Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

where to put the LAWs when/if they're acquired?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where to put the LAWs when/if they're acquired?

https://news.usni.org/2020/06/08/mar..._yS30mHnnsZtSY

particularly in the pacific.
    they say they'll be permanently stationed overseas, in japan, and europe.

so for the ones in japan, should they be kept at okinawa or the mainland, or would it be better to work out a new deal for a shared base on one of the Senkaku Islands or other similar islands?
    would that be too provacative towards china?(but why should we care since they had no problem building bases on 'islands' with much more tenuous claims...)
    the answer is on the floor- john roseberry

A tiger dies and leaves his fur,
    A man dies and leaves his name,
    A teacher dies and teaches death.
    Seikchi Toguchi 1917-1998

i think it creates the perfect and proportional response to china's SCS activities.

a few JMSDF ships, maybe a few japanese cutters, and like 10-15 LAWs, and 10-20 F35s from the japanese air forces backed up by a few ASM shore batteries, and a modest aegis ashore installation.

Comment

I find this interesting. I was liking it a lot until I saw it was designed with a reduced crew. That means they are disposable. Second, they are designed to last ten years? Will they even build the class before they start having to retire them?

Pruitt
      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
        I find this interesting. I was liking it a lot until I saw it was designed with a reduced crew. That means they are disposable. Second, they are designed to last ten years? Will they even build the class before they start having to retire them?

Pruitt
        i don't recall the phrase reduced crew being used, but they are intended to be fairly small navy crews yes. my issue is the only self defense capability being a 25 or 30mm and some .50s
        i'd expect at least a phalanx as a missile hard kill measure i feel fairly certain they'll be outfitted with softkill counter measures (but they're not exciting so no one ever talks about them until they save a ship from a missile lol)

as for service life...it's the USN and US congress...intend them for 10 years and they'll serve 15.
        besides being small they might try to use more smaller shipyards to build them, to spread the love around, and hopefully inspire some expansion so one or more smaller yard might be able to handle something like an FFG to build up potential for surge construction capacity...but that seems like too much foresight for the USN or US congress
        Last edited by General_Jacke; 09 Jun 20, 15:46.

Comment

I said something about service life because I was reminded about how long the WW2 amphibious fleet existed after the war. There are probably still some around in places like the Philippines. Ten years seems just long enough to train some sailors to work the ships and get spare parts in the inventory. I do like idea of having large and "small" ships available.

Pruitt
          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
            I said something about service life because I was reminded about how long the WW2 amphibious fleet existed after the war. There are probably still some around in places like the Philippines. Ten years seems just long enough to train some sailors to work the ships and get spare parts in the inventory. I do like idea of having large and "small" ships available.

Pruitt
            i think they're looking at 10yr active service life, and then a 30 year reserve life lol.
            how many of those WW2 L series vessels were built with the intention to serve various navies for 70-80 years though? what were their actual intended service lives? most of the vessels still in service are likely almost completely rebuilt.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X