Best fighter and bomber of WW1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best fighter and bomber of WW1

I am trying to figure out what was the best fighter and the best bomber of WW1.
    Google does not always bring up what I want it to.

For the Allies.
    — Which was the best fighter for the Allies?

— Which was the best bomber for the Allies?

For the Axis.
    — Which was the best fighter for the Axis?

— Which was the best bomber for the Axis?

For both sides.
    — Which side had the best fighter?

— Which side had the best bomber?
    Last edited by Johnny_Reb; 01 May 10, 12:49.
    In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes
    - Benjamin Franklin, U.S. statesman, author, and scientist

Allied fighter: SPAD XIII (Runner up either SE5a or Cammel)
    Allied Bomber: DH4 (Runner up Handley Page)

Central Powers fighter: Fokker DVII (Runner up Albatros DIII)
    Central Powers bomber: Friedrichshafen G.III (quite a few others)

Best overall fighter SPAD XIII
    Best overall bomber: DH4

Comment

For the Allies, I'd go for the Sopwith F1 (Camel). Lethal in combat, if tricky for a novice (Honourable mention has to be the Bristol M1C, a superb fighter that was too radical for the RFC in France but wiped out the Turk's air arm in Mesopotamia in days).

In bombers, I'm torn between the fast DH 4 and the heavy 0/400.

For the axis, Fokker D VII (D VII and Pfalz D XII honourable mentions).

Axis bombers, Gotha G IV, Although I've a soft spot for the big Fredrichshafens.
      Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

I agree, it really does look awsome.

Comment

Another factor

One must also consider the period of the war. At the outset, the Fokkers ruled the skies because they had forward-firing machine guns. This period in the air war is often called "the Fokker scourge." It wasn't until one of these was captured by the Allies and reverse-engineered before they developed the forward-firing technology.

If we are viewing the war in its entirety, I would be partial to the Camel as the best fighter. It had great climbing power, although tricky to fly because of the torque of the engine. Used in the hands of an experienced pilot, however, that torque made for wicked turning capabilities. In terms of bombers, I've always been a fan of the Handley Page, although not many were produced.

Comment

Sorry, I meant the DVIII as an honourable mention.

The Fokker Eindecker was indeed nasty, until the likes of the Vickers FB 5, Airco DH 2 and Nieport 11 got its measure.

I've always believed the two terms to be interchangeable, particularly as they lost.
            Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Simmons View Post
              One must also consider the period of the war.
              Very true. The aircraft that was top dog one day would be obsolete 12 months later.

For me:

Allies: Nieuport ----> Camel/Spad XIII -----> Snipe
              Central: Fokker E.III ------> Albatross D.III -------> Fokker D.VII

But it is pretty subjective and depends on the pilot using it. All aircraft have advantages and disadvantages and all were deadly in the right hands.

I'm not a bomber fan boy but the Ilya Muromets deserves at least a mention.

A Russian built heavy it had 4X220 hp engines, could carry 3 tons of bombs and a range of nearly 500 miles. 73 were built and only 2 lost to enemy fire and 2 more to accidents, which is a pretty good record for an aircraft that went into action in Feb 1915.
              Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Originally posted by The Ibis
                No major disagreement, though I'm partial to the Dr.1 as my runner up for the CP just cause it looks awesome.

Also, well done - its Central Powers, not Axis.
                O ok I didn't know what to call it so I called it Axis.
                In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes
                - Benjamin Franklin, U.S. statesman, author, and scientist

Comment

The Russian bomber

I hadn't considered the Russian bomber mentioned here. That's a tremendous range and whopping payload, and apparently had a great service record. I'll have to look that one up.

Comment

I hadn't considered the Russian bomber mentioned here. That's a tremendous range and whopping payload, and apparently had a great service record. I'll have to look that one up.
                    Speaking of looking this one up, does anyone know of a good website that compares the specs of different fighters and bombers?

Without the Specs, you are just guessing at what the best planes would be.

Comment

Originally posted by TJN006 View Post
                      Speaking of looking this one up, does anyone know of a good website that compares the specs of different fighters and bombers?

Without the Specs, you are just guessing at what the best planes would be.

Type in 'The Aerodrome Forum' and away you go!
                      The long toll of the brave
                      Is not lost in darkness
                      Over the fruitful earth
                      And athwart the seas
                      Hath passed the light of noble deeds
                      Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Fighters Allies Fr SPAD
                        UK Sopwith Camel
                        German Fokker D VII
                        Bomber Allies Vickers DH9a
                        German Gotha twin engine
                        Risen Giants

"To all who serve , have or will serve , Thank You"

Comment

I'm tempted to go with the Nieuport, if for no other reason than due to fond memories of playing with it on "Blue Max", back in the days of the C64!

No, to be serious, it's a very difficult question. Tech advanced so much throughout the war, it's tough really to give an opinion based on anything other than partiality.

I do rather like the Eindecker, though. Beautiful machine.

As to bombers, not sure. Was the Hydrabad post-war? I seem to recall 1923, not sure where that number has popped out from, though.

Comment

cool plane

I've got to mention the German Taube (or Taub...can't remember the spelling. Its name means "dove.") It was a recon plane that actually looked like a big bird, with feathered wings and a bird-like tail. It's an primitive yet impressive-looking plane; however, it wasn't used much after 1914. I'm not sure of its effectiveness, but it had a unique design; therefore it is one of my favorite WWI planes.

As far as the Camel goes (which I think was the best), I got to experience flying one that was restored off of a remote airstrip in West Virginia. It could turn faster than a Nolan Ryan curve ball, and could shoot vertically with ease (that was until the pilot cut the engine and we started free-falling through the sky). Then at the last minute we pulled out, just barely over the trees. I'd like to fly in a Spad or Fokker for comparison.

Comment

I've got to mention the German Taube (or Taub...can't remember the spelling. Its name means "dove.") It was a recon plane that actually looked like a big bird, with feathered wings and a bird-like tail. It's an primitive yet impressive-looking plane; however, it wasn't used much after 1914. I'm not sure of its effectiveness, but it had a unique design; therefore it is one of my favorite WWI planes.
                              The Taube was used to drop bombs on Paris very early in the war. They didn't cause much damage, and it was even a minor form of entertainment as some of the residents of Paris would come out to watch the daily affair that was called "five o'clock Taube time".
                              Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X