Thoughts on Woodrow Wilson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    In my mind, Wilson is forever linked to his massive betrayal of the will of the American people, and his own campaign promise to keep America out of foreign wars. We elect presidents to carry out the will of the people, not to decide that what will is to be at the cost of American lives.

I often wonder what history wood be like if America had allowed Europe to fight its own wars without our intervention. We would possibly have far more natural resources remaining than we have now, having used up enormous resources in two world wars, and had we merely supplied the European Allies, we might be infinitely richer.

As it is, the world wars changed things politically and geographically, but solved nothing in the end, as the continuous warfare since the end of WWII clearly has sown us.
    Are you really saying that the USA did not profit materially from being involved in both World Wars ?
    "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
    Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post

Are you really saying that the USA did not profit materially from being involved in both World Wars ?
      Obviously from the Second, but not much from the First. In fact, overall, I'd say that the US' involvement in WW1 was a net loss. Of course, a lot of that was due to domestic political silliness, but overall, it was a net loss.
      I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Suppose Wilson had deferred the matter of establishing a League of Nations to a later International conference then would the outcome have been more successful? Was Wilson too fixated on the prize of establishing the league that he had to compromise too much on his 14 points? Were the 14 points too idealistic for the times that the approach was doomed to failure? Was there just too much hate in the air everywhere for making a sensible peace settlement?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X