Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day. I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place.

Items that are gone due to a limitation of the new hosting/ forum update:
- Awards
- Flags

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie are now working.
- Color/Theme changes
- Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

One other note I have seen a lot is theme/color related items. I know this is important to all of you but at the moment the most important thing was getting you back a functioning forum with as many features I can get you back from before.

Theme/color is something we can change but it the moment I do not have the time and resources to fix all of the issue and design the site. I did do some theme updates yesterday but it is very time consuming. Please just be patient with the forum as we get it back to as close as I can to what you had before.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below. Please give me as much detail as possible .
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

Was the German Army (Heer) really so superior?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USA did not occupy Europe in the manner that the USSR did. The W. Allies liberated, the USSR conquered. France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Norway, Denmark, and Italy all got independence after being liberated. Eastern Europe did not.
    You really need to read something about the real history.
    There are no Nazis in Ukraine. Idiots

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
      *gentle nudge* Stay on topic gentlemen.
      Sorry. The usual suspects are here again with their usual tripe.

Acknowledged.
      www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Comment

Originally posted by Emtos View Post
        USA taken half of the Europe to be safe from USSR.
        That's silly we had long range bombers and the atomic age had arrived. We were safe
        just kidding Come on guys play nice

Comment

Originally posted by ljadw View Post
          Maybe,those who are claiming that the Heer was better,could also explain why it was defeated ?
          I did not say that the Heer were better but one of the things that defeated the Germans was not their poor ability and know how in fighting but the lack of the materials ( including food) to carry out the opposite. (Evidence of what the bombing of industry etc: at home was doing) I included food because it was so evident with prisoners they were hungry.As were the civilians at home, they were nearer starving. Wh en I first saw this thread I thought that it could be a good new slant but the danger is some of the usual bunch would set about taking it down the same old roads and ruin it,unfortunately there are traces of it happening already. lcm1
          'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
          " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

So when an allied force (Navy & airforce) destroy a nations transport infrastructure and stop it importing food it somehow is an 'underhand' way of winning?
            Germany had a fully intergrated Army (that is an army, navy and airforce) and it failed first on sea and then in the air.
            Lastly the ground element was destroyed and we keep hearing excuses, (mostly of the 'it was not a fair fight/we wuz outnumbered/I coulda been a contender' type) trying to mitigate the scale of the defeat.
            WW1 defeat was a stab in the back and WW2 was lost because it was not a fair fight.
            Any excuse will do rather than admit the truth...............

Comment

Originally posted by The Purist View Post
              Kiev Sept 1941.
              Would the 3rd Battle of Kharkov (Feb-March '43) not qualify?

If not, what about the 2nd Battle of Kharkov (May '42)?

Edit: OK Gerry, saw your answer on a following page.
              Last edited by panther3485; 04 Feb 12, 21:32.
              "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Originally posted by Acheron View Post
                I would say the second battle of Kahrkov, May 1942, after which the Wehrmacht eized the initiative again for the rest of the year until Stalingrad.
                I was going to suggest maybe even the 3rd Battle of Kharkov but the 2nd is probably more important.
                "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
                  I was going to suggest maybe even the 3rd Battle of Kharkov but the 2nd is probably more important.
                  If we're talking about a single battle that was a decisive German victory I'd like to point out the Battle of Narva.
                  A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.

Comment

Why are we still talking about the lesser evil?

Hot damn, why can't I get an avatar that looks like that?
                    "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
                      When I asked about the last "major" battle the Heer won, I was anticipating that the major point would be the number of forces engaged.

Certainly the "importance" of the battle is crucial to the value of the victory. But that seems like an even more difficult definition than "major"

Interesting responses to this particular point folks
                      Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics.

Comment

Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
                        I did not say that the Heer were better but one of the things that defeated the Germans was not their poor ability and know how in fighting but the lack of the materials ( including food) to carry out the opposite. (Evidence of what the bombing of industry etc: at home was doing) I included food because it was so evident with prisoners they were hungry.As were the civilians at home, they were nearer starving. Wh en I first saw this thread I thought that it could be a good new slant but the danger is some of the usual bunch would set about taking it down the same old roads and ruin it,unfortunately there are traces of it happening already. lcm1

You better watch out LCM1....... Soon our armchair experts who were not there at the pointy end of it might start calling you a fanboi !!!

Cheers,
                        Deter

Comment

Originally posted by ShAA View Post
                          Surely in some people's wet dreams they had to get all the possible advantages, but surprisingly enough, they didn't get them. What a terrible injustice for guys wearing such cool uniforms, killing inferior peoples with such efficience and staying loyal to their maniacal government to the bitter end!

You mean like Khaddaffi's Libyans.... or Assad's Syrians?
                          "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Destroyer25 View Post
                            If we're talking about a single battle that was a decisive German victory I'd like to point out the Battle of Narva.
                            IIRC yes, a German victory (a defensive one), and I'm wondering how this suggestion will go down? We'll see.

I was thinking in terms of offensive victories but there ya go.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadkiller View Post
                              When I asked about the last "major" battle the Heer won, I was anticipating that the major point would be the number of forces engaged.

Certainly the "importance" of the battle is crucial to the value of the victory. But that seems like an even more difficult definition than "major"

Interesting responses to this particular point folks
                              Opening statement from the wiki article (my bold for emphasis):

"The Third Battle of Kharkov was a series of offensive operations on the Eastern Front of World War II, undertaken by the German Army Group South against the Red Army, around the city of Kharkov, between 19 February and 15 March 1943. Known to the Germans as the Donets Campaign, and to the Soviets as the Donbas and Kharkov operations, the German counterstrike led to the destruction of approximately 52 Soviet divisions and the recapture of the cities of Kharkov and Belgorod."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Battle_of_Kharkov

Don't know about you, but to me that seems pretty significant both in terms of the size of forces involved and the level of importance.
                              Last edited by panther3485; 05 Feb 12, 01:09.

Comment

I'm no fan of the nazi fanboys, they're all a bit creepy for my liking. But to belittle the German as a fighting man in a serious discussion, takes away from the sacrifices the likes of lcm1 and his mates made, to rid the world of that perticular cancer....

The long toll of the brave
                                Is not lost in darkness
                                Over the fruitful earth
                                And athwart the seas
                                Hath passed the light of noble deeds
                                Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X