USS Bonhomme Richard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USS Bonhomme Richard

It appears the USN is going to be short an amphibious assault ship for awhile. The fire has been burning for more than a day.

The impression I get from reading other articles, is the ship could be a write off.
    "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
    Ernest Hemingway.

Sapere aude.

Comment

Also, the navy just spent $250 million and two years maintenance...
      Ernest Hemingway.

Sapere aude.

Comment

Forward mast has collapsed.

1000w_q95.jpg
        Ernest Hemingway.

Sapere aude.

Comment

surely this ship is a write off..? 1 of only 9 remaining i hear....a big loss.

Are the US currently building any LHDs at the moment...they may need to order an additional hull if thats the case..?

Comment

You can see the scorched marks along the hull left from the fire, appears that most of the superstructure has been damaged... serious structural failure where the forward mast was.

Ernest Hemingway.

Sapere aude.

Comment

Some update in regards to the ship.

“There is fire and water damage, to varying degrees, on 11 of 14 decks,” Gilday wrote. “With the flight deck as a reference, I walked sections of the ship 5 levels below and had the opportunity to examine the superstructure.

“The island is nearly gutted, as are sections of some of the decks below; some perhaps, nearly encompassing the 844 ft length and 106 ft beam of the ship ([Naval Sea System Command’s] detailed assessment is ongoing). Sections of the flight deck are warped/bulging.”
              https://www.defensenews.com/naval/20...JcWDLqaE1oTWxQ
              Ernest Hemingway.

Sapere aude.

Comment

It sounds like it's a write-off, but what do I know...

Comment

I agree. Sounds like we're just going to be short a jeep carrier.....period.
                  Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

It’s salvageable, but it’s age and tight port schedules for the rest of the navy will dictate the outcome I feel.
                    Personally I’d be interested to invest it as a one off light carrier in order to become a operational test bed for emerging technologies in UAVs and remote helicopters... the US navy has at least 50 years of experience in the later.
                    Ernest Hemingway.

Sapere aude.

Comment

It would be more useful than the Zumwalts...not that that's saying much.

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
                        It’s salvageable, but it’s age and tight port schedules for the rest of the navy will dictate the outcome I feel.
                        Personally I’d be interested to invest it as a one off light carrier in order to become a operational test bed for emerging technologies in UAVs and remote helicopters... the US navy has at least 50 years of experience in the later.
                        This has some merit given the trend in UAV and F-35 sort of air resources. What is needed is a mid-point level vessel with flight deck that can provide air support = CAP, CAS, RECON, Troop lift, and other support to over the shore operations or other "Power Projection" in coastal and close-in waters where one might not want to risk the larger CVs ~ which could stand-off 100-200 miles off shore to support.

While multi-role vessels like LHDs have value and use in something of Marine Expedition use upon foreign shores; A middle-level combat flight deck vessel focused mostly on the local air support roles and needs would seem a desired asset and force multiplier. More modern tech with it's automation and advanced equipment reducing the size ship crew load makes such more competitive than in decades past. Also spares the need, use, and risk of the larger CVs when such are becoming few, at more danger of harm, and more expensive to operate.

This should lead to more of the flight deck and hanger features and a smaller and limited interior dock/deck component.

If BH's hull remains sound, then worth consideration of using as a base for something newer and more tailored to expected mid-21st century amphibious needs.
                        Last edited by G David Bock; 28 Jul 20, 19:24.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X