WW1 Weapons: The Zeppelin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 Weapons: The Zeppelin

This thread is devoted for talk about the zeppelin. I am currently doing some research so that I can write up a nice report on these vehicles. What are people's thoughts on them? What was their impact on WW1?
    There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full. -Henry Kissinger

Probably a negligible impact militarily, but they heralded a new facet of warfare - attack from the sky. It meant that all future wars would be fought in three dimensions, not just on the ground.

This in turn would lead to almost endless possibilities - attacking civilian targets far behind the front lines for example.

Dr. S.
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Here's some questions. Did the zepplins of WW1 fall under the navy? I thought I read that somewhere. What size bomb load did they carry? Number of crew? How did they get men to serve on these flying bombs? They poked along, a good wind could do them in, and god help you if there's a spark from static electricity. What was the life expectancy of a zepplin crew? I sure can not question the bravery of their crews though. Thanks

Comment

Ok, some partial answers to your questions. Zeppelins did not necessarily fall under the command of the navy. Although the navy possed the most zeppelins in Germany's Armed Forces the army also controlled a few. The navy used their's the most and were in charge of bombing England, however, sometimes the Army would participate in raids.
        I do not know what the life expectancy was of a Zeppelin crew but 40% of all Zeppelin crew's were casulties.
        Another interesting fact: The cost of building the Zeppelins was more than five times the cost of the damage they inflicted.
        There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full. -Henry Kissinger

Comment

Originally posted by Napoleon
          Ok, some partial answers to your questions. Zeppelins did not necessarily fall under the command of the navy. Although the navy possed the most zeppelins in Germany's Armed Forces the army also controlled a few. The navy used their's the most and were in charge of bombing England, however, sometimes the Army would participate in raids.
          I do not know what the life expectancy was of a Zeppelin crew but 40% of all Zeppelin crew's were casulties.
          Another interesting fact: The cost of building the Zeppelins was more than five times the cost of the damage they inflicted.
          Thanks for the answers.

Comment

Originally posted by Napoleon
            Yikes! I guess that's why they didn't catch on to the degree that airplanes did!

JS
            Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
            Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
            http://www.mormon.org
            http://www.sca.org
            http://www.scv.org/
            http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

Exactly, by the end of the war heavy bombers were being used by both sides far more effectively than Zeppelins. They just couldn't compete in efficiency, and bomb capacity. The impact of the Zepellin on the First World War was more of a pyschological impact than anything else.

Comment

How much bombs could a zepplin carry?
                PvtJohnson

Hold your ground men, hold your ground!

Don't be a fool, wrap your tool.

If your not mad enough to bare nuckel box, your not mad at all.

Comment

Originally posted by PvtJohnson
                  How much bombs could a zepplin carry?
                  I have been doing some research on zepplins, but I haven't come across an exact number.
                  In honour I gained them, and in honour I will die with them.

-Vice-Admiral Horatio Nelson, 1st Viscount Nelson, Duke of Bronte, KB, RN

Comment

only a few kilos <( a few hundred in later series. will find exact numbers for the only 100 or so zepps that were built.

it not an efficient weapon.
                    "Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties. Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights."--Oriana Fallaci

Comment

Originally posted by piero1971
                      only a few kilos <( a few hundred in later series. will find exact numbers for the only 100 or so zepps that were built.

It is was a very bad weapon. It was only good for field observations.

Comment

How come they could carry so little? I thought zepplins could carry a ridiculous amount of bombs.
                        PvtJohnson

Hold your ground men, hold your ground!

Don't be a fool, wrap your tool.

If your not mad enough to bare nuckel box, your not mad at all.

Comment

The Germans had one Zeppelin fleet for the navy and one for the army. Using different models.

Certainly didn't help with the cost-effectivity

Comment

payload for ZEppelins was from 2.8 tons for earlier models to 60tons on later models. but that's total payload, not ordnance.

bomb payload was in the 2 ton range for the 1917 raids on paris.
                            "Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties. Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights."--Oriana Fallaci

Comment

payload for ZEppelins was from 2.8 tons for earlier models to 60tons on later models. but that's total payload, not ordnance.

bomb payload was in the 2 ton range for the 1917 raids on paris.
                              That is good to know.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X