And now its the turn of the tin cans!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And now its the turn of the tin cans!

Let's hear it for the USS Farragut, booyah!!!

The USS Farragut, a guided missile destroyer passes the skiff it destroyed after pirates tried to attack a Sierra Leone-flagged tanker .

New photos released Friday show what the U.S. Navy says is the aftermath of suspected pirates attacking a Sierra Leone-flagged tanker this week in the Somali Basin.

The confrontation between the MV Evita and two suspected pirate skiffs was disrupted by the U.S. Navy destroyer, USS Farragut, according to the U.S Navy. The suspected bandits’ “mother skiff” was destroyed and sunk
    Last edited by Bass_Man86; 02 Apr 10, 13:48.
    Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
    Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Plus She is much prettier to look at.

Thanks.

Comment

Keep it up
      Life is change. Built models for decades.
      Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
      I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Yes!!!!!!
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

fantastic work navy, beat army.....er, hang on, this isnt football is it, ....!!!!!!!!!!

great work none the less....

Comment

That's a beautiful thing.But there is still one problem.Why disarm the pirates and then sink the skiff.It would be much more efficient to fire one 5in shell at the skiff,which would automatically disarm the pirates.And it may even remove the arms(and legs) of the pirates.

Regardless,send them all to the bottom.Let Davey Jones be their judge.Let the sharks be their jailors.
            ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
              That's a beautiful thing.But there is still one problem.Why disarm the pirates and then sink the skiff.It would be much more efficient to fire one 5in shell at the skiff,which would automatically disarm the pirates.And it may even remove the arms(and legs) of the pirates.

Regardless,send them all to the bottom.Let Davey Jones be their judge.Let the sharks be their jailors.
              Couldn't agree more. You want to mess with the bull you better expect to get the horns every now and then. Nice job Navy!!!
              Bill

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy"

Billy Currington

Comment

I like like that. Disarm and disleg them.
                "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
                George Mason
                Co-author of the Second Amendment
                during Virginia’s Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

Comment

McFaul Crew Captures Suspected Pirates, Rescues Crew

BZ McFaul!!!

MANAMA, Bahrain, April 7, 2010 – The crew of the guided-missile destroyer USS McFaul captured 10 suspected pirates and rescued eight crewmembers from the Indian cargo dhow Faize Osamani near Salalah, Oman, April 5 after a dhow and three skiffs attempted to attack the Motor Vessel Rising Sun the same day.
                  http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=58638
                  Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Comment

Great job McFaul.That's three incidents with US naval vessels in a short period of time.Either it's good luck on our part,or we've changed our tactics with regards to intelligence.

I'd rather hear that the pirates were dead,but I'll take what I can get.
                    ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

Comment

Great job McFaul.That's three incidents with US naval vessels in a short period of time.Either it's good luck on our part,or we've changed our tactics with regards to intelligence.

I'd rather hear that the pirates were dead,but I'll take what I can get.
                      All I can say Jim is that the Navy does not make the rules of egagement, those are made by the folks in DC.
                      Last edited by Bass_Man86; 08 Apr 10, 07:34.

Comment

Mario,what's your take on these recent engagements between our Navy and the pirates?Good luck?Or improved intel?A little of both?
                        ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

Comment

Not to speak for the Chief, but it is a bit more than just the US Navy...
                          Originally posted by Combined Maritime Forces Public Affairs
                          FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
                          Release #024-10
                          Coalition Efforts Forcing Piracy Farther From Home Waters

MANAMA, Bahrain - Recent attacks have shown that Coalition efforts in the Somali Basin and Gulf of Aden are forcing would-be pirates farther out to sea and farther from their home waters, revealing their desperation to find easier commercial targets. The combined efforts of the Combined Maritime Forces (CMF), European Union (EU), and NATO, along with greater use of “best management practices” within the commercial shipping industry, are having the intended effect, as witnessed by several unsuccessful piracy attempts this past week.

Late March to early April typically marks the beginning of a surge in pirate activity for the months of April and May due to the calming seas off the east coast of Africa, and this year has not been any different. Over the last week there have been 12 unsuccessful attacks and three successful attacks carried out by pirate action groups (a mother ship and associated attack skiffs) across an area of ocean nearly the size of the continent of Australia. These groups of pirates have attacked merchant vessels as far away from Somalia as the eastern coast of Oman and the southern coast of Tanzania.

Two of these recent attacks show just how much danger these pirates are willing to place themselves in for the chance of coming across an unprepared or unsuspecting commercial vessel.

The first of these occurred when the Flagship of Combined Task Force (CTF) 151, USS Farragut (DDG 99), intercepted suspected pirates in the Somali Basin on March 31. The Sierra Leone-flagged tanker M/V Evita came under attack 500 km north-west of the Seychelles by three suspected pirate skiffs. During the attack, the pirates fired rifles and aimed rocket propelled grenades at the vessel in an attempt to force it to stop. The M/V Evita was able to evade capture by following industry recommended ‘best management practices’; increasing its speed, firing flares at the pirates to warn them off and contacting both the International Maritime Bureau (IMB) based in Kuala Lumpurand the UK Maritime Trade Organisation (UKMTO) office in Dubai.

As a result of M/V Evita following these best management practices guidelines, enough time was allowed for the coalition to come to their aid. A Swedish Maritime Patrol Aircraft (MPRA) from EUNAVFOR was able to make contact with the M/V Evita and subsequently locate the suspected pirate skiffs. An SH-60B Seahawk helicopter from Farragut was immediately dispatched to monitor the pirates while a boarding team from USS Farragut successfully boarded the pirate skiffs. After ensuring the suspected pirates had no means to conduct any more attacks, all 11 were released on the two small skiffs, while the mother skiff was destroyed, ending that vessel’s ability to engage in any other illegal activity.

The second event that reveals the careless nature of the pirates occurred on April 1, when a group made a late night attempt on a United States Navy frigate. USS Nicholas (FFG 47) currently supporting Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Africa/Commander, Sixth Fleet was operating in international waters west of the Seychelles, when they reported coming under fire from a suspected pirate skiff at 12:27 a.m. local time. Crew members aboard Nicholas returned fire and quickly began a pursuit of the attacking vessel until the skiff was stopped and subsequently boarded. In addition to the drums of fuel and ammunition, three pirates were captured on this small skiff. An additional two suspected pirates were subsequently captured on a nearby mother ship that had been supporting the attack skiff.

The pirates involved in these and other recent attacks are emboldened by the lucrative payouts from recent ransom payments. Every day, more young Somali men are taking the risk of life at sea as a pirate. The idea of gettingtheir share of a ransom payment also leads them to become more desperate to achieve the goal of capturing a merchant vessel to bring back to the pirate anchorages off the coast of Somalia to await further ransom payments. It’s the same desperation that now leads to numerous pirate action groups spread out all over the Arabian Sea. Now, more than ever, it is crucial that all vessels plying these waters understand that the adoption of best management practices is vital for them to be able to protect themselves.

The message about adopting best management practice is getting through thanks to the co-ordinated work of bodies such as the UK Maritime Trade Organisation and International Maritime Bureau, resulting in the success of piracy attempts reducing, despite the number of actual attacks increasing. More vessels are keeping within the International Recommended Transit Corridor and proving that best management practices work. The coordinated multinational effort, comprised of vessels from CMF, EU, NATO and several independent nations, is having a positive effect. However, merchant vessels cannot rely solely on military presence; masters and crews must remain vigilant and adhere to best management practices while transiting this dangerous region.

None of the merchant vessels currently held for ransom followed the industry recommended best management practices.

For further information contact the Combined Maritime Forces Public Affairs Office on 011-973-1785-9981 or via email at [email protected]
                          USS McFaul took the dhow, but it did not actually rescue the hostage crew. 9 of them jumped off their captive vessel to escape their captors as the 1st on the scene, Omani warship Al Sharquiyahas, approached. The Omani vessel rescued 8 of them alive, the 9th having drowned, though was recovered, as USS McFaul forced the issue upon the pirated Indian cargo dhow Faize Osamani which had been used as a Pirate Mothership earlier in a failed attempt to take the M/V Rising Sun. It was that vessel which had put out the call for help as they successfully avoided capture by exercising the aforementioned industry recommended "Best Management Practices" as both warships made hast to their aide.

The Coalition & other forces in the danger zones are far more inclined to cooperate & communicate in the effort than in the past, but it is as much likely that the increased individual actions of the assorted vessels & their crews conduct of their vessels - such as: increasing speed, while maneuvering erratically as such things as fire hoses & flare guns are brought to bear - may well be the most significant thing that has changed lately. None of this, by any means, suggests that naval forces have not stepped up to the plate with more cooperative means, though - they certainly have.

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral View Post
                            Not to speak for the Chief, but it is a bit more than just the US Navy...

Thanks!
                            ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

Comment

Mario,what's your take on these recent engagements between our Navy and the pirates?Good luck?Or improved intel?A little of both?

Aside from echoing what Wes stated, that it's not just our folks, and to piggy back on what he posted, I would have to say that a few factors are involved. Certainly naval forces have been pro-active in dealing with these pirates; pirates are to the U.S. Navy what kidnappers are to the FBI, and those sentiments are pretty well shared by the other world's Navies. This can also indicate a ramping up of activity on the part of the pirates; they are certainly venturing further afield lately. Of note is that the Navy's policy when it comes to these vermin is to release them to countries that are willing to prosecute, but as I have yet to see any of these pirates brought to trial much less being sent to jail, I will have to reserve judgment on that policy. I can understand why the Omanis deferred to the McFaul for dealing with the pirates as most of their vessels are missile equipped corvettes with 76 mm gun mounts. McFaul is a good deal larger and carries more weapons, so the intimidation factor is exponentially greater. One thing that I want to emphasize is the fact that this piracy interdiction mission is like searching for a needle in the proverbial haystack; unless these shipping lines get serious about opposing pirate attacks vigorously and stop paying these ransoms, piracy will not stop anytime soon.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X