Floating museum/camp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floating museum/camp?

so, something i was thinking about just now.

imagine combining a floating museum ship and combine that with a space camp, and think of how cool that would be.

i did a few years of space camp, and we spent 4 days during the week training for our 'mission' in simulators, and doing experiments and what not. now think about using something like an old fletcher class DD like that. a group would spend a week or so on the ship the first day or two would be 'training' the campers, would see their targets and what not on video screens like a simulators, so during 'training' you would shoot at towed targets in a bay, and the guns themselves would fire blanks. then after 'training' the ship would steam about for a few more days running the campers through drills, and put campers through difficulties such as boiler malfunctions and then one day they'd have an actual 'battle' to fight, and then they'd return to port and have a graduation ceremony.

so how do you guys like that idea?
    the answer is on the floor- john roseberry

A tiger dies and leaves his fur,
    A man dies and leaves his name,
    A teacher dies and teaches death.
    Seikchi Toguchi 1917-1998

Patriots Point Naval Museum has a camp program. http://www.patriotspoint.org/
    Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
      Patriots Point Naval Museum has a camp program. http://www.patriotspoint.org/
      As does the USS Lexington museum... LINK
      Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

the lexington thing looks cool, but it's a two day thing that from the schedule doesn't seem to give any real impression of what it would have been like to operate the ship.

i was thinking something a bit more adult oriented, like every morning at 0500(?) when GQ was called to keep an eye out for periscopes in the early morning light, and what not. the lexington thing does look like it would have been fun as a kid though.
        Last edited by General_Jacke; 17 May 10, 13:03.
        the answer is on the floor- john roseberry

A tiger dies and leaves his fur,
        A man dies and leaves his name,
        A teacher dies and teaches death.
        Seikchi Toguchi 1917-1998

Comment

USS Midway does also; it's a got an overnight bunk system etc. Pretty cool.

Comment

I may be wrong but I think that the USS INTREPID museum has some sort of program as well.
            ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
            IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X