Sympathy for the poor and downtrodden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sympathy for the poor and downtrodden

I read a story today about a U-boat operating in American waters in 1918. The U-151 spotted " an old craft that came lumbering up" The U-boat surfaced and fired a shot across her bow,at which time a group of black and white men came pouring onto deck jumped into the lifeboats and started rowing furiously toward the U-boat. "You will be sunk in ten minutes" Said the U-boat skipper von Nostitz. At which the skipper of the old boat twanged " Well ain't that the Dickens, what'll we do now"? Von Nostitz continues by saying,"He seemed so genuinely downcast that I asked him where the craft was from and where were they heading." "We're from Mississippi and we're whalin'-leastwise we intended to"."We were heading up to Greenland to do a little harpooning, but now it looks like we ain't going to. It sure is tough". He continued that the ship was owned by several poverty stricken families in a town on the Mississippi coast. It was all they had in the world. "You don't really have to sink us, cap'n do ya"? " It would certainly be tough on us". Von Nostitz says "I looked at that ancient tub, she meant little indeed in the affairs of the World War". "All right skipper get your men back aboard. You can go". "Well cap'n that sure is good of ya". His drawling voice remained perfectly even but you could tell the words were straight from the heart. His crew cheered with joy. A few men even trying to do a dance in the lifeboat. They put back to their ship with willing oars. The ancient whaler picked up her course and went limping along to the north. " We on the deck of the U-151 had to smile at each other"........ I do love a happy ending, don't you?

I'm still waiting for the payoff - let me guess, the ship was carrying depth charges?

Dr. S.
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister
      I'm still waiting for the payoff - let me guess, the ship was carrying depth charges?

Dr. S.
      No payoff Dr. S, just put that story out there to see if you were getting soft in your old age.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger1
        No payoff Dr. S, just put that story out there to see if you were getting soft in your old age.
        Oh, I see. Oops. Sorry if I ruined the mood!

Dr. S.
        Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister
          Oh, I see. Oops. Sorry if I ruined the mood!

Dr. S.
          Not at all.

Comment

Excellent story!
            There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full. -Henry Kissinger

Comment

Originally posted by Napoleon
              Excellent story!
              Thank You Napoleon.

Comment

No punchline. Like the lifeboats didn't secretly put explosives on the U-Boat?

That's a sad ending.....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X