WW1 Vets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 Vets

Often overlooked by people more interested in WW2 veterans WW1 vets have been nearly forgotten over the years. Now as we are in the 21st century their numbers are rapidly dimishing. I know that in Canada we lost our last veteran who saw combat serivce in 2003. These WW1 veterans are a treasure trove of information about the Great War and the time period surrounding it. It is quite sad that they are for the most part overlooked and their stories forgotten. Does anyone know an exact number of how many WW1 vets there are left? I know the number for Canada but what is it worldwide? Does anyone know?
    There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full. -Henry Kissinger

You ask some tough questions my friend. I did some digging around and found some answers. (8 months old) And a web site I think you will find very interesting. Here we go, This is from the Times Union Albany NY. Dated 9 Nov.2003. According to the Dept of Veterans affairs there are 44 doughboys left in the U.S. Now here is the web site www.aftermathww1.com This site is great.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger1
      You ask some tough questions my friend. I did some digging around and found some answers. (8 months old) And a web site I think you will find very interesting. Here we go, This is from the Times Union Albany NY. Dated 9 Nov.2003. According to the Dept of Veterans affairs there are 44 doughboys left in the U.S. Now here is the web site www.aftermathww1.com This site is great.
      Nice link Tiger
      http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

I think he has since passed away, but I love the insights Eugene Roche had on numerous WW I themed shows on the History Channel. It seemed that at one time or another he had been in the trenches, in tanks and airplanes........for his age (he was born in 1898) he had a remarkably detailed memory.
        Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Thanks for the link Tiger:thumb:
          B. FETT

Comment

They're are only a handfull of these men left. Literally.

Comment

Originally posted by nreese21 View Post
              They're are only a handfull of these men left. Literally.
              The U.S. just suffered another casualty, one who served aboard the U.S.S. Wyoming. I think the number of surviving WWI vets in America is down to 25.
              "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

I remember posting this once before, but here it is again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivi...of_World_War_I
                "Beneath its gilded beauty, though, there lies a poorly designed game which rewards the greedy and violent, and punishes the hardworking and honest; and if you think about it, that's a good representation of capitalism" - Nightfreeze about Eve Online

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X