Willy to Nicky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Willy to Nicky

Here is a good list of the telegrams sent between Czar Nikolai Vtoroi and Kaiser Wilhelm II.

http://www.firstworldwar.com/source/willynicky.htm

It is my understanding that this war, WWI was inevitable eventually. But perhaps the war parties wanted it at that time, since both sides thought they would lose advantages in the long run.

Italy was always questionable as an ally and not too well led on the field of battle. Had Italy kept to the Triple Allaince and attacked France they might have gotten back Nice and Savoia which they gave to Napoleon III for armies to defeat the Austrians in 1859.

Had Kaiser Bill returned to Berlin immediately and pressured Austria to accept the Serbian terms, things might have been defused. Feel free to disagree.
    When looking for the reason why things go wrong, never rule out stupidity, Murphy's Law Nș 8
    Those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it. George Santayana
    "Ach du schwein" a German parrot captured at Bukoba GEA the only prisoner taken

Originally posted by Nickuru View Post
    Here is a good list of the telegrams sent between Czar Nikolai Vtoroi and Kaiser Wilhelm II.

http://www.firstworldwar.com/source/willynicky.htm

It is my understanding that this war, WWI was inevitable eventually. But perhaps the war parties wanted it at that time, since both sides thought they would lose advantages in the long run.

Italy was always questionable as an ally and not too well led on the field of battle. Had Italy kept to the Triple Allaince and attacked France they might have gotten back Nice and Savoia which they gave to Napoleon III for armies to defeat the Austrians in 1859.

Had Kaiser Bill returned to Berlin immediately and pressured Austria to accept the Serbian terms, things might have been defused. Feel free to disagree.
    I agree with much of what's been said: The Kaiser might well have interceded and prevented Russia from supporting Serbia against the Habsburgs. You might add Tunisia and even Corsica to Nice and Savoy as territories that Italy may have hoped to gain.

But what I baulk at is the use of the word "inevitable".
    "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
    Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
      I agree with much of what's been said: The Kaiser might well have interceded and prevented Russia from supporting Serbia against the Habsburgs. You might add Tunisia and even Corsica to Nice and Savoy as territories that Italy may have hoped to gain.

But what I baulk at is the use of the word "inevitable".
      You may be right here. The Germans and the Austrians thought that Russia was growing so fast industrially that the war parties thought this was one of the last chances to take care of the Balkan problems. Barbara Tuchman (sadly departed) researched this and concluded that Austria came to the conclusion that they had to attack.

The curious part is relations between Britain and Germany had been improving since 1908. Had the Kaiser restrained Austria and no war broken out, the British Navy would have far outclassed the Germans with their Queen Elizabeth clas ships by 1916. At which point Germany would have a nice navy, but realized they were no match for Britain. At this point there might have been a simmering down of tensions.

I realize this is speculation, but just before WWI started, the British and the German navies were holding joint manoeuvres. Everyone was appalled on hearing of Franz Ferdinand' assasination. One gun ruined years of diplomacy.
      When looking for the reason why things go wrong, never rule out stupidity, Murphy's Law Nș 8

Comment

The silly thing was that Austria had been Britain's traditional ally against the French. There was considerable sympathy both publicly and in the circles of power in Britain for the Austrians directly after the assassinations. Serbia (or Servia as the British insisted on calling it then) was seen as some sort of mad dog and the Austrians were reckoned as having a fair case. The Austrians certainly blew that little piece of support.

Comment

Another thing which surprises out of the history is that Russia (of all countries) was actually making peace offers which the Germans and the Austrians refused. This is from a book I found titled 'Russian diplomatic history during WWI' This was a used book I found by pure chance.

It was a case of the carnage being unnecesary. Christmas Day 1914 the English and the Germans celebrated the Holiday and played football together. By 1916 things had changed. Karl became Emperor in Austria, after the death of Franz Joseph, but by this time Russia was in a diplomatic coma and falling to pieces. By 1917 Russia was on automatic pilot and everyone was sick and tired of war, if they were still alive.
          Last edited by Nickuru; 28 Aug 12, 02:27. Reason: syntax

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X