The Splintered Empires-The Eastern Front 1917-1921

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Splintered Empires-The Eastern Front 1917-1921

The Splintered Empires-The Eastern Front 1917-1921 by the British author Prit Buttar is a very good history of the eastern front at the end of WW1. It is mainly about the disintegration of the Russian, Austro-Hungarian and German Empires and the birth pangs of Poland and the Baltic republics. It's published by Osprey but don't be fooled. It is a full 400+ page book. The author has written several other books on the eastern front in both world wars. At a price of around $17 through Amazon and B&N, it's well worth it.

I have the kindle book, but am still on Volume 3 Russia's Last Gasp. I highly recommend Buttar's four volume tome on the Eastern Front. The attention to detail and research pretty much will make it the seminal work on the war in the Eastern Front for some time to come.

Comment

My main interest is the interwar years. How much of the book covers the Baltic Wars of Independence?
      thanks for any input
      Mark

Comment

Originally posted by CarpeDiem View Post
        My main interest is the interwar years. How much of the book covers the Baltic Wars of Independence?
        thanks for any input
        Mark
        About 80-90 pages.

Comment

I'm still halfway through volume II but I'll get there!

Impressively detailed yet very accessible Prit Buttar really deserves heaps of awards for bringing the 'Eastern Front' of WWI alive with that series. He has set the benchmark, at least in the English language, for that era and area IMO.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X