Book on US Lend-Lease Aid to the USSR in WWII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book on US Lend-Lease Aid to the USSR in WWII

I have recently been trying to determine just how significant US Lend-Lease aid to the Soviet Union was to the Soviet war effort during the World War II and came across the following book:

Russia's Life-Saver: Lend-Lease Aid to the U.S.S.R. in World War II
    by Albert L. Weeks

And I have been thinking of buying it. Has anyone read it? And if so, how good an account is it? Is it nice and meaty with tons of statistics? It's not cheap at almost US$30 a copy.
    Mutare vel timere sperno

Nec Aspera Terrent

Yep. I've got that book. Great academic work, but dry as a bone.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogukuo72 View Post
      A lot of them are as dry as a bone. But if it has its full share of statistical evidence and interpretation then that's what I'm after. The book's readability is a secondary consideration.
      Mutare vel timere sperno

Nec Aspera Terrent

Comment

If you haven't already, you might want to cast an eye on these

http://cgsc.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/s...8/id/950/rec/1

and

http://cgsc.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/s.../id/2421/rec/2

R
        hmmm . . . I wonder what THIS button does . . . uh oh

Comment

Originally posted by Basaltic View Post
          I have recently been trying to determine just how significant US Lend-Lease aid to the Soviet Union was to the Soviet war effort during the World War II and came across the following book:

Russia's Life-Saver: Lend-Lease Aid to the U.S.S.R. in World War II
          by Albert L. Weeks

And I have been thinking of buying it. Has anyone read it? And if so, how good an account is it? Is it nice and meaty with tons of statistics? It's not cheap at almost US$30 a copy.
          I've read it and it is patchy. Also has a few mistakes (especially in the amount of equipment sent). He also gets quite political in all the wrong places. I really did find it a Curate's Egg of a book.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogukuo72 View Post
            Fine by me.
            I've read enough of authors trying to be clever. Just give me the facts.

Comment

Originally posted by broderickwells View Post
              I've read it and it is patchy.
              Isn't Weeks a Cold Warrior, Broderick?

Comment

Originally posted by broderickwells View Post
                I've read it and it is patchy. Also has a few mistakes (especially in the amount of equipment sent). He also gets quite political in all the wrong places. I really did find it a Curate's Egg of a book.
                You're right. I bought the book and some of the errors he makes are very basic, including dates. He makes mistakes he shouldn't make, in fact.
                Mutare vel timere sperno

Nec Aspera Terrent

Comment

Originally posted by clackers View Post
                  Isn't Weeks a Cold Warrior, Broderick?
                  Yep. Some of this does show through. What he doesn't do, and I don't know if anyone else does either, is say what was sent, where it was sent, why it was sent, and how it was used. And without trying to put any political spin on the discussion (which is kind of difficult. considering how contentious Stalin's USSR was).

He tries to be fair and describe the generally good relationship between the Russian/Soviet state and the USA, but then goes off on tangents not related to the topic.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X