No announcement yet.

U.S.S. Olympia, Dewey's flagship at Manila, may be turned into artificial reef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S.S. Olympia, Dewey's flagship at Manila, may be turned into artificial reef

This would truly be a sad end to a historic ship . Robert

U.S.S. Olympia, Dewey's flagship at Manila, may be turned into artificial reef
    Historic warship's future may be sunk

By Edward Colimore

Inquirer Staff Writer

The old warship has been part of Philadelphia's waterfront for 50 years and left lasting impressions on thousands of visitors who heard gripping stories of its role in the Spanish-American War.

Now the Olympia - the last surviving vessel from that 1898 conflict - could face an ignoble end as an artificial reef off Cape May if a new benefactor cannot be found.

The Independence Seaport Museum and the Navy have already checked with officials of New Jersey's Artificial Reef Program on the possibility of sinking the ship, once a source of national pride.

"Another option would be scrapping Olympia," said James McLane, interim president of the museum, which owns the ship and is adjacent to it at Penn's Landing. "But the Navy has told us that 'reefing' is better because it would allow divers to go down on it and would preserve Olympia."

The museum can no longer afford the ship's upkeep, McLane said. At least $20 million is needed to tow, restore, interpret, and endow the deteriorating vessel.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/front...#axzz0orzL4qkw
    For the first time I have seen "History" at close quarters,and I know that its actual process is very different from what is presented to Posterity. - WWI General Max Hoffman

Take the funds out of all the campaign funding. It would serve a much more worth while purpose.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Don't go near the reef...

What a sad, ignoble end to a once proud ship. How much $$ does the government spend per day in Iraq, Afghanistan, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Guam, and all the myriad outposts and far flung duty stations of our armed services? How much $$ could be saved by keeping say...three supercarriers in port a day or two longer? Or, to move away from the military, how much government $$ is wasted on Congress' pork barrel projects? How much foreign aid to countries that could care less about the USA? I say that there is $$ out there. How about a "Save the USS OLYMPIA" school campaign where every student in the US contributes a quarter to the fund? That much money would go a long way in helping to preserve the old ship. There are so many possibilitites.
      And, why does the Olympia need to be kept in the water? A permanent drydock such as was done with HMS VICTORY in Portsmouth, England would be just as appropriate and with an all weather canopy overhead could negate the need for so much upkeep in the future. Just a few thoughts...
      ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
      IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by jose50 View Post
        What a sad, ignoble end to a once proud ship. How much $$ does the government spend per day in Iraq, Afghanistan, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Guam, and all the myriad outposts and far flung duty stations of our armed services? How much $$ could be saved by keeping say...three supercarriers in port a day or two longer? Or, to move away from the military, how much government $$ is wasted on Congress' pork barrel projects? How much foreign aid to countries that could care less about the USA? I say that there is $$ out there. How about a "Save the USS OLYMPIA" school campaign where every student in the US contributes a quarter to the fund? That much money would go a long way in helping to preserve the old ship. There are so many possibilitites.
        And, why does the Olympia need to be kept in the water? A permanent drydock such as was done with HMS VICTORY in Portsmouth, England would be just as appropriate and with an all weather canopy overhead could negate the need for so much upkeep in the future. Just a few thoughts...
        That was the basic way that "Old Ironsides" was saved. One cent for every gallon of gas sold. How many gallons are sold in a month in the US? Many ways are open.
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

hey, how about trying to get some media attention for it? get everyone on the forums who cares to send CNN CNBC or any other major news channels. i've got a few extra people who i can call on for a couple extra emails.

knowing is half the battle right? let people know, get some people to raise money that way.
          the answer is on the floor- john roseberry

A tiger dies and leaves his fur,
          A man dies and leaves his name,
          A teacher dies and teaches death.
          Seikchi Toguchi 1917-1998

Comment

Media blitz !!
            IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Why doesn't Congress simply require one of our defense contractors to pay for upkeep as a condition of selling systems to the DOD? The contractor would most certainly pass the cost back to the government by raising prices of hammers from $600 to $650, but still.

Comment

You would think that this unique piece of history would certainly have more importance. But it all comes down to money as always. Robert
                For the first time I have seen "History" at close quarters,and I know that its actual process is very different from what is presented to Posterity. - WWI General Max Hoffman

Comment

Originally posted by JCFalkenbergIII View Post
                  You would think that this unique piece of history would certainly have more importance. But it all comes down to money as always. Robert
                  like i said, email the media. i'm sure a station would notice, if all of a sudden the received 100+ emails about it on the same day, and every day till they did a story on it.

email congressmen and what not too, if we don't tell them what we want, they can't give it to us.
                  the answer is on the floor- john roseberry

A tiger dies and leaves his fur,
                  A man dies and leaves his name,
                  A teacher dies and teaches death.
                  Seikchi Toguchi 1917-1998

Comment

If you do a Google News search this article is not even mentioned or any others . Robert

Comment

If the city of Filthadelphia (the land of the living dead) will not help with the up-keep, then they don't deserve to have it.

How about Patriot's Point, or San Jacinto Park? If it could git into the Welland Canal, there is an ambitious little park in Buffalo New York that might be interested.

No, not a reef, you can't do that to the last survivor. I would advocate selling it to China before I would let that happen.
                      And print up about a million Bumperstickers with a silhouette of that ship the reads "Pennsylvania Sux!"

Comment

I emailed Channel 4 in Boston about it...
                        IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

A steel ship of that age, if exposed to salt water, has probably suffered extensive corrosion damage to the hull if not kept scraped and painted. Ships kept in fresh water are in much better condition.

Locally, a lake freighter, the steam powered E.M. Ford, also over 100 years old, was scrapped when it was no longer needed as a cement storage warehouse due to the Michigan economy. Unlike surplus navy ships, the Ford has all of its original equipment in perfect working condition. The same crappy economy kept historical preservationist from being able to obtain the funds to preserve the ship as a museum piece.

The SS Badger, a steam powered railroad and car ferry from the 50s, still operates on Lake Michigan. http://www.ssbadger.com/home.aspx

Photo from Bing Live Search.

Last edited by SRV Ron; 13 Jul 17, 05:51.
                          “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Here is some info about her from a site dedicated to her.

"Olympia now risks sinking at the dock and being forever lost. Her hull is severely corroded, compounded by weather leakage through her rotted exterior deck.  She has not been hauled since 1945 and currently has 62 patched holes below the waterline and two compartments that are flooded and tidal. "

http://www.fotco.org/

Comment

You can see a birds eye view on Bing Live Search of Olympia tied up next to a submarine and sailing ship. Across the river is the battleship New Jersey.

All those old decommission ships need to be kept maintained or they will eventually sink into the mud as a result of saltwater corrosion and deterioration of their decks.

Also found the luxury liner SS United States rusting away in a slip minus all the lifeboats and much of her deck fittings. http://planphilly.com/node/8106

So many historic ships, so little money to preserve them, so many rusting away and destined for the scrap heaps in India or to be sunk offshore.
                              Last edited by SRV Ron; 05 Jun 10, 06:59.
                              “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X