Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was the German Army (Heer) really so superior?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bloody Russians, hate 'em beyond belief... made a right mess of the dressing of the Light Brigade.
    The long toll of the brave
    Is not lost in darkness
    Over the fruitful earth
    And athwart the seas
    Hath passed the light of noble deeds
    Unquenchable forever.

Comment

• Originally posted by Von Richter View Post
      Bloody Russians, hate 'em beyond belief... made a right mess of the dressing of the Light Brigade.
      Stay at your island, stop going to war in other countries and evertyhing will be fine.
      There are no Nazis in Ukraine. © Idiots

Comment

• Originally posted by Von Richter View Post
        Bloody Russians, hate 'em beyond belief... made a right mess of the dressing of the Light Brigade.
        http://www.simonov.co.uk/cemetery.htm - The British Military Cemetery at Sebastopol

No holly bush is here; no ancient yew tree;
        Strange stones embedded in the salt marsh stand,
        And rusted by the sun, the cypresses,
        Like swords erect and planted in the sand.

And underneath the slender crowns of cypress,
        Deep in the earth beneath the flagstones laid,
        In order by battalion and by squadron,
        The British troops are drawn up on parade.

www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Comment

• Originally posted by ShAA View Post
          Ah, this clears the issue
          I could have used as exemple Harrow,or Winchester,but I don't know how is called a student of Harrow /Winchester .
          BTW:we Belgians (if such people exist) are not know for the finesse of our jokes;we are loving Benny Hill

Comment

• Originally posted by Emtos View Post
            Stay at your island, stop going to war in other countries and evertyhing will be fine.
            Yes:don't go in Afghanistan,don't go in Checheniawrong exemple,or not ?

Comment

• Originally posted by ljadw View Post
              I could have used as exemple Harrow,or Winchester,but I don't know how is called a student of Harrow /Winchester .
              BTW:we Belgians (if such people exist) are not know for the finesse of our jokes;we are loving Benny Hill

You have to love Benny Hill...
              "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
              "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

FYI

Harrovian

Wykehamists - yes really I don't understand it either

Comment

Yes:don't go in Afghanistan,don't go in Checheniawrong exemple,or not ?
                  Afghanistan yes. Chechnia no because it's part of Russia.
                  There are no Nazis in Ukraine. © Idiots

Comment

• Originally posted by Emtos View Post
                    Afghanistan yes. Chechnia no because it's part of Russia.
                    What if Chechnians don't want to be part of Russia? After all they are diffrent people and may want to rule themselves. That's just the reason Russia is not real nation state but empire, trying to rule non-Russians.

Chechnians are no more Russians than my people are/were.

Or is the national self-determination only empty word when we speak of Russian subjects?

This just argument about principles, in real world I do not like much of prospect of independent Chechnia, as I do not islam or islamic states. It would be quite probable should they get rid of Russian rule they would install jihadist government.

Comment

You know, I'd been told so much about refined British humour, and the first time I encountered it in the form of Benny Hill show it was a traumatic experience indeed.

Seriously, how can you call a fat middle-aged guy running around and patting another short and bald guy on the head funny? Especially when this all is accompanied by ceaseless background laughter. I see that Britain went a long road of humour sophistication from the times of Oscar Wilde
                      www.histours.ru

Comment

• Originally posted by Tiberius Duval View Post
                        What if Chechnians don't want to be part of Russia? After all they are diffrent people and may want to rule themselves. That's just the reason Russia is not real nation state but empire, trying to rule non-Russians.
                        What does "ruling non-Russians"? When there's an object of rule, there's a subject of rule too. Now if I was entitled to a Chechen slave or something like that, you might say something about "ruling them". To your information, it were only the Chechens who enslaved Russians after the breakup of the Soviet Union and committed ethnic cleansing of the Russian population of that republic.

Chechnians are no more Russians than my people are/were.
                        This depends on the definition of a "Russian", whether you mean one's ethnic background or his nationality.

Or is the national self-determination only empty word when we speak of Russian subjects?
                        Good luck trying to preach this in Europe, like in Spain or Romania, or lots of other places.

This just argument about principles, in real world I do not like much of prospect of independent Chechnia, as I do not islam or islamic states. It would be quite probable should they get rid of Russian rule they would install jihadist government.
                        That's the whole issue here, that ideally one thing could be done easily, but in reality it entails so many negative consequences it's better to compromise on a "bad peace than a good war".
                        www.histours.ru

Comment

You know, I'd been told so much about refined British humour, and the first time I encountered it in the form of Benny Hill show it was a traumatic experience indeed.

Seriously, how can you call a fat middle-aged guy running around and patting another short and bald guy on the head funny? Especially when this all is accompanied by ceaseless background laughter. I see that Britain went a long road of humour sophistication from the times of Oscar Wilde
                          My understanding is that in much of the English-speaking world (and this certainly includes Australia), British humour is widely considered to be the best and the funniest. This includes (or more accurately, used to include) Benny Hill. But two things about Benny Hill: (1) tapping the little bald guy on the head was little more than an amusing mannerism and not the core of his humour even though he repeats it a lot. Much of his humour revolved around how men can lust after women but often finish up on the losing end (and a lot of it is considered sexist today - a debateable point) (2) Benny Hill's style of humour is from the late 60's and early 70's and was not really 'trend setting' even for that time; and British humour has evolved considerably since then. While there are many old farts like me who still like Benny Hill (at least partly for nostalgic reasons and also partly for the crumpet), his style of humour is generally considered pretty much outdated.

Finally, it should of course be noted that humour is a very subjective thing and varies greatly depending on what part of the World you live in; never mind the variations between individuals.

Anyway, enough of this. I see we are steadily veering further and further off topic; and I have just contributed to it! Maybe we should start a thread on favourite TV comedy shows. In the meantime, let's get the discussion back on course, eh?
                          Last edited by panther3485; 13 Feb 12, 16:46.
                          "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

• Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
                            Anyway, enough of this. I see we are steadily veering further and further off topic; and I have just contributed to it! Maybe we should start a thread on favourite TV comedy shows. In the meantime, let's get the discussion back on course, eh?
                            Ok, moving (slightly) back on topic but trying to keep up with the thread.

General der Infanterie Albert Hans Burkhalter.

Enough said.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Ibis View Post
                              Ok, moving (slightly) back on topic but trying to keep up with the thread.

General der Infanterie Albert Hans Burkhalter.

Enough said.
                              But I believe he was a Luftwaffe general. He was Klink's superior and Klink was definitely Luftwaffe.
                              Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

What does "ruling non-Russians"? When there's an object of rule, there's a subject of rule too. Now if I was entitled to a Chechen slave or something like that, you might say something about "ruling them". To your information, it were only the Chechens who enslaved Russians after the breakup of the Soviet Union and committed ethnic cleansing of the Russian population of that republic.
                                Ruling in sense of self determination. What if majority of Chechen's in Chechnya want have for example sharia law in force, but Moscow doesn't?
                                This depends on the definition of a "Russian", whether you mean one's ethnic background or his nationality.
                                Usually I mean ethnic background. One can change his passport but not ethnicity.

That's the whole issue here, that ideally one thing could be done easily, but in reality it entails so many negative consequences it's better to compromise on a "bad peace than a good war".
                                Yes that is so.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X