Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Surrey View Post

Maybe, but sure it was fired when both subs were submerged
    Pardon my scepticism but given that ASDIC (SONAR) was only just being introduced in surface vessels in 1918 and all subs had was not very directional hydrophones I find that difficult to believe.
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post

Pardon my scepticism but given that ASDIC (SONAR) was only just being introduced in surface vessels in 1918 and all subs had was not very directional hydrophones I find that difficult to believe.
      https://www.naval-encyclopedia.com/w...w1-submarines/

just looked it up. It was an R class sub. The torpedo was faulty though. The R class were the first subs built as hunter killers.
      "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post

https://www.naval-encyclopedia.com/w...w1-submarines/

just looked it up. It was an R class sub. The torpedo was faulty though. The R class were the first subs built as hunter killers.
        No mention of both boats being submerged at the time! I assume H-8 is a mis print. R-8 was based in Killybegs Donegal.

According to Akermann's Encyclopedia of British Submarines 1901 - 1955 only one R class fired at a U-boat but a salvo of six not a single fish - all missed. Again no mention of either boat as to whether submerged or not
        R-4 was used as a high speed manned target at the Portland A/S school but was not sunk but sold in 1934 Akermann comments that she had a reputation as a boat "things happened to"
        Last edited by MarkV; 23 Mar 19, 12:53.
        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post

No mention of both boats being submerged at the time! I assume H-8 is a mis print. R-8 was based in Killybegs Donegal.

According to Akermann's Encyclopedia of British Submarines 1901 - 1955 only one R class fired at a U-boat but a salvo of six not a single fish - all missed. Again no mention of either boat as to whether submerged or not
          R-4 was used as a high speed manned target at the Portland A/S school but was not sunk but sold in 1934 Akermann comments that she had a reputation as a boat "things happened to"
          Canít find the old link but the original story I read did compare it to the sinking of u864 in ww2. Have another search later.
          "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Just to muddy the waters

In his PhD War Studies Thesis BRITISH SUBMARINE DEVELOPMENT AND POLICY 1918 - 1959 at Kings College David Henry states

Only 'R. 7' encountered a U-boat and although it was able to reach an attack position, it was unable to make a successful attack.
            So which is it R7 or R8?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X