Whats old is new again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats old is new again

Many of you will know me from WW2 but just today I bought an excellent book on WW1 fully illustrated with masses of info: that I knew little or nothing about. Dying to use my fresh knowledge so from now on will be paying you blokes a regular visit! lcm1
    'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
    " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

What was the book?
    History is not tragedy; to understand historical reality, it is sometimes better to not know the end of the story.

Pierre Vidal-Naquet

Comment

Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
      Many of you will know me from WW2 but just today I bought an excellent book on WW1 fully illustrated with masses of info: that I knew little or nothing about. Dying to use my fresh knowledge so from now on will be paying you blokes a regular visit! lcm1
      Looking forward to your regular forays into the WW1 forum, lcm1.
      Indeed I only know you from the WW2 forums, but glad you decided to wander away from there and take a look into the wide world
      Echoing Bluenose and out of curiosity: what was the WW1 book that made you move?
      BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

A few combat veterans that were fired at and returned fire.
        My worst jump story:
        My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
        As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
        No lie.

~
        "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
        -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Awesome WW1 is an interesting subject for the changes of thoughts and politics and war it self I hope you enjoy learning like i do
          http://g.bf3stats.com/pc/1LP76r6C/melba_101.png

Comment

Originally posted by Major Sennef View Post
            Looking forward to your regular forays into the WW1 forum, lcm1.
            Indeed I only know you from the WW2 forums, but glad you decided to wander away from there and take a look into the wide world
            Echoing Bluenose and out of curiosity: what was the WW1 book that made you move?
            It is by Ian Westwell,full of photo's,maps and battle plans and analysis of decisive encounters.A full list of the contents is amazing and it now gives me an opportunity to dabble into the first World War.My Dad spoke very little about it. lcm1
            'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
              What was the book?
              Bn, read my latest about the book, cheers,lcm1
              'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

WW1 is a facinating subject once you get past the 'meat grinder' general image. Particualarly nearer the end when the basics of blitzkreig and modern all arms warfare were introduced. And not by the Germans.

Comment

Arguably by the French.
                  "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                  Samuel Johnson.

Comment

I can't wait for lcm1 to realise there's a Napoleonic branch of the Forum. Reading about how he marched and fought with Wellington's Redcoats... when he 'were nowt burra lad' will make fascinating reading!

The long toll of the brave
                    Is not lost in darkness
                    Over the fruitful earth
                    And athwart the seas
                    Hath passed the light of noble deeds
                    Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Von Richter View Post
                      I can't wait for lcm1 to realise there's a Napoleonic branch of the Forum. Reading about how he marched and fought with Wellington's Redcoats... when he 'were nowt burra lad' will make fascinating reading!

I did know Von, but I have studiously ignored it,because I know little or nothing about Nap: apart from Waterloo and the fact that one night he said to the Empress,"Not tonight Josephine, (that's not spelt right is it)...my backs killing me"!! lcm1
                      'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

I did know Von, but I have studiously ignored it,because I know little or nothing about Nap: apart from Waterloo and the fact that one night he said to the Empress,"Not tonight Josephine, (that's not spelt right is it)...my backs killing me"!! lcm1
                        That must have been really serious for Napoleon. He was known to run off with any wench he could find. Too bad there were no chiropractors around in those days.
                        When looking for the reason why things go wrong, never rule out stupidity, Murphy's Law Nș 8
                        Those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it. George Santayana
                        "Ach du schwein" a German parrot captured at Bukoba GEA the only prisoner taken

Comment

Originally posted by Nickuru View Post
                          That must have been really serious for Napoleon. He was known to run off with any wench he could find. Too bad there were no chiropractors around in those days.
                          I bet that's what it was,he was having it away from Josie' any excuse is better than none!!
                          'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X