Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Springfield in WWI

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Springfield in WWI

    The springfield was the main infantry rifle of WWI. Did it live up to it's expectations??

    Thanks
    Peter Williams

    "We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

    Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir

  • #2
    I don't know much about the springfield. But for the first part of the war Canadians were outfitted with the Ross Rifle. This thing was a piece of junk that was responsible for the deaths of many Canadians. It jammed easily and in Ypres many Candian units found that they were unable to fire back at advancing Germans.
    There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full. -Henry Kissinger

    Comment


    • #3
      Great can you find a picture of the Ross Rifle all I have are books on the Second World War!!

      Thanks
      Peter Williams

      "We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

      Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir

      Comment


      • #4
        Sure, here ya go! These things suck! Were never meant for life in the trenches.
        Attached Files
        There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full. -Henry Kissinger

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks

          They look like all you have to do is drop it and it breaks, thanks for sharing!!

          Thanks
          :thumb:
          Peter Williams

          "We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

          Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Napoleon
            Sure, here ya go! These things suck! Were never meant for life in the trenches.
            I think it'd be safe to say that most weapon were not meant for the trenchs. Especially the chauchau or however it is spelled.

            Cheers!


            Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

            "I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

            What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

            Comment


            • #7
              What is the chaucu wasn't that the machine gun used by U.S. troops?

              Thanks
              :thumb:
              Peter Williams

              "We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

              Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir

              Comment


              • #8
                The Chauchat light machine gun was arguably the worst firearm the US ever subjected its men to. It was bad in its original condition, but what the French military pawned off on the US high command were models that had completely worn out barrels. Over 250,000 were made by France, but less than 50,000 survived the war.

                I'm not good at French, but I think Chauchat is French for garbage.
                Lance W.

                Peace through superior firepower.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: The Springfield in WWI

                  Originally posted by panzerboy
                  The springfield was the main infantry rifle of WWI. Did it live up to it's expectations??

                  Thanks
                  I think that most people would say that the '03 Springfield served the US very well in WW I (and WW II for that matter). It was rugged and accurate.
                  Lance W.

                  Peace through superior firepower.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Which model was more accurate the WW1 version or the WWII version?

                    Thanks
                    Peter Williams

                    "We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

                    Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by panzerboy
                      Which model was more accurate the WW1 version or the WWII version?

                      Thanks
                      To my knowledge their are no inherent differences between the WW I and WW II versions of the Springfield other than the addition of telescopic sights on the WW II sniper models.
                      Lance W.

                      Peace through superior firepower.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        No difference????

                        So there was no difference!!

                        Thanks
                        :thumb:
                        Peter Williams

                        "We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

                        Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The more common rifle used by the WWI US infantryman was the M1917 Enfield Rifle, which saw more production than the 1903 Springfield. The '03 Springfield was patterned after the 98 Mauser and was quite similar in design. It was a great target rifle, and some were equipped with a prismatic Model 1908 Warner-Swazey scope. There was also the Air Service model with a short stock and 25 round extension magazine to be carried in observation balloons. One of the interesting secret weapons of WWI was the "Pedersen Device" which allowed the '03 Springfield or the M1917 to be turned into a .30 semi-auto rifle with a 40 round magazine of .30 pistol rounds. Unfortunately it never reached France in time to see combat, and most of them were destroyed in the 1920s.
                          "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by HiredGoon
                            The more common rifle used by the WWI US infantryman was the M1917 Enfield Rifle, which saw more production than the 1903 Springfield. The '03 Springfield was patterned after the 98 Mauser and was quite similar in design. It was a great target rifle, and some were equipped with a prismatic Model 1908 Warner-Swazey scope. There was also the Air Service model with a short stock and 25 round extension magazine to be carried in observation balloons. One of the interesting secret weapons of WWI was the "Pedersen Device" which allowed the '03 Springfield or the M1917 to be turned into a .30 semi-auto rifle with a 40 round magazine of .30 pistol rounds. Unfortunately it never reached France in time to see combat, and most of them were destroyed in the 1920s.
                            The M1917 Enfield was the weapon used by Sgt. York when he won the MOH, not the '03 Springfield depicted in the 1941 movie. In many ways the Enfield was a superior weapon for war than the Springfield. It had twice the magazine capacity and its action was faster for rapid reloads.
                            Lance W.

                            Peace through superior firepower.

                            Comment

                            Latest Topics

                            Collapse

                            Working...
                            X