Tunnels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tunnels

Does anyone have any info on digging tunnels to the enemy lines and then packing the end of the tunnel with explosives? I believe both sides did this?

Re: Tunnels

Originally posted by Tiger1
    Does anyone have any info on digging tunnels to the enemy lines and then packing the end of the tunnel with explosives? I believe both sides did this?
    The Allieds used them on the Western Front, but my memory fails me right now where exactly. And apparently somewhere near a village in Belgium, there are still 2 or 3 of the tunnels filled with explosives unnacounted for. My memory will come back.
    http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Re: Re: Tunnels

Originally posted by dannybou
      My memory will come back.
      That's what they all say! :P
      “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Yeah.....whena tunnel explodes underneath of ya!

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Tunnels

Originally posted by Overseer
          That's what they all say! :P
          Yeah, didn't he say that last week - but forgot again?

Dr. S.
          Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

What was the question again?

Comment

Tunnels were used all over the Western Front. Ypres, Somme, Vimy Ridge, Paschendale. They were also used quite extensively in the Alps. Usually mines/explsoives would be detonated in them just before a major attack. They could also be used as secret jumping off points for attacks.
              There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full. -Henry Kissinger

Comment

Originally posted by Napoleon
                Tunnels were used all over the Western Front. Ypres, Somme, Vimy Ridge, Paschendale. They were also used quite extensively in the Alps. Usually mines/explsoives would be detonated in them just before a major attack. They could also be used as secret jumping off points for attacks.
                Napy I saw a documentary a few months ago on unexploded mines/tunnels near a town in Belgium and for the life of me I can't remember the location. Would you know? It was on History Television.

Comment

It's not a new thing, of course. The Yankees did it twice (Petersburg and Vicksburg) during the WBTS. Neither had the success they intended. And even before that, it was done in the Middle Ages. There is a castle on the Rhein (my memory is also gone, so I can't tell you which one) which still has galleries, or "mines" extending far outside the walls. The intent being to pack them with explosives and detonate them under besieging forces.

JS
                  Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                  Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                  http://www.mormon.org
                  http://www.sca.org
                  http://www.scv.org/
                  http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Janos
                    It's not a new thing, of course. The Yankees did it twice (Petersburg and Vicksburg) during the WBTS. Neither had the success they intended. And even before that, it was done in the Middle Ages. There is a castle on the Rhein (my memory is also gone, so I can't tell you which one) which still has galleries, or "mines" extending far outside the walls. The intent being to pack them with explosives and detonate them under besieging forces.

JS
                    Even before explosives were used mining was used to undermine foundations and hopefully make towers collapse.
                    Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

i watched a show on tunneling in ww1. the british had like 7 mines and blew the hell out of the german lines before an attack. then in the 80's i belive some mines wernt detonated and it went off by some village. i cant remember what the village was.
                      PvtJohnson

Hold your ground men, hold your ground!

Don't be a fool, wrap your tool.

If your not mad enough to bare nuckel box, your not mad at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Napoleon
                        I didn't know that about the alps. Could you provide me with more info about the fighting there?

Comment

The VC used them exstensively as well, but that is another war and another time. I also believe the germans used them during Tannenbaum in 1918. Will have to look into that
                          Govenour Of Texas and all southern provinces. Kepper Of The Holy Woodchipper.

Comment

Re: Tunnels

Originally posted by Tiger1
                            Yes, mining (or sapping) has been a part of warfare for centuries, and both sides did employ this during World War I (don't know about Eastern Front). Including instances of mining and counter-mining, to some effect. though not as much as either side would have hoped for. I you wish to look further on this aspect of warfare, looking up information by and about Marshall Vauban, widely regarded as the premier employer of siegecraft and combat engineering.
                            Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
                            (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X