Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arnold Crabtree, WW1 British Sniper & Sniper School Recruit.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Arnold Crabtree, WW1 British Sniper & Sniper School Recruit.

    Hi I'm Alex Devaney and I write WW1 & WW2 ebooks. Since becoming a member of this great forum, I have used it with great interest and research purposes.

    If anyone is interested in information/research about WW1 British Snipers and the early sniper school, set up by Major Vernon Hesketh-Prichard, you may be interested in my new ebook. See it on Amazon Kindle and Smashwords site.

    Arnold Crabtree, WW1 British Sniper, is my Great-Uncle-In-Law, and through my research I have built up a picture of his time in the WW1. My ebook takes you on Arnold's personal journey, from the cotton mills of Rochdale, England, to the trenches of Flanders and France. His training as a sniper in one of the early sniper schools and his part in the Battle of Loos.

    This short ebook is packed with photographs, maps and leading personalities of the time. Thank you.
    Last edited by Alex Devaney; 04 Nov 12, 04:51.

  • #2
    Thank you Alex - I enjoyed the Hesketh-Pritchard book quite a lot and shall look out for your E-book.
    ------
    'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

    If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Alex Devaney View Post
      Hi I'm Alex Devaney and I write WW1 & WW2 ebooks. Since becoming a member of this great forum, I have used it with great interest and research purposes.

      If anyone is interested in information/research about WW1 British Snipers and the early sniper school, set up by Major Vernon Hesketh-Prichard, you may be interested in my new ebook. See it on Amazon Kindle and Smashwords site.

      Arnold Crabtree, WW1 British Sniper, is my Great-Uncle-In-Law, and through my research I have built up a picture of his time in the WW1. My ebook takes you on Arnold's personal journey, from the cotton mills of Rochdale, England, to the trenches of Flanders and France. His training as a sniper in one of the early sniper schools and his part in the Battle of Loos.

      This short ebook is packed with photographs, maps and leading personalities of the time. Thank you.
      He must have been a very brave man -- probably constantly worried about running into the highly trained German snipers. Cant imagine his occupation had a very high survival rate.
      O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy. And the Lord did grin. And the people did feast upon the lambs, sloths, carp, anchovies, orangutans, breakfast cereals, fruit bats

      Comment


      • #4
        According to the Hesketh-Pritchard book, from what I recall, Imperial snipers were somewhat ahead of Germans by end of 1916. But what the British Army came to do quite well, was locating/spotting snipers and counter-sniper artillery fire. German sniper training was not formalised to the same extent as the Army Sniper Schools by the mid-way mark of the war and this, apparently, began to show. Sniping in France, if you can get it, is a great read.
        ------
        'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

        If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

        Comment


        • #5
          Sniping In The Great War. WW1 Black Snipers?

          Originally posted by Selous View Post
          Thank you Alex - I enjoyed the Hesketh-Pritchard book quite a lot and shall look out for your E-book.
          Hi General Selous

          Thanks for your interest in my WW1 British Sniper ebook. All my short WW1 ebooks are selling very well on Amazon kindle, including my WW1 christmas
          collection. Thank you to everyone at Armchair General for their support and kind comments.

          I'm glad you enjoyed the book I recommended. 'Sniping in France,' by Major Hesketh-Pritchard, written after WW1 (1923) about his observations about sniping and the obstacles he faced, from the British High Command, in setting up a sniper school in Bethune, France, which he eventually achieved.

          I noted your comments about british snipers in 1916 and imperial snipers. The tide had begun to turn in british sniping techniques to combat the superior tactics of the german snipers. The support of Commonwealth snipers helped the british army to win the war.

          'Sniping in the Great War,' by Martin Pegler, is another book I recommend. He has many photographs of commonwealth snipers and sniper rifles in his book and talks at length about sniping techniques during the great war.

          I've read alot about Commonwealth snipers, but never came across a black sniper in WW1? I'm sure there must of been some. I know many black soldiers who called up, were dismayed to be kept behind the lines doing menial jobs, but some must of broke through the ranks?

          One black soldier, Walter Tull, from Britain and a famous footballer before WW1 (played for Totten Hotspurs) rose through the ranks to become the first british born black officer in WW1, to lead white troops into battle. He fought in many major battles and became a WW1 hero. I've just written an ebook about him, on amazon kindle. However, if anyone knows of a black sniper or a book about him, let me know.

          ALEX DEVANEY

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Selous View Post
            Sniping in France, if you can get it, is a great read.
            Looks quite interesting:

            http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Sniping_in_France
            O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy. And the Lord did grin. And the people did feast upon the lambs, sloths, carp, anchovies, orangutans, breakfast cereals, fruit bats

            Comment

            Latest Topics

            Collapse

            Working...
            X