100th Anniversary of the Battle of St Quentin Canal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100th Anniversary of the Battle of St Quentin Canal

On this day in 1918 Allied forces commenced their attack on the Hindenburg line at the St. Quentin Canal, one of the strongest parts of the German defences.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batt..._Quentin_Canal
    Last edited by Surrey; 29 Sep 18, 09:30.
    "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Also the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Canal Du Nord, St Quetin and Canal Du Nord were the two death blows to the German Army 100 years ago to the day. I'm attending a Canal Du Nord 100 years commemorative event today followed by a presentation of the Sunset Ceremony performed by soldiers from across Canada representing the different Canadian and Newfoundland units present in the First World War at Government House in Fredericton put on by Veteran's Affairs.

Comment

The Times 29th September 1918

The last week has been easily the most successful week we have had since the war began, and if we weigh as well as measure our victories, the wonder increases. For the first time in the war we seem in sight of victory. Yet - let there be no mistake - it as yet only a distant view, and before we reach the summit we shall have to transverse many dips in the ground in which our vision is far more obscure.

Our correspondent at The Hague, a close student of conditions across the frontier, warns us this morning that the Germans do not even yet admit the possibility of defeat. We cannot afford to relax our efforts or suppose our troubles are over. It is a time for rejoicing. It is also a time for sober estimates and determined preparation.
      6 weeks to the armistice, and no-one sees it coming yet.

Comment

I think the military knew that germany's capacity to wage war was broken, that their railway links to supply the front were gone or in disarray, that huge materiale was abandoned or destroyed, and that Germany had no more prepared Hindenburg Line defenses to fall back on. It was now an open rear guard action for germany.

Comment

Originally posted by Aber View Post
          The Times 29th September 1918

6 weeks to the armistice, and no-one sees it coming yet.
          Actually 1 week to the first armistice request from Germany.

No wonder the German population was shocked by the speed of collapse following the breach of the Hindenburg line.

Comment

The battle was not the first occasion when US troops operated under Australian command. The first occasion was the Battle of Hamel: July 4th.1918.
            "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
            Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparlingo View Post
              I think the military knew that germany's capacity to wage war was broken, that their railway links to supply the front were gone or in disarray, that huge materiale was abandoned or destroyed, and that Germany had no more prepared Hindenburg Line defenses to fall back on. It was now an open rear guard action for germany.
              I don't think it is any coincidence the Germans agreed to the Armistice in Nov. 1918. I will go so far as to say I'm not even sure how many in the German high command thought anything could be achieve from continuing the fighting. There were major grumblings not only among the troops and sailors but they could see it within the civilian population as well. The situation in the east may have been stabilized, but the Bolshevik infection had already spread to the certain areas of the German civilian and even military sectors. The situation was about to snap and I think they knew it. What puzzles me, is that they knew of these things even if they didn't dare speak out of it, and yet the faith they placed in their Spring Offensive was highly unrealistic.
              You'll live, only the best get killed.

-General Charles de Gaulle

Comment

Spring Offensive had chances to success if it was better executed. But as usual Germans put too much on tactics and too little on strategy.
                There are no Nazis in Ukraine. Idiots

Comment

"The faith that they placed in their Spring Offensive was highly unrealistic"...Absolutely.

Germany had Erich von Luddendorf to thank for that, pushing the military beyond the boundary to achieve something that had eluded them for four years. Why he thought that the Kaiserschlacht would result in anything different is one of the Great War's Great Mysteries overall.

To counterattack after checking a large offensive was probably their best option to bring the Allies to the conference table, and this is precisely what Douglas Haig achieved, a counterstroke that sent the German Army reeling back over old battlefields. Haig is much maligned, but his performance in 1918 was proof positive that he was the right man for the job all along. The Great War panned out on the Western Front almost exactly as he had forseen it.

John Terraine tells it like it is as Haig's biographer, shattering the "Lions lead by donkey's" myth once and for all, and he did it 50 years ago.
                  My Articles, ALMOST LIVE, exclusive to The Armchair!

Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
                  GULAG Glossary....Who Really Killed The Red Baron?....Pearl Harbor At 75
                  Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X