Thoughts on Woodrow Wilson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
    Domestically Wilson was an enthusiastic supporter of Jim Crow and segregation and expanded segregation into the Federal establishment. He admired the KKK.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...racism/417549/

Agree, that was his downside

Comment

Wilson did screen birth of the nation at the White House. A film which glorified The KKK. Of course the film birth of a nation Was greatly respected for its time.... For its innovative film techniques. Beyond that of course a number of US presidents owned slaves such as George Washington but Washington is held as one of the greatest American leaders of all time. Wilson also denounced lynching and the klan itself as being anti-American.

The end of this post is from a review of Scott Bergs Wilson. It describes the part of the book which goes over the end of Wilson’s wife and the trouble he faced wrt his paralysis. Berg was also interviewed on the Henry Ford Museum show...He talked about how Wilson inherited segregation policies from before his time. So there is much more to the picture then Woodrow Wilson being some sort of an overt racist . In fact under Wilson hundreds of thousands of African-Americans joined the US military and some did See combat in WW1

To reiterate It’s an unfair point of criticism to bring up Wilson and segregation because Wilson had inherited segregation.. but he did do some things to combat racism in the USA. One must also compare Wilson to other world leaders in fact Ethiopia had legal slavery well into the 1930s. The British Empire was heavily criticized for its actions in India. It was Woodrow Wilson who argued for equal treatment of original inhabitants of European possessions overseas. And the fact that previous US presidents owned slaves but continue to have institutions named after them. We have to remember the times of the past were different....slavery was well accepted in Africa and the Middle East well into the 20th century.

One thing to greatly admire about Wilson was his courage and faith in Christianity. His faith kept him going when he was paralyzed brutally....something to admire to this day. Some folks when faced with a handicap would have thrown in the towel and givin up on life but not Woodrow Wilson.

———By early 1920, with Wilson still bedridden and inarticulate, the treaty was defunct, and the inter-war tragedy had begun. Wilson reportedly whispered: "If I were not a Christian, I should go mad." In the fall of 1920, still barely able to function, he watched his Democratic party trounced by the Republican forces of Warren Harding. Three years later, Wilson was dead, having uttered his farewell to history: "I am a broken piece of machinery." Rarely did politics mete out a crueller fate.——-

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...erg-conspiracy
      Last edited by Stonewall_Jack; 09 Jun 20, 15:01.
      Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
      Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

I’m going to repost this article which is entitled
        Woodrow Wilson was extremely racist-even by the standards of his time.

It should be noted that under Wilson , part of the US government were resegregated.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...-wilson-racist

Ignoring this to engage in hero worship, misleading rabbit trails and whataboutism is historical revisionism in its most unpleasant form.

This thread is not history but propaganda on par with other threads downplaying Italian fascist atrocities and Henry Ford’s anti-semitism from the same source.

Not a good pattern to establish.

Comment

Originally posted by CarpeDiem View Post
          I’m going to repost this article which is entitled

This thread is not history but propaganda on par with other threads downplaying Italian fascist atrocities and Henry Ford’s anti-semitism from the same source.

Not a good pattern to establish.
          Or the above have been overplayed. It works both ways. Judging historical figures on morals of a later time is a fool's errand. Especially as morals (or "political correctness") is an ever shifting goal post.

In the current era of #MeToo would MLK have survived?

Was Henry Ford's anti-semitism so bad that it should over-shadow all his other achievements? If so who gets to choose what is morally acceptable, and what is not?

Look at Custer. To some he was an Indian killer. To others (and that would likely include himself) he sympathized with the Indians plight, and fought for their better treatment.

As for Wilson, he was a flawed man who tried to right by his light. The fact that that right may conflict with other views. As for my own judgement of the man as President I have not really made up my mind. He did turn out to be a decent war time president. Better, in some ways, than Roosevelt (who compromised too much IMHO). But it is all in what we prioritize, when we look at historical (or even contemporary) figures.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Have to disagree, SJ. Wilson betrayed the national will of the people by involving us in a foreign war in direct contradiction to his sworn promise not to.
            "National Will" is a fickle lady. Once Germany reinitiated unrestricted submarine warfare (and the publication of the Zimmerman Telegram) "National Will" flipped dramatically in the short time since the 1916 election. Politically there was little other option for Wilson.

Comment

I think it was Clemenceau who commented on Wilson’s 14 points by dryly noting that the lord God contented himself with only 10
              Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Not only was Wilson a racist, statist, control freak a$$hole who was convinced he should tell people what choices to make because he was better than them, but he was also an incompetent, globalist blinded by his own idealism, who goobered an opportunity at the end of WWI by blindly pushing for his impossible, unConstitutional, internationalist agenda in contravention to reality. He should have stuck with poisoning a few young minds at Princeton.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuebor View Post
                  Or the above have been overplayed. It works both ways. Judging historical figures on morals of a later time is a fool's errand. Especially as morals (or "political correctness") is an ever shifting goal post.
                  Which is why the last part of the title of the article is relevant...." even by the standards of his time".

So not the "morals of a later time".

Exalting a historical figure in the present and excusing their reprehensible behaviour because "that's just how it was back then" doesn't fly either.

For what I hope are obvious reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by 82redleg View Post
                    Not only was Wilson a racist, statist, control freak a$$hole who was convinced he should tell people what choices to make because he was better than them, but he was also an incompetent, globalist blinded by his own idealism, who goobered an opportunity at the end of WWI by blindly pushing for his impossible, unConstitutional, internationalist agenda in contravention to reality. He should have stuck with poisoning a few young minds at Princeton.
                    Wilson won the confidence of Americans not once but twice in a democratic election.

Washington owned slaves, Lincoln did not do enough wrt segregation....according to critics but the past saw a different time as others have pointed out itt.

Think of other leaders of Wilson’s time...the Kaiser of Germany , Tsar Nicholas II, Lenin ....I think Wilson rates ahead of them.

Throughout acg Washington and Lincoln are held up as pillars. It’s ok to praise or criticize figures of history as you and I do. Wilson deserves it for giving women the right to vote, speaking against lynching, enhances the size of the US military by 20x..standing by the working man among many accomplishments.

George S Patton

Comment

Does anyone here have any information on how Wilson reacted to the uprising of the communist revolution in Russia?

As well as how Wilson dealt with any of the Japanese officials during World War I? And how Wilson felt in general about how the Empire of Japan were part of the allies of World War I?

What do folks here think about Wilson’s social achievements such as working to end child labor and giving women the right to vote? Certainly at the time not everyone would agree with those issues and even today not everyone agrees with letting women vote or ending child labor which continues unabated in countries such as India. Not to mention women have to by law cover their hair in Saudi Arabia.... women could not really do much of anything when Isil was around as a country.

To this day there are limitations on freedom of speech in China. Wilson’s USA was quite more liberal than a number of powerful modern day countries.

George S Patton

Comment

After his stroke, he should have resigned the presidency. If he loved his country, that would have been the decent thing to do.

Comment

For a contemporary view of Woodrow Wilson and his race relations:

My Impressions of Woodrow Wilson by WEB Du Bois

https://www.jstor.org/stable/2716751...o_tab_contents

Comment

Laurence Stallings on Wilson, from his book The Doughboys, page 1:

'Why write of them at this hour? Why open the door of a room sealed off in my mind for many years? I chose to walk among these buddies of the past so that they may be remembered. There was never an official history written of them. No anthologist has brought back the full savor or their ignorance or their valor, of their ultimate skill. The gulf between the Doughboys and their sons who fought in a far more complex war is simply unfathomable. Woodrow Wilson himself seems to have set the tone for an historical limbo by his conduct when he reached Paris and the Peace Conference. Only an hour away was Chateau-Thierry where a West Point lieutenant and his army of fourteen Doughboys carrying two Hotchkiss guns had dashed across the wagon bridge to begin the last-ditch defense of Paris. A right turn and a five-mile spin could have brought the President to the railroad embankment at Mezy, where Ulysses Grant McAlexander's 38th Infantry slaughtered a brigade of Prussian Grenadiers. A left turn for the same distance and Mr Wilson would have stood by the hunting lodge in Belleau Wood. Or, proceeding north by west to Picardy, he might have been in the village square where the 1st Division opened the ball at Cantigny. Or by lunching at Verdun he could have stood on Whittlesey's bench with the Lost Battalion. But he seemed reluctant to face any of the scenes of the battles his acts had brought about, however noble his motives must have been. It was as if some camper had left a careless fire, and was loath to view the blackened stumps of a once verdant wood.'
                            We are not now that strength which in old days
                            Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                            Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                            To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

I assume Wilson couldn't declare war unilaterally.

What was the make-up of congress at that time? Do we have any idea or breakdown on how the senators and representatives voted?

Comment

Originally posted by Canuckster View Post
                                I assume Wilson couldn't declare war unilaterally.

What was the make-up of congress at that time? Do we have any idea or breakdown on how the senators and representatives voted?
                                Not sure of the exact breakdown but this is from President Wilson himself. The Senate and Congress supported President Wilsons declaration of war.. Part of the declaration demands that natives of Germany are to be respected so long as they are not working against US interests.

THE PRESIDENT'S PROCLAMATION OF A STATE OF WAR

Whereas, The Congress of the United States, in the exercise of the constitutional authority vested i n them, have resolved by joint resolution of the Senate and House of Representatives, bearing date t his day, that a state of war between the United States and the Imperial German Government, which has been thrust upon the United States, is hereby formally declared;

Whereas, It is provided by Section 4067 of the Revised Statutes as follows:
                                Whenever there is declared a war between the Unite d States and any foreign nation or Government, or any invasion or predatory incursion is perpetrated , attempted or threatened against the territory of the United States by any foreign nation or Government, and the President makes public proclamation of the event, all natives, citizens, denizens or subjects of a hostile nation or Government being male of the age of fourteen years and upward who shall be within the United States and notactually naturalized shall be liable to be apprehended, restrained, secured, and removed as alien enemies.

The President is authorized in any such event, by his proclamation thereof or other public acts, to direct the conduct to be observed on the part of the United States toward the aliens who become so liable; the manner and degree of the restraint to which they shall be subject and in what cases and upon what security their residence shall be permitted and to provide for the removal of those who, no t being permitted to reside within the United Stat es, refuse or neglect to depart therefrom, and to establish any such regulations which are found necessary in the premises and for the public safety;

Whereas, By Sections 4068, 4069, and 4070 of the Revised Statutes further provision is made relative to alien enemies;

Now, therefore, I, Woodrow Wilson, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim to all whom it may concern that a state of war exists between the United States and the Imperial German Government, and I do specially direct all officers, civil or military, of the United States that they exercise vigilance and zeal in the discharge ofthe duties incident to such a state of war, and I do, moreover, earnestly appeal to all American citizens that they, in loyal devotion to their. country, dedicated from its foundation to the principles of liberty and justice, uphold the laws of the land and give undivided and willing support to those measures which may be adopted by the constitutional authorities in prosecuting the war to a successful issue and in obtaining a secure and just peace;

https://www.questia.com/read/704290/...ngress-january

George S Patton

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X