The Lost Battalion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lost Battalion

I watched the "Lost Battalion" again when it was on the History Channel the other night. I have to say again that it gave me a very good feel for combat of the WW I era, much the way "Saving Private Ryan" and "Band of Brothers" did for the WW II era.

In particular the weapons of the period seemed to be very accurate. Even a few minor details like having one of the US officers having the M1917 S&W revolver instead of the M1911 Colt automatic. They even had the hated Chauchau LMG.

Anyone else have any feedback on this movie? About the only major error I'm aware of is the ground depicted in the movie was flat, where in reality the battalion was dug in on an incline.
    Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

I liked the movie, I think it's one of the better WW1 movies. Although I didn't get the same feeling that you got about actual combat in WW1. In the beginning of the movie yes, what with the trenches and the Commanding General with his acceptable loses B.S., I also thought the vehicles were pretty good ( at least to me) I guess it was the woods and lack of trenches that threw me off. I'm used to the idea that WW1 was all trenches and mud. And maybe one shell shattered stump of a tree that know one could understand how it could possibly still be there after barrage after barrage. But in the end I still enjoy the movie very much.

Comment

It's a very good movie and there are many stories of heroism displayed by units in WWI but we never hear about them. The movie is bizzare because the actor that played Rick Shroeder's XO is Dye XO in BOB.
      VonMoltke

Comment

I saw it for the first time the other night and really enjoyed it. Someday I'm gonna hone in on ww1.
        "War is the remedy our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want."
        General William "Uncle Billy" Sherman

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger1
          I liked the movie, I think it's one of the better WW1 movies. Although I didn't get the same feeling that you got about actual combat in WW1. In the beginning of the movie yes, what with the trenches and the Commanding General with his acceptable loses B.S., I also thought the vehicles were pretty good ( at least to me) I guess it was the woods and lack of trenches that threw me off. I'm used to the idea that WW1 was all trenches and mud. And maybe one shell shattered stump of a tree that know one could understand how it could possibly still be there after barrage after barrage. But in the end I still enjoy the movie very much.
          That was one of the big points of the Argonne Offensive in that it pushed the Germans out of their primary trench defenses and pushed them back to their final line of defenses, the Hindenberg Line.

The reason you're not used to seeing action depicted in this wooded area is that until General Pershing and the Americans were given their independent command the French had considered this sector too difficult to attack so it had been a relatively quiet front for 4 years.
          Lance W.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Lance. The French thought huh. Why do I feel Dr Sinister coming to this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Williams
              That was one of the big points of the Argonne Offensive in that it pushed the Germans out of their primary trench defenses and pushed them back to their final line of defenses, the Hindenberg Line.

The reason you're not used to seeing action depicted in this wooded area is that until General Pershing and the Americans were given their independent command the French had considered this sector too difficult to attack so it had been a relatively quiet front for 4 years.
              Not to brag but who breached the Hindenberg Line???
              http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Lance. The French thought huh. Why do I feel Dr Sinister coming to this thread.
                I'm he-ere!

Sorry I'm late.

Did I hear my name mentioned? Is there some French-bashing going on?

Dr. S.
                Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Good Movie

Here are my two cents on it. Very good movie. Good acting and weapons were superb. Your right about the French machine gun. i read where the French and everyone else who used it, all though it was crap. The division that was supposed to be on the left of Whittlesey, never even got out of the trenches. (Stupid Frenchies) That left the battalion's flank exposed the whole time. After the war, Rick Shroeder's charecter, Major Whittelsy, committed sucide due to the fact he could not get over the loss of his men. :chair:
                  Govenour Of Texas and all southern provinces. Kepper Of The Holy Woodchipper.

Comment

Re: Good Movie

Originally posted by jdscott7280
                    Here are my two cents on it. Very good movie. Good acting and weapons were superb. Your right about the French machine gun. i read where the French and everyone else who used it, all though it was crap. The division that was supposed to be on the left of Whittlesey, never even got out of the trenches. (Stupid Frenchies) That left the battalion's flank exposed the whole time. After the war, Rick Shroeder's charecter, Major Whittelsy, committed sucide due to the fact he could not get over the loss of his men. :chair:
                    Sad ending.
                    http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Re: Good Movie

Originally posted by jdscott7280
                      He commited suicide in 1921 right?

Comment

Re: Re: Good Movie

He commited suicide in 1921 right?
                        Yes, his character committed suicide after the war in 1921.
                        VonMoltke

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Ritter
                          I saw it for the first time the other night and really enjoyed it. Someday I'm gonna hone in on ww1.

Captain McMurphy to Major Horton (looks like he got promoted)...

Actually according to what I've read Whittlesy was drunk aboard a cruise liner and threw himself overboard... (From eyewitnesses... on purpose.)
                          The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Good Movie

Originally posted by FelixAlicea
                            Yes, his character committed suicide after the war in 1921.
                            Yeah, he jumped overboard from a ship and left a note in his cabin.
                            Lance W.

Comment

The Lost Battalion

i LOGGED ON TODAY TO YOUR WEBISTE AND HOW AWESOME I FOUND IT TO BE. I HAVE RECENTLY FOUND OUT THAT IN OUR FAMILY WE HAVE A GREAT UNCLE THAT WAS PART OF "THE LOST BATTALION" THANKS TO YOU GUYS I NOW SEE THAT THERE WAS A MOVIE ABOUT IT. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANYMORE MOVIES DEALING WITH THIS PART OF THE WORLD WAR 1 ERA? I HAVE A HUGE INTEREST IN THE WARS AND LOVE YOUR WEBSITE..KEEP IT UP !!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X