America's Role in WW1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• America's Role in WW1

Would the allies have been able to break German resistance if it wern't for the Americans who arrived in 1918? Would the front have gone into a stalemate? Where the Americans really needed?
    They the descive factor that won the war!
    0.00%
    They helped but Britian could have done it anyways.
    0.00%
    They were no help at all Britian did all the work.
    0.00%
    I'm undecied I would like to research it for a while.
    0.00%
    The front would have gone into stalemate without them.
    100.00%
    There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full. -Henry Kissinger

American WW1

The Americans did fight in the First World War, but the British could have done it without them.
    In honour I gained them, and in honour I will die with them.

-Vice-Admiral Horatio Nelson, 1st Viscount Nelson, Duke of Bronte, KB, RN

Comment

Re: America's Role in WW1

YES THEY WOULD HAVE!!!

Originally posted by Napoleon
      Would the allies have been able to break German resistance if it wern't for the Americans who arrived in 1918? Would the front have gone into a stalemate? Where the Americans really needed?

Comment

WOOHOO

WOOHOO!!

THE ALLIES WON THE FIRST WORLD WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        YEEEEAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Re: America's Role in WW1

Originally posted by Napoleon
          Negative they wouldn't have. Britain and France had appaling losses during the war. With the Russian revolution and with Russia leavng the war, Germany had 2 million soldiers to redeploy to the West. No way, without the US entry, would the Allies have halted the War and win.
          http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Re: Re: America's Role in WW1

Originally posted by dannybou
            Negative they wouldn't have. Britain and France had appaling losses during the war. With the Russian revolution and with Russia leavng the war, Germany had 2 million soldiers to redeploy to the West. No way, without the US entry, would the Allies have halted the War and win.
            Are you sure?? Because I read that the Americans were not needed.

Comment

There's no way at all Britian could have won by herself. The only reason Britian was still in it in 1917 when the Americans came in was because of the French. Everyone likes to forget about the French in WWI, but the poilu took the brunt of the German onslaught, and definately deserve recognition. It was the British and the French that held on until the Americans could tip the scales, so that Germany no longer had any hope of breaking the stalemate that had existed since 1914.
              "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."

Comment

By the time the Americans entered WW I in 1917(1918 before any significant ground forces arrived) the French and British were on their last legs. Casualties had been appauling and both countries economies were staggering.

Germany was not much better off, but they were able to muster a spring 1918 offensive that with out the influx of American reinforcements they very well may have won the war.

Without the US a stalemate was likely.
                Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

The Americans placed the upper advantage in the allies strength during the war. They also displayed bulldog attitudes towards their opponents. Check out the movie, The Lost Battalion, with Ricky Schroeder, (silver spoons).
                  VonMoltke

Comment

The main reason that American casualties were so high compared to the amount of time they were on the the western fron was because the AEF was extremely green. Essentially they entered WWI with a pre -1914 attitude about war when every other army in Europe was fighting in 1918 fashion. For Crissake the dilapidated Canadian Corps took more ground in the last 100 days than the AEF did.

Oh but I must concede Rick Shroeder did win WWI singlehandedly.
                    "War is the extension of politics by other means." - "On War" Carl Von Clauswitz

Comment

And to add further to this, when Russia stepped out of the war, about 2 million German soldiers were redirected to the West. After the Spring 1918 offensive, since the US had entered the war, the German High COmmand decided they couldn't win the war and went for the armistice. They didn't decide they lost the war, but couldn't win it.
                      http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

I believe that the Americans certainly helped win the final victory but the British would have been able to do it without their help. One must remember that all of Germany's allies were collapsing by the time the first Americans arrived on the front. The Ottaman Empire and Austria-Hungary were going down. Then Germany would have been fighting a three front war. South, West, East/South East( Britrish come up through Turkey.) The Western Front may have gone into stalemate but Germany would have had to redeploy many troops from Russia to South and South East and eventually they would have collapsed. Perhaps in 1919..................
                        There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full. -Henry Kissinger

Comment

Re: Re: America's Role in WW1

Originally posted by dannybou
                          Britain and France had appaling losses during the war. With the Russian revolution and with Russia leavng the war, Germany had 2 million soldiers to redeploy to the West. No way, without the US entry, would the Allies have halted the War and win.
                          My thoughts exactly, and that's how I voted. The German storm troop tactics were ending trench warfare. The Germans were advancing on Paris and the Americans barely got there in time to save it ....

(I'm sorry for the pause, I thought I heard the French saying "thank you". Must have been my imagination.)

Without US involvement, the Germans would have taken Paris, perhaps forcing France out of the War. Germany would not have been able to take the UK, but the UK would have had to sue for peace in order to start eating again, since without US support the U-boats would be strangling them.

UK, alone, cut off from most of the empire by the U boats, would have had to sue for peace.
                          Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                          Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                          http://www.mormon.org
                          http://www.sca.org
                          http://www.scv.org/
                          http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

Originally posted by FelixAlicea
                            The Americans placed the upper advantage in the allies strength during the war. They also displayed bulldog attitudes towards their opponents. Check out the movie, The Lost Battalion, with Ricky Schroeder, (silver spoons).
                            "The Lost Battalion" is a very good movie. One of the best about WW I. It has much of the feel and is filmed in a simular manner to "Band of Brothers" or "Saving Private Ryan". Surprisingly, Schroeder is not too bad as the ex-lawyer CO.
                            Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

I have to submit that the Americans fought a much mole fluid style of battle, having no desire to get mired in trench warfare. It wasn't that our troops, or weaponry were superior, only that they looked at the trench warfare that had bled Europe white and resolved that they would not put their soldiers and themselves through such a hell.
                              Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
                              (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X