Where gallant comrades fall,
    Where blood is poured like water,
    They drive the trickling ball.
    The fear of death before them,
    Is but an empty name;
    True to the land that bore them,
    The SURREYS played the game.

http://www.exploringsurreyspast.org....july_1st_1916/

Here's one photo which may be lesser known...

The centenary date is fast approaching.

I would assume it is the 'big one' as far as WW1 centenary events in the UK.

Comment

Incredible story.
      Very moving.Merci from sharing it with us,in complete indifference,as usual on a so-called "historical site"

And thanks again for your indefatigable efforts for enlightening us !
      That rug really tied the room together

Comment

By all accounts the Somme area will be packed. I'm considering going over for the LAST day of the Somme in which my Grandfather participated. For his battalion (10th RDF) it was every bit as bloody as the first day was for some - they suffered 50% casualties (but took all their objectives). Grandfather came through unscathed. It'll be a lot quieter then but November can be a bit chilly
        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
        Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
          Incredible story.
          Very moving.Merci from sharing it with us,in complete indifference,as usual on a so-called "historical site"

And thanks again for your indefatigable efforts for enlightening us !
          Thanks Seb for the nice comments.
          Last edited by Canuckster; 29 Jun 16, 13:10.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
            By all accounts the Somme area will be packed. I'm considering going over for the LAST day of the Somme in which my Grandfather participated. For his battalion (10th RDF) it was every bit as bloody as the first day was for some - they suffered 50% casualties (but took all their objectives). Grandfather came through unscathed. It'll be a lot quieter then but November can be a bit chilly
            Which area will that be in MkV?

I'm looking forward to seeing pics and videos from the day's events. I am sure they will all be quite moving.

Comment

Originally posted by Canuckster View Post
              Which area will that be in MkV?

I'm looking forward to seeing pics and videos from the day's events. I am sure they will all be quite moving.
              Battle of the Ancre, Newfoundland Park, Beaumont Hamel but I don't think there are any ceremonies planned for the final whistle
              Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

Here's a question for everyone that has me puzzled. Never gave it a thought until now.

The East Surrey's captured and held their objective at Montauban. So why is there a picture of a German holding the football? Prisoner?

Comment

Just a thought for all these guys who fought for a wet dream of a united and peaceful Europe.
                  That rug really tied the room together

Comment

My grandfather became an advocate for Esperanto on the grounds that if everyone spoke the same language they wouldn't go to war again - definitely a triumph of hope over experience given that he and his battalion had fought in Dublin in 1916 but he didn't volunteer in 1915 in the hopes of a united and peaceful Europe - it was to kick the Germans out of Belgium.

Comment

Here's a question for everyone that has me puzzled. Never gave it a thought until now.

The East Surrey's captured and held their objective at Montauban. So why is there a picture of a German holding the football? Prisoner?

Cancel that, I think it's a British tunic[/spoiler
                      Correct - and feldmutz are often seen sported as trophies

Comment

What passing-bells2 for these who die as cattle?
                        Only the monstrous anger of the guns.
                        Only the stuttering rifles' rapid rattle
                        Can patter out3 their hasty orisons.4
                        No mockeries5 now for them; no prayers nor bells;
                        Nor any voice of mourning save the choirs,
                        The shrill, demented6 choirs of wailing shells;
                        And bugles7 calling for them from sad shires.8
                        What candles9 may be held to speed them all?
                        Not in the hands of boys but in their eyes
                        Shall shine the holy glimmers of goodbyes.
                        The pallor10 of girls' brows shall be their pall;
                        Their flowers the tenderness of patient minds,
                        And each slow dusk11 a drawing-down of blinds.12
                        "Sometimes its better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" T Pratchett

Comment

Trivia..
                          My original joining regiment ( before I switched) in the British Army was the East Surrey's and one of the footballs involved was on display at the regimental museum.......nothing impressive, just a bunch of leather with a lot of holes...RIP guys....

Comment

On through the hail of slaughter,
                            Where gallant comrades fall,
                            Where blood is poured like water,
                            They drive the trickling ball.
                            The fear of death before them,
                            Is but an empty name;
                            True to the land that bore them,
                            The SURREYS played the game.

http://www.exploringsurreyspast.org....july_1st_1916/

Here's one photo which may be lesser known...

The man holding the ball is Private Draper one of the men who kicked it to the German wire. The photo is part of one produced in the Daily Sketch 22nd July 1916. And was one of a number of the ceremony at the regimental barracks at which the ball was taken into the Regimental museum. Draper was wounded in the attack.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X