Belgian Holiday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belgian Holiday

I will be spending some time in Belgium soon. If there was just one place I was able to visit concerning WW1 history where would you suggest I visit?

Here? http://www.greatwar.co.uk/ypres-sali...tuary-wood.htm

Many thanks in advance .
    How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
    Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
    I will be spending some time in Belgium soon. If there was just one place I was able to visit concerning WW1 history where would you suggest I visit?

Here? http://www.greatwar.co.uk/ypres-sali...tuary-wood.htm

Many thanks in advance .
    Passendale,Ypres,Vladslo (monument by Kathe Kollwitz),Waregem (a very beautiful American cimetery):the whole Western part of the province West-Flanders .

Comment

Go visit "In Flander's Field" Museum in Ieper Nick, I've been to many museums in my life and it's one of the best IMO

Greets,
      Stratego
      Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Comment

Originally posted by ljadw View Post
        Passendale,Ypres,Vladslo (monument by Kathe Kollwitz),Waregem (a very beautiful American cimetery):the whole Western part of the province West-Flanders .
        The greatness of ACG on display.

Waregem, never heard of it before. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
          The greatness of ACG on display.

Waregem, never heard of it before. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
          more information is available on :American Battle Monuments Commission :Flanders Field American Cemetery and Memorial

Comment

Be sure to visit the Menin Gate in Ieper, but make sure you come back or stay around until eight o'clock in the evening - every night buglers perform a Last Post ceremony that can't be missed - one of the most moving ceremonies I've ever seen. Hearing those mournful trumpet notes while looking and reading at all the names of the missing - its heart wrenching.

The Flanders Field museum is indeed the best. Sanctuary Wood is a little more rustic and privately owned, but they have a huge collection of grisly and graphic war photos to sift through - see how much your stomach can take before you want to move on. Outside, behind the mueum, they have well perserved trenches and shell holes you can walk around and explore. I recommend a visit there.

Lots of stuff to see around Passchendaele too - a nice little museum there as well, but make sure you set aside some time to walk around Tyne Cott cemetery, the largest Commomwealth cemetery in the world.

And - while in Ieper, walk around the old city ramparts on the old wall that surrounds the town core. Its a beautiful little stroll, gives you a nice view of the moat below, the Menin Gate memorial, and a couple beautiful little war cemeteries.

There's so much to see around Ieper, but those are the main highlites. The Canadian "Brooding Soldier" memorial in the little hamlet of St. Julien is something to see, as is the German cemetery in Langemark - very cold and morose. And, there is a nice memorial and perserved bunker where John McCrae wrote his "In Flanders Field" poem.

Those are my key suggestions to Ieper. But you could easily spend a 4 days there and still not see everything!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X