100 years ago today.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100 years ago today.....

100 years ago today, an intense artillery barrage buried French soldiers, mainly of the 2n Batt., 137e RI, in their trench in the Verdun sector. This particularly violent battle lasted about to days, during which both side attacked and counter-attack numerous time. The result? The French troops of 137e RI held their ground, and even gained about 50 meters of no-man's land. The cost? The 137e RI lost approximately 1,557 troops, effectively annihilating the regiment. This was also the battle during which my family lost three immediate ancestors and a fourth distant relative. They were all killed within minutes of each other. One has a known grave, the others are still out there, waiting to be found. The 5th member of the group - my grandfather, was the only survivor.

Incidentally, on a nearby hill, a young captain of the adjacent 93e RI was also nearly buried alive during that same barrage, but managed to extricate himself and survived. He was Jean de Lattre de Tassigny, who would become General of the 1st French Army in 1944.
    Last edited by asterix; 11 Jun 16, 21:28.
    You'll live, only the best get killed.

-General Charles de Gaulle

«TENACE DANS LA DEFENSE, REDOUTABLE DANS L’ATTAQUE»

"TOUGH IN DEFENCE DANGEROUS IN ATTACK"
    "To hell wars Grudges and parties ! As our fathers Sing in real friends, The clink of glasses Roses and lilies. The clink of glasses Roses and lilies."

Comment

One of my great uncles is buried there
      à vaincre sans péril, on triomphe sans gloire (triumph without peril brings no glory) P. Corneille

Le probleme avec les cons, c'est qu'il ne se fatiguent jamais
      (The problem with Pr.cks, is that they never get tired ) Michel Audiard

Comment

Asterix,very moving story .
        Your family payed the heavy price for the France.
        My great gran father gave his life in April 1918.
        The key for understanding the fall of France in 1940 can be found in the figures of the death that we endure in 14-18
        That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Originally posted by PGT Beauregard View Post
          One of my great uncles is buried there
          I also have a great uncle buried in France, salute.

Comment

I've been to Verdun, though it was over thirty years ago. An incredible, and unforgettable battle, clearly incomprehensible to too many today.

Vive la France!

We are not now that strength which in old days
            Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
            Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
            To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Curious though, I visited Verdun in late 2008 and was both surprised and disappointed that the rifles/bayonets at the trench of bayonets are rusted down to indistinguishable nubs. Why aren't they preserved in some way?
              "Amateurs study tactics; professionals study logistics"
              -Omar Bradley
              "Not everyone who studies logistics is a professional logistician, and there is no way to understand when you don't know what you don't know."
              -Anonymous US Army logistician

Comment

Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
                Asterix,very moving story .
                Your family payed the heavy price for the France.
                My great gran father gave his life in April 1918.
                The key for understanding the fall of France in 1940 can be found in the figures of the death that we endure in 14-18
                Entire generations of young men were lost during the Great War by all sides.
                I've been to Verdun, The Trench of Bayonets, Duouamont and the Ossuary. The Ossuary remains the most moving to me - so many unidentified dead lost forever to their loved ones...and for what?
                Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  The Ossuary remains the most moving to me - so many unidentified dead lost forever to their loved ones...and for what?
                  I had the exact same experience... I was on mid-tour leave from Afghanistan and spent 17 days in Germany, had a chance to visit Verdun and it was a game changer. It's tough to go back to a war after such an anti-war feeling becomes so strong, I can only imagine what it was like for the survivors of Verdun.
                  Thus my avatar
                  "Amateurs study tactics; professionals study logistics"
                  -Omar Bradley
                  "Not everyone who studies logistics is a professional logistician, and there is no way to understand when you don't know what you don't know."
                  -Anonymous US Army logistician

Comment

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                      Berlin.1945
                      by casanova
                      The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                      Yesterday, 23:41
                    • casanova
                      AW 169M
                      by casanova
                      The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                      Yesterday, 23:26
                    • JBark
                      What changed?
                      by JBark
                      There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                      Yesterday, 18:54
                    Working...
                    X