Most 'Significant' Weapon of WW1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most 'Significant' Weapon of WW1

YES! Once again it is another significant poll! But never mind that what I am asking is which weapon was the most effective, efficient, killing machine of WW1. Basically, which one is the best.
    Machine Gun
    0.00%
    Airplane
    0.00%
    Tank
    0.00%
    Artillery (Accounted for more casulties than anything else.)
    25.00%
    Normal Rifle
    0.00%
    Grenade
    0.00%
    Dreadnought
    0.00%
    Primitive U-Boat
    0.00%
    Bayonet
    0.00%
    Cavalry (Last war in which it was used in large numbers.)
    0.00%
    Poison Gas (Canadians got a lot of this at Ypres)
    25.00%
    Improvised Trench Weapons
    0.00%
    Canadians! (No offense to other allied soldiers.)
    0.00%
    Mines
    0.00%
    Mass Production Industry
    50.00%
    Other
    0.00%
    There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full. -Henry Kissinger

I had to vote for the Canadian soldiers. Tough, tough and tough. The Germans would track the displacement of Canadian troops to find out where the next move would be as our soldiers would be at the forefront.
    http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

I voted for one that is still with us today; the aircraft carrier. British aircraft carrier based seaplanes bombed the Zeppelin Works in the first carrier borne airraid. :thumb:

Cheers!

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Not predominant, but significant. It did not take long at all for either side to begin discovering the many uses of the aircraft, even before it was armed. Visionary thinkers were easily able to conceive that the airplane was truly a weapon of the future, especially in the early-mid 1920s when the first carrier was launched (in fact, converted).
        Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
        (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

The machinegun, by driving the soldiers underground (before the artillery made them stay there) it ensured that it would be a long and bloody war.
          Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

I had to go with assembly mass production, just think where we would be without it.:quest:
            "If my theory of realitivity is proved true, then France will declare me a citizen of the world and Germany will call me a German. However, if it is proved untrue, then France will call me a German, and Germany a jew."

-Albert Einstein

Comment

I voted industry. the war was industrialized on nearly every level....in the west at least....i guess that wouldn't be the case in german east africa....
              Givin' you the scoop, the poop, the skinny and the scuttlebutt since 1969!

Comment

I would have to say the American soldiers.

The U.S. Marines at Belleau Wood.
                African American soldiers called "harlem hellfighters.
                82nd Inf Division and Sgt York.

Cpt Eddie Rickenbacker

Germans feared the yanks because Americans will do anything to win. THE YANKS ARE COMING, THE YANKS ARE COMING!

:bowdown: :thumb:
                VonMoltke

Comment

Originally posted by FelixAlicea
                  I would have to say the American soldiers.

The U.S. Marines at Belleau Wood.
                  African American soldiers called "harlem hellfighters.
                  82nd Inf Division and Sgt York.

Cpt Eddie Rickenbacker

Germans feared the yanks because Americans will do anything to win. THE YANKS ARE COMING, THE YANKS ARE COMING!

:bowdown: :thumb:
                  True, however most Americans didn't get over there until 1918, and while they certainly were a decisive factor in the final offensive, their overall impact on the war was not as much as other weapons.
                  There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full. -Henry Kissinger

Comment

I voted for the tank. Sure it was slow, loud, and always in need of repair. But in the end, it got the job done by putting those trenches to shame.
                    "The U.S. has broken the second rule of war. That is don't go fighting with your land army on the mainland of Asia. Rule One is don't march on Moscow. I developed these two rules myself." - Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery referring to the Vietnam War

Comment

My initial tendency was to go for the machinegun as the weapon - but then I saw the industry option. Have to go for industry. It makes or breaks a country. Where would the AEF have been in WWI without French/British industry?
                      "Give a soldier an anvil, just a hunk of metal, and drive him out into the desert and leave him. In two weeks - when you go to get him, the anvil will be broken."
                      General Creighton Abrams on the need for a soldier proof tank.

Comment

The most significant weapon in WW1(my first post)

The most significant weapon in WW1 was the poison gases that both sides used. These gases were very effective throughout the war. But, we must remember the valour of the Canadians at Ypres. They held their position, despite the chlorine gas used by the Germans. It was their ingenuity of the Canadians that won the war for the Allies. Canadians thought of gas mask that were primitive at Ypres, but developed them into a technology that was greatly awarded (so to speak). The first Canadian gas mask: a urine soaked handkerchief. Don't laugh because that "device" let us hold our position. HA HA Germans!!
                        In honour I gained them, and in honour I will die with them.

-Vice-Admiral Horatio Nelson, 1st Viscount Nelson, Duke of Bronte, KB, RN

Comment

HAIL NELSON! On behalf of myself let me officialy welcome you to Armchair General. Nelson is a fellow Canadian so say hi to him everybody! :thumb::thumb:

Comment

Hi Nelson. I detected the not so subtle pro Canada tone...

It is always good to have a fresh voice involved.
                            "Give a soldier an anvil, just a hunk of metal, and drive him out into the desert and leave him. In two weeks - when you go to get him, the anvil will be broken."
                            General Creighton Abrams on the need for a soldier proof tank.

Comment

Yes, Nelson is very patriotic. Maybe too much.........:thumb:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X