Romanov Bodies Found?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Romanov Bodies Found?

It appears as if the bodies of Prince Alexei, the heir to the Russian throne, and his sister Princess Maria have finally been found nearly 90 years after their execution by the Bolsheviks in 1918. The discovery of the bodies has provoked a rather large reaction in Russian media with one paper showing 13 pages of pictures of Princess Maria and Prince Alexei. DNA testing will confirm rather the bodies actually belong to Prince Alexei and Princess Maria but it is more than likely. On an interesting note, when the first bodies were discovered in 1991 it was the Duke of Edinburgh that provided a sample for DNA testing, as he is related to the Russian royal family.

Anyways, say what you will about the brutality of the Tsar's state, nothing can justify the brutal execution of his family, their doctor, and three servants.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/russia/art...155904,00.html
    http://www.indianexpress.com/sunday/story/212621.html
    There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full. -Henry Kissinger

Most interesting. In St. Petersburg in particular, there are lots of iconic pictures of the tsar's family (I believe they are portrayed as martyrs or passion bearers rather than actual saints by the Russian Church). There is an ornate room in the Peter and Paul Cathedral dedicated to the remains of Nicholas II and his family (and servants), although I seem to recall there is some controversy over whether the church agrees that the remains were found.

The execution of the family, as well as the conditions in which they were held during the months before their deaths, was deplorable. Here's a detailed link about the story:

http://www.romanov-memorial.com/
    "There are only two professions in the world in which the amateur excels the professional. One, military strategy, and, two, prostitution."
    -- Maj. Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower

(Avatar: Commodore Edwin Ward Moore, Republic of Texas Navy)

Comment

Nope. Nothing can excuse it. They did thier best to try to keep the country happy, and this is how they were repaid.
      History of War Podcast

Episode 1: Why Study Military History?

Comment

I wouldn't say mudering the family in such a manner was a good thing to do, but the Romanov's had the country in virtual slavery under the ruling class.

That did not change very well after the revolution, but I believe a revolution was called for. If Trotsky hadn't got knocked off things might have taken a better turn.
        The Russian people have had to endure some great suffering.

"...knife a Romanoff whereever you find him..."
        ----Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Trung-si View Post
          I wouldn't say mudering the family in such a manner was a good thing to do, but the Romanov's had the country in virtual slavery under the ruling class.

That did not change very well after the revolution, but I believe a revolution was called for. If Trotsky hadn't got knocked off things might have taken a better turn.
          The Russian people have had to endure some great suffering.

"...knife a Romanoff whereever you find him..."
          ----Mark Twain
          Except that the family had been out of power for a year before they were executed.

Of course, being a national leader - or even being the young son or daughter of a national leader - incurs risks. Lots of tsars have been assasinated, and the chapel in Yekaterinburg is not the first "church on the spilled blood" erected to honor a Russian sovereign. However, terrorizing and then murdering a family was reprehensible - even if the national good was or may have been (or possibly wasn't) served.

In the end, though, I suppose all you can say is "war is hell."
          "There are only two professions in the world in which the amateur excels the professional. One, military strategy, and, two, prostitution."
          -- Maj. Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower

(Avatar: Commodore Edwin Ward Moore, Republic of Texas Navy)

Comment

Well, I don't know enough about the power and involvement of the Tsar himself, but it might have been possible for the Bolsheviks to justify his execution if they could find him guilty of major crimes. However, the brutal murder of his family was inexcusable. They didn't even shoot his daughters, but bayoneted them to death.
            There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full. -Henry Kissinger

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X