Do we know these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do we know these?

Haven't seen it here yet but if it is around forgive me and delete this thread.

Popular news on the web is that Syrian rebels just got hold of a container with 5000 of Granpa Fritz rifles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EsCl...ailpage&fmt=18

/Pappy
    "Charley Dont´t Surf."

Originally posted by Pappy View Post
    Haven't seen it here yet but if it is around forgive me and delete this thread.

Popular news on the web is that Syrian rebels just got hold of a container with 5000 of Granpa Fritz rifles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EsCl...ailpage&fmt=18

/Pappy
    Makes one wonder why someone was thinking making a mint out of shipping it there instead of selling it off on the collectors market. Would sell like hotcakes.

Ed.
    The repetition of affirmations leads to belief. Once that belief becomes a deep conviction, you better wake up and look at the facts.

Comment

It is a probably a Soviet or Warsaw pact (Czech) shipment from '50 or during any AIW.It remained stored for decades.

You can wonder what stuff is found stockpiled in military warehouses all over the world.
      It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge.

Косово је Србија!
      Never go to war with a country whose national holiday celebrates a defeat in 1389.

Armored Brigade

Armored Brigade Facebook page

Comment

Originally posted by dutched View Post
        Makes one wonder why someone was thinking making a mint out of shipping it there instead of selling it off on the collectors market. Would sell like hotcakes.

Ed.
        That's a sweet stockpile of vintage assault rifles. Would be difficult to import and sell in most western countries though - even the US would not let you grandfather in those weapons. Alas...
        "There are only two professions in the world in which the amateur excels the professional. One, military strategy, and, two, prostitution."
        -- Maj. Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower

(Avatar: Commodore Edwin Ward Moore, Republic of Texas Navy)

Comment

Weapons without ammo is worth...
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

The Syrians bought alot of ex-German equipment right after the war. They had quite a few Pz IV tanks and Sturmgeschultz III and IV in service up through the 50's. So, I could see them getting a big lot of ex-German small arms too.

Of course, the problem for them in that video is clips and ammo neither of which seem present......

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Jordan View Post
              That's a sweet stockpile of vintage assault rifles. Would be difficult to import and sell in most western countries though - even the US would not let you grandfather in those weapons. Alas...
              A little bit surprised. I am aware that there can be huge differences relating to possession of fire arms from state to state in the US, but an all-out ban on autos. I know that the Government overhere (UK) has put a ban on auto and semi auto rifles after some nasty incidents nearly a decade agao.

Ed.
              The repetition of affirmations leads to belief. Once that belief becomes a deep conviction, you better wake up and look at the facts.

Comment

I posted this one in the weapons forum, with a link to the site it came from. The actual location of the rifle toter seems to be Lebanon.

Eat your heart out over this good looking beast.
                Attached Files

Comment

Maybe we can found something named "ACG Weapon Company" then organize arms smuggling from Middle East to Western collectors market we would make fortune really quickly!
                  It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge.

Косово је Србија!
                  Never go to war with a country whose national holiday celebrates a defeat in 1389.

Armored Brigade

Armored Brigade Facebook page

Comment

Posted a link in Carl's thread with some vintage and otherwise odd weapons spotted in the streets of Syria, including an STG-44...

Comment

In wars like that you can see various weapons.
                      "Give me 100 000 croatian soldiers and I will conqure all world" - Napoleon Bonaparte

Soldiers are coming and leaving while war will never end.

Comment

Originally posted by nikolas93TS View Post
                        Maybe we can found something named "ACG Weapon Company" then organize arms smuggling from Middle East to Western collectors market we would make fortune really quickly!
                        I always knew that sooner or later sticking with the ACG crowd would pay off.

Ed.

Comment

A little bit surprised. I am aware that there can be huge differences relating to possession of fire arms from state to state in the US, but an all-out ban on autos. I know that the Government overhere (UK) has put a ban on auto and semi auto rifles after some nasty incidents nearly a decade agao.

Ed.
                          It's a bit tricky here. Full autos (called, along with a few other goodies, "Class III" weapons), can only be legally owned by civilians if they were legally manufactured in the US before 1984 or imported before 1968. (I'm going for memory here and am not a firearms lawyer, but I think that's correct.) So if you own a US-made Thompson gun manufactured before 1984, or a World War II MP-40 that has a US-made receiver (which is the part that counts) made before 1984, or a 1908 Maxim gun registered before 1968, then you're OK on that front - there are other requirements, of course.

So the net result is that the US civilian machine gun market is frozen at whatever was legally available in the US in 1984. That, plus the transfer tax ($200 every time it changes hands among ultimate consumers - there may be loopholes on the tax for corporate ownership), means every year machine gun prices tend to go up. When the economy drops, the prices should go down, though folks who own MGs usually will hang onto them until the very last possible moment.

At least, that how I understand it.
                          "There are only two professions in the world in which the amateur excels the professional. One, military strategy, and, two, prostitution."

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Jordan View Post
                            It's a bit tricky here. Full autos (called, along with a few other goodies, "Class III" weapons), can only be legally owned by civilians if they were legally manufactured in the US before 1984 or imported before 1968. (I'm going for memory here and am not a firearms lawyer, but I think that's correct.) So if you own a US-made Thompson gun manufactured before 1984, or a World War II MP-40 that has a US-made receiver (which is the part that counts) made before 1984, or a 1908 Maxim gun registered before 1968, then you're OK on that front - there are other requirements, of course.

So the net result is that the US civilian machine gun market is frozen at whatever was legally available in the US in 1984. That, plus the transfer tax ($200 every time it changes hands among ultimate consumers - there may be loopholes on the tax for corporate ownership), means every year machine gun prices tend to go up. When the economy drops, the prices should go down, though folks who own MGs usually will hang onto them until the very last possible moment.

At least, that how I understand it.
                            Thanks very much for replying. It is a bit of an eye opener. Thus inspite of these restictions one could still legally acquire a genuine fully functional
                            MG but with the attached restrictions pertaining to DoM and DoI.

Ed

Comment

Thanks very much for replying. It is a bit of an eye opener. Thus inspite of these restictions one could still legally acquire a genuine fully functional
                              MG but with the attached restrictions pertaining to DoM and DoI.

Ed
                              Correct. There are plenty of shooting ranges in the United States where one can rent MGs and fire them on their range. Knob Creek is the big one (you can find YouTube vids), but a number of smaller ranges rent full-autos; I fired a MG-34, BAR, Sten, Thompson and Lewis at one near Athens, Georgia. But over time, as guns become more valuable, fewer places offer this sort of grown-up toy diversion - you might get to shoot Uzis, MP-40s or M-4s, but that's about it. Las Vegas is the exception - everything is crazier there.

When I lived in Texas, I had several friends who owned class III firearms - my favorite was a PPSh-41.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X