• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boater chases periscope off Florida beach

From the Palm Beach Post

Boater chases mysterious periscope off Hollywood beach

Talk about the big one that got away.

Ryan Danoff was fishing with two friends about four miles off Hollywood beach Sunday when he spied what appeared to be a mast on the horizon.

Funny thing: There was no boat underneath it.

Danoff, a Fort Lauderdale fish farmer who's on the water at least three days a week, aimed his 31-foot center console Fishy Business at the mysterious upright and found himself eye to eye with a periscope.

"It was crazy," he said. "If it was just myself out there I wouldn't believe what I saw."

Danoff moved closer. "It took off," he said. Very fast, about 20 knots. The periscope sank beneath the waves, and whatever was below the surface blew its ballast, sending aloft a mighty hiccup of bubbles. After five minutes the sea lay once again undisturbed.
    Full article is linked above.

Captain on a lazy afternoon at sea just enjoying the view from max zoom on the spotting scope perhaps?
    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

hee hee, noiw thats funny, ....unless its a Chinese sub of course..!!!

Comment

How deep is that water?
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
          How deep is that water?
          I can check my charts if you want, but 400 feet (plus or minus 50) sounds right.

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
            Captain on a lazy afternoon at sea just enjoying the view from max zoom on the spotting scope perhaps?
            Unlikely to be doing some babe watching, at a 4 NM range the scope would not see the lower part of the beach, curvature of earth and all.

kelt
            Last edited by kelt06; 23 Jun 10, 10:24.

Comment

Is it uncommon for a sub to move at that speed now of days? I know that a sub couldn't reach that speed underwater in WW2.
              In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes
              - Benjamin Franklin, U.S. statesman, author, and scientist

Comment

Yes, nuclear submarines can easily exceed 20 knots submerged.

Comment

They were searching for birds.Where there are birds,there are fish.If they find the birds they can surface and start fishing!
                  ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Great story Ibis!

If I was forced to put up money, I'd say it was something headed to or from the Autec Range: http://www.npt.nuwc.navy.mil/autec/broch.htm
                    Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics.

Comment

I think the US Coast Guard later stated that it was NOT one of ours (ie: a US Navy submarine). It was most likely a drug smuggling submarine owned by one of the Latin American drug cartels. Basically they take mini subs and stuff them full of drugs and sail them to a point offshore where they meet up with a boat that will transfer the drugs to shore where they end up in a community near you.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF1987 View Post
                        I think the US Coast Guard later stated that it was NOT one of ours (ie: a US Navy submarine). It was most likely a drug smuggling submarine owned by one of the Latin American drug cartels. Basically they take mini subs and stuff them full of drugs and sail them to a point offshore where they meet up with a boat that will transfer the drugs to shore where they end up in a community near you.
                        I think you forgot to add your sarcasm alert...

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF1987 View Post
                          From what I understand the drug running subs are really just semi-submersibles.
                          ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

These are drug runners we're talking about here. Considering the fact that it had a mounted periscope, and that it was able to literally sprint away from an approaching vessel, reaching speeds in excess of 20kts, tells me it wasn't drug related. Those are nuke sub speeds, and IMHO no private entity owns a nuclear submarine. Additionally, I seriously doubt that a drug cartel could acquire, maintain, and properly use a Type VII U-Boat, or a US Gato-Class. And neither one of those vessels is capable of reaching more than ~18kts on the surface in at flank speed, much less underwater, even with the shnorkel.
                            Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                              ... reaching speeds in excess of 20kts, tells me it wasn't drug related. Those are nuke sub speeds, ...
                              Such speeds are not the exclusive domain of nuc boats:

Canadian Navy - Victoria class acknowledges submerged speeds of 20+ knots ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upholde...lass_submarine )

German and Italian navies - Type 212 also lists submerged speeds of 20 knots ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_212_submarine )

For comparison, the USN nuclear Los Angeles class also acknowledges a submerged speed of +20 knots. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Ang...lass_submarine )

And these are only the speeds to which the operating authority will admit ...
                              Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X