Help with my Family History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with my Family History

Hello this is my first time on this forum so i apologise if this posting is in the wrong place.
    I have a picture which i have added as attachment, which i think must be WW1 it was given to my mother who was told one of the gentleman sitting on carriage(left in the picture)is my great grandfather ,the actual event which looks like a funeral procession and the place was unknown.
    When i scanned the picture onto my computer i was able to zoom in on areas and found written on the fencing between the gates STANHOPE the rest is hidden behind the soldier on horseback i think this is STANHOPE GATE ? Which was somewhere near Hyde Park in london.
    I would be really interested if anyone has any information on this event, place, people, dates etc so i can continue my search on my family history.
    if this is not relevant to this forum please accept my apologies
    paul
    Attached Files

It may well be the parade associated with the return of the Unknown Soldier. That is the only event I can attribute the large number of soldiers to.

Comment

The location posted on the sign on the gate may also be key to that event.
      “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

The unknown soldier

The return of the unknown soldier yes thats a interesting thought,every time i look at the picture the amount of soldiers involved makes me think that it was a important event.
        The actual picture is properly mounted with " A Portrait by The London Stereoscopic Company 3 Hanover Square W" written along the bottom of the mount, hopefully someone will come up with a few leads that i can follow
        paul

Comment

Originally posted by broderickwells View Post
          It may well be the parade associated with the return of the Unknown Soldier. That is the only event I can attribute the large number of soldiers to.
          I was gonna say Haigs funeral maybe but that was in Scotland I think
          http://g.bf3stats.com/pc/1LP76r6C/melba_101.png

Comment

If we know (roughly) which year this event took place, it may help narrow things down. Dougie died in 1928.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X