German Fleet Scuttled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German Fleet Scuttled

As part of the Treaty of Vesailles the German High Seas Fleet was to be surrendered to the Allies. Rather than face such indignation the fleet was scuttled enmass at Scapa Flow. What are your feelings about this?
    Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Re: German Fleet Scuttled

Originally posted by Lance Williams
    As part of the Treaty of Vesailles the German High Seas Fleet was to be surrendered to the Allies. Rather than face such indignation the fleet was scuttled enmass at Scapa Flow. What are your feelings about this?
    *I* probably would have done the same. That being said the Allies should have taken steps to prevent that from happening. But hindsight is 20-20.

Cheers!

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Re: German Fleet Scuttled

Originally posted by Lance Williams
      It was technically a treaty violation but if it were me, I'd have done exactly the same thing.

Dr. S.
      Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

I would have also scuttled the fleet and made sure the crew was away from harm's way.
        http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Why let the British take all your ships? Of course I would have scuttled the fleet!
          There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full. -Henry Kissinger

Comment

I think it was a grand act of defiance.

Comment

What would the British have done if they had been the ones that had to give their fleet to Germany? Scuttling was the only honorable thing that could have been done. It also thumbed their nose at the allies.:P
              Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

I think that it actually did Germany a favor. The ships would be obselete in 7 years.

Comment

And I believe those ships have proven valuable for science..something to do with their metals being uncontaminated by Nuclear materials maybe? Can anyone expand on this?

Comment

Originally posted by Tcanuck
                    And I believe those ships have proven valuable for science..something to do with their metals being uncontaminated by Nuclear materials maybe? Can anyone expand on this?
                    Someone told me the same thing once - if anyone can expand on this, I'd be interested too.

Dr. S.
                    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Scapa Flow and German Steel

We know where the World War I battleships built by the German are located. Unlike most WWI battleships, they were not scraped. They were scuttled in Scapa Flow. The steel used to make these ships was made before open air nuclear testing. All steel made after 1945 contains a trace amount of nuclear fallout from open air testing. The amount is very, very tiny.

For certain precision measuring equipment, you want steel that was not contaminated. Making such steel would be extremely expensive. I wonder where we can get large quanities of steel that was never contaiminated?

Viola! German Battleships scuttled in Scapa Flow become very important to the advancement of science.

That was the story as I heard it.

Comment

Re: Scapa Flow and German Steel

Originally posted by Gepard
                        We know where the World War I battleships built by the German are located. Unlike most WWI battleships, they were not scraped. They were scuttled in Scapa Flow. The steel used to make these ships was made before open air nuclear testing. All steel made after 1945 contains a trace amount of nuclear fallout from open air testing. The amount is very, very tiny.

For certain precision measuring equipment, you want steel that was not contaminated. Making such steel would be extremely expensive. I wonder where we can get large quanities of steel that was never contaiminated?

Viola! German Battleships scuttled in Scapa Flow become very important to the advancement of science.

That was the story as I heard it.
                        Perhaps we ought to lift the Titanic?

Actually, no, the steel on the Titanic was a bit crappy if I recall...

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Shallow Water

I do believe the German battleships scuttled in Scapa Flow are in somewhat more shallow water.

Comment

Re: Shallow Water

Originally posted by Gepard
                            I do believe the German battleships scuttled in Scapa Flow are in somewhat more shallow water.
                            Oh yeah, and that...too. :whistle:

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for all of the feedback. I have to admit the steel uncontaminated by nuclear radiation is a topic I have never heard about before. Quite interesting, I bet that other than Scapa Flow, Truk lagoon would probably be the next best source of this uncontaminated steel.
                              Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X