Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navy/Marines running out of jets

Marine Aviation has no Other Option but Wait for JSF
    The U.S. Navy and Marine Corps are running out of fighters. Heavy wear and tear over nearly a decade of war in Iraq and Afghanistan has depleted the two services’ combined fighter force. Purchases of new planes have been delayed by controversial planning decisions. As a result, U.S. maritime forces operate at elevated risk. Robotic systems could help mitigate this risk, but the Navy has resisted adopting pilot-less aircraft.

http://www.defense-update.com/featur...2010.html#more
    For the first time I have seen "History" at close quarters,and I know that its actual process is very different from what is presented to Posterity. - WWI General Max Hoffman

Start up the production lines of older aircraft that can still perform over a battlefield that has no air opposition. This would give the F-22 and F-35 some breathing space to work on some bugs in the system. My favorites would be ones like the A-7, and A-6. You know unstealthy bomb sleds.

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Unstealthy, but I always thought the A-6 was a bit sexy, in its own way.

And that would set up the A-6 and EA-6B Prowler, both of which are platforms we still need.
      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Any chance that there ar serviceable a/c at AMARC which can help fill the gap for a few more years?

Comment

Originally posted by kuma View Post
          Any chance that there ar serviceable a/c at AMARC which can help fill the gap for a few more years?
          Here is a list of the inventory at AMARC
          Take your pick. Lots to choose from.
          http://www.amarcexperience.com/AMARCDBAircraftTypes.asp

Whilst getting an aircraft and enough spares might not present a problem, I imagine that training personnel to do the servicing of older aircraft may be a problem, as they would no longer have the manufacturer training available.
          Last edited by At ease; 02 Mar 10, 06:01.
          "It's like shooting rats in a barrel."
          "You'll be in a barrel if you don't watch out for the fighters!"

"Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease."
          — Sergei(son of Igor) Sikorsky, 'AOPA Pilot' magazine February 2003.

Comment

Originally posted by JCFalkenbergIII View Post
            Marine Aviation has no Other Option but Wait for JSF
            The U.S. Navy and Marine Corps are running out of fighters. Heavy wear and tear over nearly a decade of war in Iraq and Afghanistan has depleted the two services’ combined fighter force. Purchases of new planes have been delayed by controversial planning decisions. As a result, U.S. maritime forces operate at elevated risk. Robotic systems could help mitigate this risk, but the Navy has resisted adopting pilot-less aircraft.

http://www.defense-update.com/featur...2010.html#more
            Yes, they will keep trying to land the damned things on the sea!!
            'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
            " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Looking at the AMARC site just on the first few pages it looks like quite a few of the A-7s are no longer there . Robert
              For the first time I have seen "History" at close quarters,and I know that its actual process is very different from what is presented to Posterity. - WWI General Max Hoffman

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                Start up the production lines of older aircraft that can still perform over a battlefield that has no air opposition. This would give the F-22 and F-35 some breathing space to work on some bugs in the system. My favorites would be ones like the A-7, and A-6. You know unstealthy bomb sleds.

Pruitt
                Do you realize how impossible restarting the production of anything that hasn't been produced in over 40 years is?
                Кто там?
                Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
                Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

Comment

My god they still have A-26s, C-47s, F-86s and F-84s stored there. Wasn't expecting that.
                  "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

Originally posted by Stryker 19K30 View Post
                    Do you realize how impossible restarting the production of anything that hasn't been produced in over 40 years is?

On another site someone suggested bringing back the IL-2/10 Sturmovik. Robert
                    Last edited by JCFalkenbergIII; 03 Mar 10, 00:49.

Comment

Originally posted by frisco17 View Post
                      My god they still have A-26s, C-47s, F-86s and F-84s stored there. Wasn't expecting that.
                      Back in the 70s when my AFJROTC unit went to the Boneyard I was amazed to see what was still there too. Robert
                      Last edited by JCFalkenbergIII; 03 Mar 10, 10:31.

Comment

After just a quick overview of what's at AMARC:

Jesus! They still have B-36s, like half a squadron's worth!

What's there that could be used by the Navy/MC without an absolutely insane level of retraining back DOWN a few generations of aircraft ops.

6 A-4 Skyhawks
                        6 F-14 Tomcats
                        10 F-111s
                        4 AV-8 Harriers
                        2 F/A-18As
                        ~20 F-4s
                        ~10 A-7 Corsairs

The Harriers and Hornets could go to existing squadrons to replace losses.

The Corsairs and F-111s could go to the Marines for Ground Attack, 1 Squadron of Each.

The F-4s all together would probably make a single squadron. I'd give those to the Marines as well, as their age might not hold up well on carrier ops.

The F-14s should still be carrier capable, and the A-4s might very well be. Both would make good attack platforms for the Navy, freeing up its now valuable F-18s for other missions.

Comment

Oh, and I missed the half squad of A-1s. We need those anyway, like right now, for counterinsurgency ops.

Comment

Stryker,

Yes I do. The point is it might be cheaper and easier than producing F-22 and F-35 aircraft that are over designed for use in Iraq and Afghanistan. We need cheaper and easier. The Navy is getting way too complicated on carrier aircraft. We also need numbers over quality.

Upgrading the electronic suite on the A-6 is the main problem in making more. I think the old system was designed in the early 60's. We are many generations beyond that now.

Pruitt
                            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

The A-4 is especially suited for carrier use. The small size and wide variety of capabilities make it an ideal short-range, all purpose attack aircraft. Add to that the rugged dependability of the airframe and power plant and you have something that probably should be resurrected from the boneyards of the southwest. As to qualified personnel to work on them...well, there are a LOT of airedale retirees/laid off factory workers who would probably love a new challenge.
                              ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                              IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X