Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What could have averted WW1?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What could have averted WW1?

    Would the declaration of war and invasion on Serbia by the Austro-Hungarian empire as soon as their investigation into the assassination pointed to the Serbian state have averted the war?
    http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

    Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

  • #2
    Re: What could have averted WW1?

    Originally posted by dannybou
    Would the declaration of war and invasion on Serbia by the Austro-Hungarian empire as soon as their investigation into the assassination pointed to the Serbian state have averted the war?
    Nope. Technically that was what started the war. Russia had a treaty to defend Serbia from Aggression. Germany had a treaty with Austria-Hungary to fight with her in case she goes to war with Russia or France. France had a treaty witn Russia to declare war on Germany if she is attacked.

    The only way war could be averted if there wasn't all these treaties floating around forcing countries to enter into a war that was based on "if X happened than Y occurs".

    England came in cause Germany invaded Belgium. Which could have been completely avoided in my not so humble opinion.

    Cheers!



    Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

    "I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

    What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

    Comment


    • #3
      Yes but the Shlieffen (excuse the spelling) plan was exactly that: attack Belgium to get at France. But if Austro-Hungary would have DoW on Serbia without giving time for Russia to mobilize, and to invade with a knock out blow.... after all Serbia could muster only about 10 divisions while Austria could muster much more than that. If Austria could have knocked out Serbia, would have there been a reason for Russia to intervene if the war would have been almost over? Let's not forget that Serbia was on the verge of accepting the Austro-Hungarian ultimatum until they found out that Russia would support them if attacked. But this came some 30-35 days after the assassination.
      http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

      Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

      Comment


      • #4
        Nothing.
        There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full. -Henry Kissinger

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Napoleon
          Nothing.
          Agreed.

          By every account I've come across, there was a general feeling throughout Europe that a "showdown" was in the offing. Whether it was WW I as we now know it or some other major European conflict.
          Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

          Comment


          • #6
            I'll have to agree, also.

            The assassination started the war, but they were not what caused the war. If the assassination had not happened, then something else would have sparked it.
            Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

            Comment


            • #7
              The pre war system of alliances make a war inevitable. The event that would start it was the only question.
              Lance W.

              Peace through superior firepower.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: What could have averted WW1?

                Originally posted by dannybou
                Would the declaration of war and invasion on Serbia by the Austro-Hungarian empire as soon as their investigation into the assassination pointed to the Serbian state have averted the war?
                No, the war would have been prevented only by clear thinking immediately after the assassination. Austria-Hungary made allusions to war, but refrained from action until they were assured of German assistance. Once Germany came on board, it assured a continent-wide conflagration, because it was known that Russia would aid their fellow Slavs in Serbia, and that France, bound by treaty commitments, would support Russia. The only power not bound by voluntary or treaty commitments was England. Much debate on both sides of the issue occurred in the Commons, with the final vote opting for war. Thus did England consign millions of its young men to death in a conflict it had no compelling interest in.
                Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
                (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

                Comment


                • #9
                  In reading Keegan's work on the First World War, I read that the Austro Hungarian Empire issued an ultimatum to Serbia giving them 48 hours to comply with a list of demands. Of what I read, the Serbs were about to concede to the ultimatum until Russia positioned itself to support Serbia and began a partial mobilisation. Now, if Russia wouldn't have reacted the way it did, Serbia would have given in to the ultimatum and therefore WW1 would have been averted?? Comments?
                  http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

                  Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by dannybou
                    In reading Keegan's work on the First World War, I read that the Austro Hungarian Empire issued an ultimatum to Serbia giving them 48 hours to comply with a list of demands. Of what I read, the Serbs were about to concede to the ultimatum until Russia positioned itself to support Serbia and began a partial mobilisation. Now, if Russia wouldn't have reacted the way it did, Serbia would have given in to the ultimatum and therefore WW1 would have been averted?? Comments?
                    but if it wasn't that, it would have been something else. In fact, the Balkans wars of 1912 and 1913 almost sparked the general European war... if Austria had intervened on one side, or Russia on the other, it would have started the dominoes falling then. Europe had been on war alert since before the turn of the century, and maintaining an armed peace like that was just too expensive to keep up. Probably the one thing that could have prevented WWI would have been if the Kaiser had returned Alsace to France in 1871. Germany and France lived in mortal fear and hate of each other over that issue, and removing that would have taken France, Belgium and England out of the equation, leaving the conflict, at the most, as an "Eastern" one.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Sean
                      but if it wasn't that, it would have been something else. In fact, the Balkans wars of 1912 and 1913 almost sparked the general European war... if Austria had intervened on one side, or Russia on the other, it would have started the dominoes falling then. Europe had been on war alert since before the turn of the century, and maintaining an armed peace like that was just too expensive to keep up. Probably the one thing that could have prevented WWI would have been if the Kaiser had returned Alsace to France in 1871. Germany and France lived in mortal fear and hate of each other over that issue, and removing that would have taken France, Belgium and England out of the equation, leaving the conflict, at the most, as an "Eastern" one.
                      And no treaty between France and Russia
                      http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

                      Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Nothing, In the truth, the whole point behind ww1 was land grabs between distant reletives, it would have happened anyways.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I think an alien invasion might have stopped what we knew as WW1.
                          "If my theory of realitivity is proved true, then France will declare me a citizen of the world and Germany will call me a German. However, if it is proved untrue, then France will call me a German, and Germany a jew."

                          -Albert Einstein

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I think an alien invasion might have stopped what we knew as WW1.
                            Or maybe Janet Jackson's nipple.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Well, that could have started WW1 also...
                              "If my theory of realitivity is proved true, then France will declare me a citizen of the world and Germany will call me a German. However, if it is proved untrue, then France will call me a German, and Germany a jew."

                              -Albert Einstein

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X