Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was the German Army (Heer) really so superior?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
    Exactly.

Contrary to popular belief in some quarters, most the French Army actually fought hard, with bravery and determination. They continued fighting for some weeks after Dunkirk. Only when the position was clearly hopeless did they agree to throw in the towel, and even then there were one or two die-hard units that proved very reluctant to do so. If I remember correctly, they had to send in a more senior French officer to persuade them that it really was all over and that they should surrender.
    Also overlooked is that the French had to defend the evacuation of Dunkirk.

It is easy to poke fun at the French, but they seem to have always prevailed one way or another. Not many can claim the same. Few can match their long military history.
    Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

• Originally posted by Salinator View Post
      Also overlooked is that the French had to defend the evacuation of Dunkirk.

It is easy to poke fun at the French, but they seem to have always prevailed one way or another. Not many can claim the same. Few can match their long military history.
      There were British doing that as well,not all of them were going home. lcm1
      'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
      " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Few can match their long military history.
        We can matey... and then some.

Don't forget their Army mutinied, in the first lot, while supposedly defending their Cuntry!
        The long toll of the brave
        Is not lost in darkness
        Over the fruitful earth
        And athwart the seas
        Hath passed the light of noble deeds
        Unquenchable forever.

Comment

• Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
          Yes. Both British and French units helped to cover the withdrawal. And a substantial number of French troops were evacuated along with the British ones. So there was still good teamwork and mutual support going on.
          "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Originally posted by Von Richter View Post

Don't forget their Army mutinied, in the first lot, while supposedly defending their Cuntry!
            Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
            Yes. Both British and French units helped to cover the withdrawal. And a substantial number of French troops were evacuated along with the British ones. So there was still good teamwork and mutual support going on.
            Agreed. Vote for the ROYALISTS.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=119658
            Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Done, but they don't seem to be polling very well at the moment.
              "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

• Originally posted by Von Richter View Post

Yes you can.

But their Army only "half mutinied". They didn't quit defending their country, just refused to go on any more senseless attacks for little or no gain except massive casualties. The only that surprises me about that was that more armies didn't do the same thing.
                Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                  Yes you can.

The only that surprises me about that was that more armies didn't do the same thing.
                  They did... the Russians and the Germans.
                  Is not lost in darkness
                  Over the fruitful earth
                  And athwart the seas
                  Unquenchable forever.

Comment

They did... the Russians and the Germans.
                    Yes but with France it didn't cause defeat.
                    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Yes but with France it didn't cause defeat.

It does show the God given superiority of the English over the other European riff-raff though, dunnit?
                      Is not lost in darkness
                      Over the fruitful earth
                      And athwart the seas
                      Unquenchable forever.

Comment

It does show the God given superiority of the English over the other European riff-raff though, dunnit?
                        Let's hope then, that the Scots, Welsh and Irish don't mind being dismissed as "other European riff-raff"!

Comment

Let's hope then, that the Scots, Welsh and Irish don't mind being dismissed as "other European riff-raff"!
                          You have to be of Anglo Saxon descent to be looked upon as English nowadays apparently which makes us a fast disappearing minority but while I am still around By God, I AM ENGLISH!!! lcm1
                          'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Exactly.

Contrary to popular belief in some quarters, most the French Army actually fought hard, with bravery and determination. They continued fighting for some weeks after Dunkirk. Only when the position was clearly hopeless did they agree to throw in the towel, and even then there were one or two die-hard units that proved very reluctant to do so. If I remember correctly, they had to send in a more senior French officer to persuade them that it really was all over and that they should surrender.
                            Your Golden rule reminds me of that other old goodie,....'Everyone is equal but some are more equal than others'. lcm1
                            'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Yes you can.

But their Army only "half mutinied". They didn't quit defending their country, just refused to go on any more senseless attacks for little or no gain except massive casualties. The only that surprises me about that was that more armies didn't do the same thing.
                              Hi Bob,I must admit you have something there! lcm1
                              'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

You have to be of Anglo Saxon descent to be looked upon as English nowadays apparently which makes us a fast disappearing minority but while I am still around By God, I AM ENGLISH!!! lcm1
                                No problem with that.

I just hope for Von's personal safety that there are not too many Scots, Welsh or Irish in his neighbourhood, if he's going to call them all riff-raff!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X