Battleship Yamato

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battleship Yamato

i remember reading once[requem for yamato,i believe] that this ship was equipped with rounds for the main batteries that essentially,were giant shotgun shells,meant of course for knocking out large groups of aircraft.i thought this was quite a slick idea,though i've never heard how effective it was.did any other navies besides the japanese have,or use the types of shells?
    i yam what i yam and thats what i yam!

Not sure about naval guns, but there 105mm and 155mm artillery rounds called BeeHive rounds. Also the Abrahms now has a 120mm canister round that has over 10,000 steel balls...:thumb:

Comment

now thats some devastation!!!

Comment

18 inch shotgun sheels

Terry, your quite right. The Japanese navy did develop a type of giant 18 inch shot gun shell for the Yamato class. But they proved quite unworkable in combat because of the velocities and direction of the various targets and the fuzing required. Basically the Japanese had failed to developed the necessary proximity fuzes which might have made the project viable. On the surface it looked grand but like so other things in war, the practicle application failed.

Comment

Re: 18 inch shotgun sheels

Originally posted by Churchill
          Terry, your quite right. The Japanese navy did develop a type of giant 18 inch shot gun shell for the Yamato class. But they proved quite unworkable in combat because of the velocities and direction of the various targets and the fuzing required. Basically the Japanese had failed to developed the necessary proximity fuzes which might have made the project viable. On the surface it looked grand but like so other things in war, the practicle application failed.
          Iteresting. However, I guess that its too late to try and develop them now, since there are hardly any more battleships.

Comment

Long live the U.S.S. Wisconsin!!!:thumb:

Comment

One of the theories of the loss of the Mutsu was that it had been
              test firing those 'anti-aircraft rounds. The basic premise is that
              they had not used flash protectors when test firing the main
              gun. The mains fouled on the round and the breech went
              flying thru the magazines.

That would sink any ship.

Comment

Mutsu

The Mutsu blew up while at dock.
                It is widely accepted that she suffered a magazine fire that lead to a magazine explosion.
                Shooting "beehive" rounds would not have played any part in such occurance. Besides, you do not uncork your main battery while tied up at dockside!
                Regards, Gregg
                :nonono: :nonono:

Comment

yamato

has anyone found this ship? it is one of the most awe inspiring ships to set sail. perhaps its to deep?

Comment

Whadaya wanna know bout Yamato, Musashi & Shinano?

I'm considering building a 100 or 72 scale IJN Yamato (RC)

I've managed to find about the closest thing to specs in the form of a book by Janusz Skulski. The Battleship Yamato - Anatomy of the Ship It's all in metrics for the Muricans here. His research yielded up some highly detailed elements of the ships - previously lost to the destruction of their plans & drawings before the Japanese surrender. Old men have since talked freely of it, after holding their tongues for decades.

The design progressions, testing & construction of the class was a very interesting venture. A secretive one as well.

Had IJN Shinano been complete, or at the very least in a condition to go to sea when she was torpedoed - compartments secured - she would have been the first "super carrier".

IJN Musashi

IJN Yamato & IJN Musashi at Truk

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

i still say she's the most beutifull ship to sail.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that Robert Ballard found her. I'll find out.
                        Minister Of Propaganda For Sinister Inc.

"Look! The enemy is inviting us to defeat them! We must oblige them!"

Comment

The Japanese have already done a complete survey of Yamato

Its very much a good part of the book I mentioned.

Admiral
                          On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

There was a doc feature about the Yamato sometime ago. Underwater shots and all. They found it already.
                            I hate it when I see one of those road signs that says "Draw Bridge Ahead" and I don't have a pencil.
                            -Lou Chiafullo

Comment

The Japanese never lost it.

They knew her position when she was lost.

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X