Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German Imperial Militaria

Hello guy's,

since many of you are into collecting military items, I thought of opening up this thread that is in regards to German Imperial times of 1860-1919.

Offcourse I would welcome and love to see artifacts from that period also from other countries.
    My family has a very long tradition in the Bavarian - and later German Imperial Army. So I will start by forwarding a Tschapka of my Grandfather who served in the 1st Royal Bavarian Ulan Brigade as did my Greatgrandfather or 1. Königlich Bayerische Ulanenregiment „Kaiser Wilhelm II., König von Preußen“

At the time he wore this Tschapka he was a Faehnrich - officer cadett.

I hope that it is okay to start that kind of thread and if it shouldn't be in this section, - maybe one of the moderators could kindly shift it to a more suitable place or section.

Regards
    WildeSau
    Last edited by Kruska; 20 Jun 10, 18:16.

Great idea for a thread Mr Kruska ..(like having a deja-vu )
    Here's some ww1 german medals from my collection :
    A beautiful silver medal commemorating the start of the war /feldzug Belgien 1914 ...
    the other a Franz Friedrich cross , comparable to an EK2 .

enjoy ..

Attached Files
    Last edited by Heinrich; 19 Mar 10, 10:54.
    ' Because it has Electrolytes ! '

regards:
    Henk

Comment

Here's another medal , its slightly older ,1870 war period ..
      Gott segne das Deutsche Vaterland -
      Zum gedachtnis an die 50jahrigen jubelfeier der Deutsche erhebung

enjoy
      Attached Files

regards:
      Henk

Comment

Originally posted by Kruska View Post
        I hope that it is okay to start that kind of thread and if it shouldn't be in this section, - maybe one of the moderators could kindly shift it to a more suitable place or section.
        WildeSau, quite happy with your initiative. By all means continue here
        BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Another german ww1 medal , Furs Vaterland 1914 , this one's also a commemorative medal. Beautiful details en very well made in jugenstil .
          This was a groundfind ,covered in tar or something similar ..
          the pics were made at 3/4 cleaning , looks like new now..
          Absurd symbolism ..not an expensive medal , but one of my favourites ..

( i dont like to clean old objects , but had no choice with this one as it was scratched a lot before also ..)

enjoy

Attached Files

regards:
          Henk

Comment

Hello MajorSennef,
            thanks for the green light

Hello Heinrich

Absurd symbolism ..not an expensive medal , but one of my favourites ..
            Yes indeed - but is is one of my favourits too - I like about anything that comes close to art deco.
            The Friedrich Franz, Military Merit Cross (Militärverdienstkreuz) is a real nice one too - your sample really displayes the bronze gilt to its best extend.
            Real nice collective medals to have - congrats

Regards
            Kruska

Comment

The below shows a Bavarian Officer Sash,
              I find it amazing that after such a long time the silver threading still sparkels as from yesterday - the blue cotton strings got a bit worn out though.

Regards
              Kruska

Comment

Both the sass and the Ulan tschapka are beautiful items Kruska and knowing their the original pieces from your family history makes them truely unique .
                Both show they were handled with a lot TLC over the years as theyre in museum quality ..
                Thanks so much for showing them ..I'm shure in time a lot more fascinating pieces from your collection will appear here :-)

To add another piece , here's a 1914 patriottic silver broche showing General von Hindenburg in great detail .

enjoy

Attached Files
                Last edited by Heinrich; 20 Mar 10, 09:06.

regards:
                Henk

Comment

Kaiser

The kaiser was dumb to think he could beat the allies. And why must Germnay always lose?
                  HEIA SAFARI!!
                  Afrika Korps, 1943 or in German "Deustche Afrika Korps(DAK)

Comment

Originally posted by Desert Fox 42 View Post
                    The kaiser was dumb to think he could beat the allies. And why must Germnay always lose?
                    Hello Desert Fox,

The Germans didn't always loose - but Kaiser Wilhelm II acted stupidly, and Hitler was plain dumb - so Germany lost.

BTW, please don't take me as being offensive - but I would love to keep this thread as for what it is - displaying military items from the German Imperial period of 1860 - 1919.

This Forum has a very professional section covering non-military item threads in regards to WWI and WWII - you might try and place your question there - thanks.

Regards
                    Kruska

Comment

Originally posted by Heinrich View Post
                      Both the sass and the Ulan tschapka are beautiful items Kruska and knowing their the original pieces from your family history makes them truely unique .
                      Both show they were handled with a lot TLC over the years as theyre in museum quality ..
                      Thanks so much for showing them ..I'm shure in time a lot more fascinating pieces from your collection will appear here :-)

To add another piece , here's a 1914 patriottic silver broche showing General von Hindenburg in great detail .

enjoy
                      Hello Heinrich,

thanks for the kind words. I as those family members before me try to keep our military history items in as good a condition as possible.

The sash is not a family item - I got it from e-bay - and had waited for years to get my hands on a well preserved piece - since the original is not in such a good condition.

Your Hindenburg broche is in a very good condition as well - and also not easy to come by.

Below is the China medall for combattants - that one is indeed from my Great grandfather.

Upps, that came out big
                      Regards
                      Kruska

Comment

Impressive stuff, both of you.

As for the symbolism... Do you know who the lady is? I cant quite make her out... could be Victoria, Bavaria, Germania, borussia, saxonia...?
                        Ha, wie so stolz und hehr
                        Wirft über Land und Meer
                        Weithin der deutsche Aar
                        Flammenden Blick.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimi View Post
                          Impressive stuff, both of you.

As for the symbolism... Do you know who the lady is? I cant quite make her out... could be Victoria, Bavaria, Germania, borussia, saxonia...?
                          Hello Kimi,
                          ein herzliches willkommen and thanks for the compliment

that's a good question, maybe Heinrich has a good or the right answer.

My guess would be the Greek Nymphe Daphne?

Du kannst ja bestimmt Deutsch - oder?

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echter_Lorbeer

Die Herkunft des lateinischen Namens für den Baum (Laurus) ist unbekannt, dagegen erinnert die altgriechische Bezeichnung daphne (δάφνη) daran, dass sich die Nymphe Daphne in einen Lorbeerstrauch verwandelte, um den Nachstellungen Apolls zu entgehen. Dieser trug als Zeichen seines Kummers über die nicht erwiderte Liebe einen Kranz aus Lorbeerzweigen.
                          In einigen Sprachen Südosteuropas und des Nahen Ostens erinnert die Bezeichnung für Lorbeerblätter an diese Sage: So bedeutet hebräisch aley daphna (עלי דפנה) „Blätter der Daphne“. Türkisch defne, albanisch dafinë, bulgarisch dafinov list (дафинов лист), rumänisch dafin, neugriechisch dafni (δάφνη) sind ebenso Belege für die Herkunft des Namens.
                          Beim Einzug als erfolgreicher Triumphator in die Stadt Rom war der Feldherr mit Lorbeer bekränzt (Corona Triumphalis). Mit dem Übergang zum Kaiserreich trugen auch die römischen Kaiser einen Lorbeerkranz, und später erhielten ihn auch Sieger bei Spielen. Der Lorbeerkranz steht bis heute sprichwörtlich für eine besondere Auszeichnung. Er gilt als Symbol des Ruhmes, Sieges und Friedens. Im angelsächsischen Raum gibt es den offiziellen Titel des poet laureate („lorbeergekrönter Dichter“).

Do you collect German Imperial militaria as well?

Regards
                          Kruska

Comment

Danke schön Kimi ..
                            I think its Victoria or Nike if greek mythology.
                            Used to think at first it was grapes held up for the soldier to eat as if all he had to do was open his mouth to enjoy the fruits of honour, but now after cleaning its clearly a laural wreath for a victor and hes ready to receive .

Just saw Kruska was quicker lol ..could be Daphne too ,but feel a bit doubt because of she's wearing wings ..when i try a search on nymphe daphe shes pictured as a human without wings.

Wondering about the identity of Jubelfeier medal's dame , winged and lifting a sword with a high held head speedmarching bringing a laural wreath in hand like shes on her way ..Germania?
                            Last edited by Heinrich; 20 Mar 10, 20:20.

regards:
                            Henk

Comment

Hello guy's,

taking the Imperial German times into account it should be Germania. Even though I believe that Daphne is mingled into it since a Germania as such only comes into existence in Germanic terms as the Goddess Viktoria.
                              So Viktoria + Daphne = Germania?
                              There is an article about this here:
                              http://www.pol-ag.de/html/walhalla.html

This is the China Medal for non-combattants - got it from an auction company.

Regards
                              Kruska

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X