Do you know????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you know????

After Pearl Harbor what date did the USN lose the most ships in a single day?

I found something on the net today that I have never heard of and is really a surprise to me.

The event did not take place during WWI or WWII.

Anybody know or have an idea?
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post

I found something on the net today that I have never heard of and is really a surprise to me.

Bikini Atoll... Can't recall the date.
    Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

The ships in question were fully manned and at sea.

Comment

I would assume the Civil War but only as an uneducated guess.
        Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Are we talking about battle losses? Lake Champlain perhaps?
          Last edited by GCoyote; 27 Apr 10, 12:49. Reason: Horrible syntax
          Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

I believe that you are referring to the Honda Point disaster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Point_Disaster

Ships involved

The lost ships were:

USS Delphy (DD-261) was the flagship in the column. She ran aground on the shore at 20 knots (37 km/h). After running aground, she sounded her siren. The siren alerted some of the later ships in the column, helping them avoid the tragedy. Three men died. There was one civilian aboard Delphy. Eugene Dooman, a Japan expert with the State Department, was aboard as a guest of Captain Watson; they had first met in Japan.
            USS S. P. Lee (DD-310) was following a few hundred yards behind. She saw Delphy suddenly stop, and turned to port (left) in response. She ran into the coast.
            USS Young (DD-312) made no move to turn. She tore her hull open on submerged rocks. The water rushed in, and capsized her onto her starboard (right) side within minutes. Twenty men died.
            USS Woodbury (DD-309) turned to starboard, but ran into an offshore rock.
            USS Nicholas (DD-311) turned to port and also hit a rocky outcropping.
            USS Fuller (DD-297) piled up next to Woodbury.
            USS Chauncey (DD-296) made an attempt to rescue sailors atop the capsized Young. She ran aground nearby.
            Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
            Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

bassman nailed it. And then we say woman can't drive.

I'm surprised that this has all but been hinden from history.

Comment

Well it isn't very glorious for the USN and there is no enemy to celebrate a victory over the US here either. A serious but simple error.
                Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Very interesting.I've never heard of this before.Thanks for posting.
                  ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

That's a beautiful area of California; Honda Point is actually part of Vandenberg AFB IIRC. Point Conception is just south of it and has a beautiful light house there. IIRC also, the info at that house mentioned the Honda Point disaster. It's not like an Eastern seaboard light house but since it's on the edge of a cliff, it doesn't need to be too tall. I've been there and to Point Reyes north of San Francisco and the weather at both spots can be really nasty. Foggy, windy, just nasty. But when it's sunny out and reasonably clear, it can be just amazing too.
                    If you're there at night or even at dusk, you can see why those DDs grounded in the '20s. Nice stiff breeze and a tight corner, no sea room. I've been at sea there under sail and power also and you really want to get "inside" of that corner before dark if you can. Otherwise, even with modern nav aids, you really want to pay attention to what's going on, especially if it's gusting.
                    Those lighthouses are interesting too; sort of like fortresses of solitude, they're off in the boonies. Climbing down to the Point Reyes lighthouse, you had to go a hell of a long way off the beaten track. Both of those locations were remote in the old days. You were stuck in the boonies with not much to do and little comms. I think the only crappier duty stations might've been the Farallon Island or Anacapa Island; don't envy those lighthouse keepers. It was a lonely existence.
                    Last edited by boomer400; 28 Apr 10, 00:23.

Comment

Its not. There were at least three books written on it. Still in the library last time I checked. Magazine articals appear occasionally. It is often worked into lectures in USN schools in various ways. "Check your navigation kids". Its been mentioned in one of those military history TV shows that I recall.
                      Last edited by Carl Schwamberg; 05 May 10, 19:45.

Comment

So depending on how you understood the word "after" would determine the answer. If you meant "after" as time wise the previous answer of Bikini Atoll Nuclear test in 1946 would be correct. If you meant "after" as in numerical order the the Honda Point would be the answer.

Just a polite morning jab
                        Last edited by FTCS; 06 May 10, 08:31.
                        Too Much To Do Too Little Time

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X