• Show
Clear All

• German WWI submarine found off Belgium

Another interesting discovery:
    German WW1 U-boat found off Belgian coast

Thanks Carpe!
    That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Reports here suggest the remains of some 23 sailors may still be aboard - the exact location is kept secret for now to discourage treasure hunters and looters.

https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2017/09...sleden-nog-aa/
      High The Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.
      Francis II, Holy Roman Emperor - The Napoleonic Wars Campaign.

Captain Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.

Comment

Will the remains be sent back to Germany for Identification and proper burial?

Comment

Originally posted by Merkava188 View Post
          Will the remains be sent back to Germany for Identification and proper burial?
          Most likely that the wreck will be declared a war grave and left where it is. The names of the crew members will already be on record somewhere.
          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
          Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

They should receive some kind burial ceremony. I remember in the late 1960s the U.S. Navy and the C.I.A. tried to raise a Soviet Submarine that went down off Hawaii. In the section that was brought up they found the remains of some of the crew and gave them a proper burial. A video of this ceremony was sent to Moscow. I'm sure Berlin would want the same for those in the sub that was found of Belgium.

Comment

As sea exploration continues, we can expect to find a lot more of this stuff. Thanks for posting it, Carpe!
              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

They should receive some kind burial ceremony. I remember in the late 1960s the U.S. Navy and the C.I.A. tried to raise a Soviet Submarine that went down off Hawaii. In the section that was brought up they found the remains of some of the crew and gave them a proper burial. A video of this ceremony was sent to Moscow. I'm sure Berlin would want the same for those in the sub that was found of Belgium.
                It has been common practice in a great many countries since WW1 to treat such wrecks as war graves and not to disturb any bodies. The British Isles are surrounded with such sites both British and German. If the wreck is deemed a hazard to navigation then it may be moved but remains a war grave. On discovery of such a wreck containing bodies there is usually a ceremony on a boat directly above the wreck that serves as a "proper burial" and is akin to a burial at sea. Sailors were traditionally buried at sea. "The sea also shall give up the dead which are therein" (Rev.20:13),
                Last edited by MarkV; 24 Sep 17, 05:14.
                Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

Well I hope they'll hold some kind of memorial service.

Comment

Well I hope they'll hold some kind of memorial service.
                    That would be down to Germany to organise but that I note through my travels that Germany is much more reluctant to memorialise her dead than many other nations. I suspect that she would rather like to pretend that WW1 and WW2 had not happened - one can understand why.

Comment

For the moment they're waiting for the full investigation report, this will almost certainly include contacting German historians to help identify the sub and those aboard.

No doubt during the course of this research - if successful - the living relatives will be informed.

As I understand it the location is fairly close to Ostend which could mean there's a risk for treasure hunters or scavengers if the exact location became known in certain circles.

At any rate the German embassy has been involved and I'm sure some sort of satisfactory solution can be found.
                      High The Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.
                      Francis II, Holy Roman Emperor - The Napoleonic Wars Campaign.

Captain Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.

Comment

Working...
                      X