Most Important Battle of WW1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Important Battle of WW1

What do you beleive is the most important/significant battle of WW1? For me it would either have to be the Lunderdoff Offensive of 1918 or Vimy Ridge. Please respond to this poll and state why you beleive this battle is important.

-If you don't know a lot about WW1 you may want to visit these sites to get you started:

http://www.worldwar1.com/
    http://www.firstworldwar.com/
    Jutland
    3.51%
    The Somme
    10.53%
    Verdun
    7.02%
    Gallipoli
    0.00%
    The Lundendorff Offensive
    3.51%
    Cambrai
    0.00%
    Ypres (All Versions of It)
    1.75%
    Vittorio Vennito
    0.00%
    Tannenberg
    3.51%
    Passchendaele
    0.00%
    The Nivelle Offensive
    0.00%
    Arras/Vimy Ridge
    8.77%
    The Brusilov Offensive
    3.51%
    The First Battle of The Marne
    36.84%
    Battles in the Middle East
    0.00%
    Battles in Africa
    0.00%
    The Allied Counter-Offensive in 1918
    12.28%
    Caporetto
    1.75%
    Campaigns in the Balkans
    0.00%
    Other
    7.02%
    There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full. -Henry Kissinger

The Marne September 1914

The First Battle of the Marne in Sept. 1914 was the most significant because it ended virtually all significant movement on the Western Front, and established the stalemate of the next 4 years.
    "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."

Comment

I'll give this one some thought before voting. Am leaning towards Tannenberg but I'll see.
      http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Re: Most Important Battle of WW1

Originally posted by Napoleon
        What do you beleive is the most important/significant battle of WW1? For me it would either have to be the Lunderdoff Offensive of 1918 or Vimy Ridge. Please respond to this poll and state why you beleive this battle is important.

-If you don't know a lot about WW1 you may want to visit these sites to get you started:

http://www.worldwar1.com/
        Jutland. It bottled the German Navy up for the rest of the War. This caused Germany to be starved out of the war.

Cheers!

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

I voted for the Lundendorff Offensive of 1918. Although the First Battle of the Marne did force the troops into the trenches it was the German offfensive of 1918 that got them out of them. It was also the first time that 'blitzkrieg' tactics of some sort were used. The Germans were able to ue their stormtrooper tactics to their advantage and very nearly overwhelmed the Allied soldiers. They penetarted farther into France than they had ever done before. The only thing that stopped them was that they were over extended when a massive allied counter-attack came that shattered their morale and forced them back. Without this offensive the war on the Western Front could have disentegrated into a stalemate . Although, the war itself still would have ended quickly as Germany's allies were on the verge of collapse.
          There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full. -Henry Kissinger

Comment

Most improtant battle in world war one

I think that the battle of Vimy Ridge is the most significant battle becasue it showed a great strategy that was well planned. We must remember the Canadians who helped take Vimy and the lives that were lost. Amen.
            In honour I gained them, and in honour I will die with them.

-Vice-Admiral Horatio Nelson, 1st Viscount Nelson, Duke of Bronte, KB, RN

Comment

Re: Most improtant battle in world war one

Originally posted by horatio_nelson
              I think that the battle of Vimy Ridge is the most significant battle becasue it showed a great strategy that was well planned. We must remember the Canadians who helped take Vimy and the lives that were lost. Amen.
              Here! Here!

Comment

Re: Re: Most improtant battle in world war one

Originally posted by dannybou
                Here! Here!

I dont, in any way, mean to minimize the heroism and sacrifice made by the canadian corp at vimy. The occupation of such strategic ground had been a goal of both the BEF and the French for nearly 3 years by that time, but I don't think it sent shockwaves trough both armies and all of Europe in the same way that the first battle of the Marne did. The Shleiffen plan collapsed, the german line was fragmenting before the gates of paris and amazingly the french rallied. this put an end to the quick victory plannned by the german and they were forced to retreat in the face of thier enemy. the following battles of maneuver to find the open flank led to the stalemate in the trenches for the next 3 1/2 years. The significance of this battle cannot be understated.

A battle that showed a war winning tactical advantage that was mistaken for operational strategy would be the "Gericht" offensive in spring 1918. The german, like the canadians had found the tactical solution to the trenches-fire and movement linked to combined arms tactics. the german, because of the grand scale of the offensive, found out that this new tactic actually strangled itself when the troops were out of friendly artillery range, out of supply, and out of communication. Thus the ultimate failure of the offensive (that, and the offensive had no real objective beyond breaking the allied line...which it did magnificently)
                Givin' you the scoop, the poop, the skinny and the scuttlebutt since 1969!

Comment

Canadians

The Canadians proved that they were their own independent country and army, so don't hate us Canadians.

Comment

Re: Canadians

Originally posted by horatio_nelson
                    The Canadians proved that they were their own independent country and army, so don't hate us Canadians.
                    once again, I'm not trying to minimize the contributions made by Canadians, but the successful assault on Vimy ridge was hardly an assertion of canadian national destiny. Much like the other Commonwealth troops on the western front, they were present because of thier obligations to the British Empire. I'm sure few if any Canadians were fighting in order to bring about the creation of an Independant Canadian state, so much as they were answering the call of King and Empire.

Let me restate this clearly: My intention is not to denigrate Canada, Canadians, nor thier contributions and sacrifices in WW1. I just wanted to point out that thier assault on Vimy Ridge, although wildly succesful and of extreme importance to that part of the front, did not bring about massive paradigm shifts as other battles such as 1st Marne, Verdun, Germany's Spring 1918 Offensive, or 2nd Marne or even Jutland.

O Canada!
                    Our home and native land!
                    True patriot love in all thy sons command.
                    With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
                    The True North strong and free!
                    From far and wide, O Canada,
                    We stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free!
                    O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

O Canada!
                    Where pines and maples grow,
                    Great prairies spread, and lordly rivers flow.
                    How dear to us thy broad domain,
                    From east to western sea.
                    The land of hope for all who toil,
                    The true north strong and free!

O Canada!
                    Beneath our shining skies,
                    May stalwart sons, and gentle maidens rise.
                    To keep thee steadfast through the years,
                    From east to western sea,
                    Our own beloved native land,
                    Our true north strong and free!

Ruler Supreme!
                    Who hearest humble prayer,
                    Hold thy dominion in thy loving care.
                    Help us to find, Oh God, in thee,
                    A lasting rich reward.
                    As waiting for the better day,
                    We ever stand on guard!

:thumb:
                    Givin' you the scoop, the poop, the skinny and the scuttlebutt since 1969!

Comment

Re: Re: Canadians

Originally posted by Fenrir
                      once again, I'm not trying to minimize the contributions made by Canadians, but the successful assault on Vimy ridge was hardly an assertion of canadian national destiny. Much like the other Commonwealth troops on the western front, they were present because of thier obligations to the British Empire. I'm sure few if any Canadians were fighting in order to bring about the creation of an Independant Canadian state, so much as they were answering the call of King and Empire.

Let me restate this clearly: My intention is not to denigrate Canada, Canadians, nor thier contributions and sacrifices in WW1. I just wanted to point out that thier assault on Vimy Ridge, although wildly succesful and of extreme importance to that part of the front, did not bring about massive paradigm shifts as other battles such as 1st Marne, Verdun, Germany's Spring 1918 Offensive, or 2nd Marne or even Jutland.

O Canada!
                      Our home and native land!
                      True patriot love in all thy sons command.
                      With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
                      The True North strong and free!
                      From far and wide, O Canada,
                      We stand on guard for thee.

O Canada!
                      Where pines and maples grow,
                      Great prairies spread, and lordly rivers flow.
                      How dear to us thy broad domain,
                      From east to western sea.
                      The land of hope for all who toil,
                      The true north strong and free!

O Canada!
                      Beneath our shining skies,
                      May stalwart sons, and gentle maidens rise.
                      To keep thee steadfast through the years,
                      From east to western sea,
                      Our own beloved native land,
                      Our true north strong and free!

Ruler Supreme!
                      Who hearest humble prayer,
                      Hold thy dominion in thy loving care.
                      Help us to find, Oh God, in thee,
                      A lasting rich reward.
                      As waiting for the better day,
                      We ever stand on guard!

:thumb:

HEY NICE CANADIAN ANTHEM!!

IT'S LIKE THE FIRST ONE.

Comment

As of late it has become quite fashionable for Canadian "nationalists" to bash Americans. I just want to thank Fenrir for showing us Canadians on the board that not only are there American's knowledgeable about their norther cousins but also quite sensitive to a defining moment in Canadian history.

Thanks Fenrir, people like you justify all of the flack I take for defending American actions on a Canadian university campus. The departed Prime Minister Cretien aside, there are many Canadians that support America today, I am proud to be one of them.
                        "War is the extension of politics by other means." - "On War" Carl Von Clauswitz

Comment

Simply for the fact that Passchedaele was supposed to be "the battle" (again!) and because the losses were horrendous all round, Passchendaele could well have broken the army, leading to mutiny or simply an inability of the troops to function effectively. I read (in Keegan's book) that British field grade officers feared that heavy losses may break their soldiers, and they worried what the result may be.
                          Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
                          (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

Keep Voting!

Comment

Originally posted by hogdriver
                              Simply for the fact that Passchedaele was supposed to be "the battle" (again!) and because the losses were horrendous all round, Passchendaele could well have broken the army, leading to mutiny or simply an inability of the troops to function effectively. I read (in Keegan's book) that British field grade officers feared that heavy losses may break their soldiers, and they worried what the result may be.
                              Yes and he further states in his book the Currie protested against sending in his troops on what he knew would be horrific losses on the Canadian Corps. He had guessed at 16,000 prior to the offensive. After agreeing to Haig's orders, the attack was launched and the Corps was a few hundred casualties short of what Sir Currie has estimated.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X