Poll: Causes of Great War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well- Nickuru, what about it ?

How can I mend my evil ways if you cannot cite exactly where I have said that you are "stupid" or have impugned your educational standard ?

Anyway you are totally wrong, I hold most, if not all posters, in considerable esteem and believe that most, if not all, have achieved a high educational standard or else they would not be participating in the first place.

Certainly I have disagreed with much of what you have posted but,surely, that's the nature of debate.

So if I've given offense say where and when.

Oh and BTW, your statement that France was " were bent on war", and the sole reason you mention for the collapse of the Ottoman Empire are both... simplistic.
    "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
    Samuel Johnson.

Comment

"The personality traits or actions of an individual or group of individuals."

Considering how few people made the decisions for war, I'm not sure how it can be anything other than this one. Besides, most of the other options are the result of this factor.

Comment

"Germans" isn't an option

Shame on you Selous!
        Task Force Regenbogen- Support and Paras

Comment

I chose multiple. When reading about WWI I always get the feeling that these countries WANTED war. Not only the royal families, generals, governments but also (and I might be a bit out of line here) the people themselves.

Most of the options in the poll can all be considered as the reasons behind the war but I like to think of them more as excuses. In my honest opinion this war was unavoidable...the fuse was not lit because of the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, but rather the fuse had already been burning for a while.

Just an opinion though
          I am G.I. Jew

Comment

Originally posted by Yono View Post
            I chose multiple. When reading about WWI I always get the feeling that these countries WANTED war. Not only the royal families, generals, governments but also (and I might be a bit out of line here) the people themselves.

Most of the options in the poll can all be considered as the reasons behind the war but I like to think of them more as excuses. In my honest opinion this war was unavoidable...the fuse was not lit because of the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, but rather the fuse had already been burning for a while.

Just an opinion though
            I think you've summed it up nicely, combined decades of nationalism, arms race, complicated treaties and the likes made a situation where war was inevitable. It would be a crime to reduce it to one solitary event, especially whereas the death of the Archduke was, to use the old proverb, the straw that broke the camels back.

But I do love the Blackadder references: "Archy Duke shot an ostrich" had me splitting my sides. You can tell from my avatar I'm a fan.
            You, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace, after having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

-- Ataturk

Comment

The development of rival alliances from a complex and entangling set of treaties is the right answer as any conflict between two nations would lead to a war where all the major nations were involved.

Comment

peterhof is a refugee from another board, where he has been posting EXACTLY the same threads (and posts) and has been continually corrected by other posters, and frequently warned by moderators. Simple repetition does not make his arguments stronger.
                Peter’s theories are one sided and I do not agree with them. That being said.

Peterhof still posts on that board so his is not a refugee, he ‘corrects’ other posters as much as he is corrected, and the moderator you mention that is always warning him, which you casually seem to pretend is a neutral figure, has had strong personal antagonism towards Peter for years before he ever became a moderator. Get your facts straight before you start posting lies and half truths, Aber.

Comment

Germans" isn't an option. Shame on you Selous!
                  Your new overlords in Europe, now that they seemed to have recovered their long-misplaced gonads, are going to have a thing or two to tell you about why WW1 broke out. Ah, if I had a time machine I should think I should go back and fetch Grey, bring him to 2012, and fix his eyes so that he could behold his nightmare in all its splendour. :^)

I chose multiple. When reading about WWI I always get the feeling that these countries WANTED war.
                  Down to just one check box, Russian aggression in the Balkans is why WW1 happened. The fact that Russia and Austria were confident enough to come to blows, well, you can infer the other necessary factors from that.

Comment

Multiple for sure with a lack of or, at least, a dwindling world (Imperialistically) to rule, they turned an eye toward each other by dredging up old grudges. In short, militarism; large standing armies chomping at the bit. Boil, boil, boil...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn239 View Post
                      Down to just one check box, Russian aggression in the Balkans is why WW1 happened. The fact that Russia and Austria were confident enough to come to blows, well, you can infer the other necessary factors from that.
                      Yes but with enough pressure from foreign countries (GB, Germany, France..)
                      Russian aggression (and Austrian aggression) could have been tamed. But the fact of the matter is, there was no real form of cooperation between the major powers to find a peaceful solution to the Balkan problem and no one really wanted to find one either.
                      Instead there were pushes and cries for war.
                      I am G.I. Jew

Comment

From the diplomatic POV, there was a collective brainfart from several key players. Nobody seemed to put much thought into the consequences of their actions and posturings until it was far too late.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn239 View Post

Peterhof still posts on that board so his is not a refugee, he ‘corrects’ other posters as much as he is corrected, and the moderator you mention that is always warning him, which you casually seem to pretend is a neutral figure, has had strong personal antagonism towards Peter for years before he ever became a moderator. Get your facts straight before you start posting lies and half truths, Aber.
                          Perhaps migrant would be a better description than refugee - 'seeking out new opportunities and escaping a repressive regime'

I've been following the WWI threads for a while now and I've seen enough instances of cherry-picked quotes and unsourced assertions to form my own opinion of posters and moderators. The threads do have a strange resemblance to the Western front - great barrages of text, argument and quotes, but the when the dust clears the trenches have not really moved very far.

Comment

:/ sounds grave
                            ------
                            'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

Nikola Pasic

Contrary to the way historians viewed him, Pasic was a voice of moderation. The swell of the Serbian nationalists, helped by the Russian Pan Slavs created a seething cauldron of violence. Pasic an engineer by education, surprisingly; was a voice of reason in a Balkan peninsula where conflicts seemed to be rule of the day.

The Balkan Wars set everyone at each others throats, and round three was just around the corner. Unfortunately it turned into WWI. Here is an interesting link about Prime Minister Pasic, who had to flee the country twice, due to uprisings. King Milan abdicated, his son Alexander was removed by a bloody coup, and Pasic had to flee the country on another occasion:

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/...0/Nikola-Pasic

Nationalist factions in Russia, Serbia, Greece and Bulgaria were seeking a way to take over Constantinople (Istanboul). It would be interesting to find out what the Turkish diplomacy had picked up from their agents, spies and diplomats as to this. Any information is helpful.
                              When looking for the reason why things go wrong, never rule out stupidity, Murphy's Law Nº 8
                              Those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it. George Santayana
                              "Ach du schwein" a German parrot captured at Bukoba GEA the only prisoner taken

Comment

The French desire for revanche - in the aftermath of the Franco-Prussian war of 1870 - was the first impetus to war. Added to this was the Russian drang nach Constantinople which led to the formation of the Franco-Russian alliance. Finally, it was Great Britain's alignment with France and Russia which imparted to the Sarajevo crisis the power to trigger a European war.
                                "We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X