The Rise and Fall of a Female Captain Bligh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rise and Fall of a Female Captain Bligh

As a follow up to a previous tread. I was on the USS Curtis Wilbur, where she was XO, from 1998 to Jan. 2001; when I left I thought that I was being released from jail. The athmosphere that she created lingered well after she left.

By MARK THOMPSON / WASHINGTON Mark Thompson / Washington Thu Mar 4, 7:10 am ET

Women are so common in the upper ranks of the U.S. military these days that it's no longer news when they break through another barrier. Unfortunately, the latest benchmark isn't one to brag about: being booted as captain of a billion-dollar warship for "cruelty and maltreatment" of her 400-member crew. According to the Navy Inspector General's report that triggered her removal - and the accounts of officers who served with her - Captain Holly Graf was the closest thing the U.S. Navy has to a female Capt. Bligh.

A Navy admiral stripped Graf of her command of the Japan-based guided missile cruiser U.S.S. Cowpens in January. The just-released IG report concludes that Graf "repeatedly verbally abused her crew and committed assault," and accuses her of using her position as commander of the Cowpens "for personal gain." But old Navy hands tell TIME that those charges, substantiated in the IG report, came about because of the poisonous atmosphere she created aboard her ship.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/2010030...08599196960200
    Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
    Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

..had a 'Cap'n Bligh' on my boat, too, toward the end. He was a LCDR moved up just prior to decomm. What an ass...
    ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
    IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

It's a psychosis of many females in military and naval leadership positions today. It's called penis envy. NIGYYSOB- Now I Got You, You Son Of a Bitch.

However, I can remember them falling out of runs and then crying back when they were plebes. Laying there on the road with their M-14 rifles scattered about. Please help me sir! It hurts!

Off course then we had to stop running with the M-14 rifles. Next up were the M-16 rifles. Again too heavy. Then we had to stop running in boots to please them. You see the boots are too heavy too! Then they could hang on the bar for time instead of doing real pull-ups, etc, yadda-yadda-yadda. And now they are flag rank. I still laugh

Comment

Acutally running in boots is a killer in the long run. Cuts down the longevity of the body.

What I find interesting is that a good part of new article focuses on her using the F word. Granted it looks lke she was using it in ways bad for a leader but seems there a morality police involved with the reporter.

I am glad I never met this person she sounds like no fun to be around.

Comment

Originally posted by craven View Post
          Acutally running in boots is a killer in the long run. Cuts down the longevity of the body...
          Running in my New Balance shoes is cutting down on my knees. It's called age. But I am not ready lay down on the road and cry

Well the F-word is gone now because of all this PC crap brought in with the women. Ironic how it catches her.

Comment

Originally posted by Alatriste View Post
            Running in my New Balance shoes is cutting down on my knees. It's called age. But I am not ready lay down on the road and cry

Well the F-word is gone now because of all this PC crap brought in with the women. Ironic how it catches her.
            LOL true running overall is not good for the knees but every bit of extra cushion they get helps. fyi try to make sure you can run on grass or dirt if your not running on a track.

Comment

Long distance running in the military is totally senseless unless you are training for a retreat.

Female officers are no better or worse than males, despite all the ranting about them. Male officers suffer from "penis envy" in an even worse fashion - the "mine is bigger than yours" syndrome, and from a morbid preoccupation with females under their command - the "can't keep it in my pants" problem. Also known as Clinton Syndrome or Commander-in-Chief's Disease.
              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Long distance running in the military is totally senseless unless you are training for a retreat.
                Agreed. However, I don't think that was ever the point of running with boots and rifles. The point was to weed out those that were the cry babies. Same with the log drills. Seems that these disappeared at the same time the ladies starting bitching about it to people like Pat Schroeder.

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Female officers are no better or worse than males, despite all the ranting about them. Male officers suffer from "penis envy" in an even worse fashion - the "mine is bigger than yours" syndrome, and from a morbid preoccupation with females under their command - the "can't keep it in my pants" problem. Also known as Clinton Syndrome or Commander-in-Chief's Disease.
                I disagree. I haven't served with a good female officer yet. They were not allowed in my line due to branch, but the ones in lateral functions were awful, and I continue to hear the same today. I do agree with the later part about the morbid pre-occupation from their male commanders and the women take full advantage of it.
                Last edited by Alatriste; 04 Mar 10, 14:31.

Comment

I know its drifting away from the main thrust of the thread but....

USS Cowpens? Are you serious? Is there a USS Pigsty too?

Comment

It's from the Battle of Cowpens. Tareleton's British Legion versus elements of the Southern portion of the Continental Army. The fledgling US won, not really because we were brilliant, but because the British commander was arrogant and overrated. However, it was pretty decisive, and therefore rates a ship.
                    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

I have no opinion on the qualities of female officers in the US military, but I don't really like the bandwagonning you tend to see on stories like this. Unless someone can pull out some compelling data that females utterly fail at command, then it's just anecdotal bitching (no pun intended).

Assholes are assholes and assholery is found equally in any sex, creed, or color.

Now, the real question is how did someone like that even rise to command? Surely this behavior manifested itself in her past?

Comment

Because a$$'s are like cream - they rise to the top.
                        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by DingBat View Post
                          ...Now, the real question is how did someone like that even rise to command? Surely this behavior manifested itself in her past?
                          Because the US military has unofficial but special programs that will advance you in rank regardless of performance. These special programs are based on gender and race. Which makes it real hard to tell when someone of that gender or race got there on merit and actual performance, or not. It is actually unfair to those of said gender and race, and to me is one of the worst forms of discrimination. This is what enlightened Liberalism and affirmative action has done to the US military. Just wait till gays can serve openly. We ain't seen nothing yet.

Comment

Captain Bligh was not the tyrant that the film made him out to be. The Admiralty found him guilty of no inpropriaty and showed confidence in him as his subsequent career attested

Comment

Originally posted by Miss Saigon View Post
                              Captain Bligh was not the tyrant that the film made him out to be. The Admiralty found him guilty of no inpropriaty and showed confidence in him as his subsequent career attested
                              You are correct. In fact he was touted as a hero, especially for his seamanship. It wasn't until years later that he got the bad reputation and I believe this was due to some personal politics from an antagonist. Good post.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X