the flu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the flu

i must admit i am a complete novice compared to the rest of you,but this site has really sparked my interest again.i hope this does'nt sound to stupid but did the outbreak of the influenza epidemic have any effect on the outcome of the war,and what exactly was [i believe the germans called it] black friday?
    i yam what i yam and thats what i yam!

Spanish influenza

In the fall of 1918 the Great War in Europe was winding down and peace was on the horizon. The Americans had joined in the fight, bringing the Allies closer to victory against the Germans. Deep within the trenches these men lived through some of the most brutal conditions of life, which it seemed could not be any worse. Then, in pockets across the globe, something erupted that seemed as benign as the common cold. The influenza of that season, however, was far more than a cold. In the two years that this scourge ravaged the earth, a fifth of the world's population was infected. The flu was most deadly for people ages 20 to 40. This pattern of morbidity was unusual for influenza which is usually a killer of the elderly and young children. It infected 28% of all Americans (Tice). An estimated 675,000 Americans died of influenza during the pandemic, ten times as many as in the world war. Of the U.S. soldiers who died in Europe, half of them fell to the influenza virus and not to the enemy (Deseret News). An estimated 43,000 servicemen mobilized for WWI died of influenza (Crosby). 1918 would go down as unforgettable year of suffering and death and yet of peace.
    http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Re: Spanish influenza

Originally posted by dannybou
      In the fall of 1918 the Great War in Europe was winding down and peace was on the horizon. The Americans had joined in the fight, bringing the Allies closer to victory against the Germans. Deep within the trenches these men lived through some of the most brutal conditions of life, which it seemed could not be any worse. Then, in pockets across the globe, something erupted that seemed as benign as the common cold. The influenza of that season, however, was far more than a cold. In the two years that this scourge ravaged the earth, a fifth of the world's population was infected. The flu was most deadly for people ages 20 to 40. This pattern of morbidity was unusual for influenza which is usually a killer of the elderly and young children. It infected 28% of all Americans (Tice). An estimated 675,000 Americans died of influenza during the pandemic, ten times as many as in the world war. Of the U.S. soldiers who died in Europe, half of them fell to the influenza virus and not to the enemy (Deseret News). An estimated 43,000 servicemen mobilized for WWI died of influenza (Crosby). 1918 would go down as unforgettable year of suffering and death and yet of peace.
      The ironic twist was that after the war was over the influx of returning soldiers and displaced persons only helped spread the flu faster.
      Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Nature's way of getting back to mankind for the horrible carnage it had inflicted on itself through 4 years of war.

Comment

for Dannybou

What is the medal?
          Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
          (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

Re: for Dannybou

Originally posted by hogdriver
            What is the medal?
            Canadian Medal of Bravery

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
              Berlin.1945
              by casanova
              The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
              Yesterday, 23:41
            • casanova
              AW 169M
              by casanova
              The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
              Yesterday, 23:26
            • JBark
              What changed?
              by JBark
              There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
              Yesterday, 18:54
            Working...
            X