Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Sgt. Alvin York

What are some thoughts on York?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you want peace, prepare for war.)

Crack shot with a rifle. Said it was just like shootin' turkeys back home.
    "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."

Comment

Re: Thoughts on Sgt. Alvin York

Originally posted by last_cav1971
      Good man. Pacifist for the most part. Humble. A real American hero.
      Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

A great soldier and the "only leg" that is honored in the 82nd Abn Div. AIRBORNE, ALL THE WAY!!1:thumb:
        VonMoltke

Comment

Re: Re: Thoughts on Sgt. Alvin York

Originally posted by RStory
          Good man. Pacifist for the most part. Humble. A real American hero.
          Regretted the lives he'd had to take, but knew he had saved his friends lives by doing so.

Could have made a fortune if he had capitalized on his fame, but refused to do so. The true Anti-Hero.
          Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Re: Thoughts on Sgt. Alvin York

Originally posted by last_cav1971
            As already noted, he was quite a shot. If one is to believe the film of his experiences, he was what would be today called a Conscientious Objector. He believed that the Bible transcended any of man's law, therefore that any killing was wrong. Initially refusing even to report for the draft, after being told he would be arrested, he agreed to report, but told his commander during trainingthat he would not kill. Again, according to the movie, his commanding officer gave him a book of American history and sent him home to think about his convictions. York read the book, then announced to his family that it was acceptable to fight for his country.

Without taking away from his accomplishments, I believe that he came into the right situation at the right time, thus gaining eternal fame. At another situation, he may have a) been killed; b) hesitated or thought against action; or c) followed another troop who acted before him, receiving less or no recognition.
            Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
            (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

Re: Re: Thoughts on Sgt. Alvin York

Originally posted by hogdriver

Without taking away from his accomplishments, I believe that he came into the right situation at the right time, thus gaining eternal fame. At another situation, he may have a) been killed; b) hesitated or thought against action; or c) followed another troop who acted before him, receiving less or no recognition. [/B]
              You could probably say that about most Medal Of Honor recipients.
              Lance W.

Comment

It seems most of us are taking our thoughts from the 1941 film. Just a few mentions of History Vs. Hollywood. In the movie he is armed with a M1903 Springfield and a captured P-08 Luger. In reality he was armed with a 1917 Enfield (the US version in .30 cal not .303 cal.) and a M1911 Colt.
                Lance W.

Comment

A quiet man who loved God, and a crack shot with a rifle.

Comment

Errr, for the rest of us, could someone please explain who he is? I am afraid I have only heard of him and have extremely little knowledge of who he is. Is he some sort of an American hero?
                    There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full. -Henry Kissinger

Comment

Alvin C York was born in Tennesee. A real hell-raiser in his younger days who became a christian. He was called up to the Army where he served in the 82 inf. div. At first he had a real crisis of consceince over killing his fellow man. Well he got over that. What won him the Congressional Medal of Honor was capturing around 130 german soldiers. I don't know how much truth there is to it but it's said he would gobble like a turkey, and when a german would raise his head to see what the noise was he would shoot them. And yes Napolean he is an American hero. There is a movie, It stars Gary Cooper. The movie is titled Sgt York. No surprise there,is there.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger1
                        Alvin C York was born in Tennesee. A real hell-raiser in his younger days who became a christian. He was called up to the Army where he served in the 82 inf. div. At first he had a real crisis of consceince over killing his fellow man. Well he got over that. What won him the Congressional Medal of Honor was capturing around 130 german soldiers. I don't know how much truth there is to it but it's said he would gobble like a turkey, and when a german would raise his head to see what the noise was he would shoot them. And yes Napolean he is an American hero. There is a movie, It stars Gary Cooper. The movie is titled Sgt York. No surprise there,is there.
                        Cooper won the 1941 Academy Award for his performance.
                        Lance W.

Comment

York is a real hero.

Too bad the word hero is mis-used to describe other individuals such as sports stars or racing car drivers, or big spenders on charity, or ppl in entertainment. These ppl are not heroes.
                          "To know the weapons the enemy has is already to beat them!"

http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-photo-vf213-01l.jpg

Comment

Sgt York

He was a true hero back in the day. He was a beer drinkin gun toater in his early years until he met his wife Gracie. She was one of the main reasons he converted and became a strong christian. Which I admire. He became so devoted that he believed the 10 commandments over any of the law's that were set in place. He initially refused to go into the Army but later went at the urging of his pastor. He then gained fame in WW1 for saving his unit from destruction of a ridge of machine guns and thus winning the MOH. When he came back home, he refused any fame and reconition for what he did in France. But eventually in 1941 he consented to the making of his story. He said he wanted the majority of the profits to go to help his funding for school for the poor in the county in which he lived. He worked on that project for the latter part of his life. He died in 1955 I believe of heart problems. He should be a true inspiration to us all of self sacrifice and good towards others.
                            Govenour Of Texas and all southern provinces. Kepper Of The Holy Woodchipper.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X