Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zumwalt almost ready, but for what?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Zumwalt almost ready, but for what?

    I’ve read Zumwalt is just in the final process of testing and activation, should be complete later this year. After nine years and $25 billion(?) what has the US navy got out of all this?
    "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
    Ernest Hemingway.

    Sapere aude.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
    I’ve read Zumwalt is just in the final process of testing and activation, should be complete later this year. After nine years and $25 billion(?) what has the US navy got out of all this?
    A vessel optimized to fight both the real or fake islands occupied by the PRC in South China Sea.
    Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

    Prayers.

    BoRG

    http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

    Comment


    • #3
      A white elephant.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Salinator View Post

        A vessel optimized to fight both the real or fake islands occupied by the PRC in South China Sea.
        that's going to be hard to do using ASMs and SAMs...
        the answer is on the floor- john roseberry

        A tiger dies and leaves his fur,
        A man dies and leaves his name,
        A teacher dies and teaches death.
        Seikchi Toguchi 1917-1998

        Comment


        • #5
          well the new combat systems equipment the put on the ship were intended to allow it to use ASMs to become a ship hunter...so i'd say thats the use for it
          the answer is on the floor- john roseberry

          A tiger dies and leaves his fur,
          A man dies and leaves his name,
          A teacher dies and teaches death.
          Seikchi Toguchi 1917-1998

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by General_Jacke View Post

            that's going to be hard to do using ASMs and SAMs...
            So you are privy to Chinese plans of not deploying armed submarines, surface vessels, and aircraft to defend their little outposts? Great, we can just ram their junks.

            Last edited by Salinator; 03 Jun 20, 14:36.
            Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

            Prayers.

            BoRG

            http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Salinator View Post

              So you are privy to Chinese plans of not deploying armed submarines, surface vessels, and aircraft to defend their little outposts? Great, we can just ram their junks.

              what are you talking about? the zumwalt has no ammo for it's guns, so no NGFS or bombardment, it had a whole new combat systems suit installed to allow the ship to function as a ship killer using ASMs which it didn't originally have the capability to do when first designed and launched. it might carry some TLAMs for shore bombardment, but with only 80 VLS it likely won't carry many.

              it's a ship killer with almost 0 capability in any other role
              the answer is on the floor- john roseberry

              A tiger dies and leaves his fur,
              A man dies and leaves his name,
              A teacher dies and teaches death.
              Seikchi Toguchi 1917-1998

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by General_Jacke View Post

                what are you talking about? the zumwalt has no ammo for it's guns, so no NGFS or bombardment, it had a whole new combat systems suit installed to allow the ship to function as a ship killer using ASMs which it didn't originally have the capability to do when first designed and launched. it might carry some TLAMs for shore bombardment, but with only 80 VLS it likely won't carry many.

                it's a ship killer with almost 0 capability in any other role
                There is nothing to bombard. The Chinese are squatting on thousands of tiny islands. Most of those islands are either tiny or just a man made reef with just enough room to put a flag and one soldier. What defends those outposts are mainly ships patrol the waters between these that bring daily provisions and rotate the soldier guarding the flag to prevent someone else from poaching on it. It there is room to stand, there is a Chinese soldier on it out in the South China Sea.

                Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

                Prayers.

                BoRG

                http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

                Comment


                • #9
                  If the navy wanted to salvage the AGS, a new ramjet artillery shell is in development and could see potentially all naval ships carrying these long range rounds.

                  https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...Okrvq7tYIh_dSs

                  It appears that the lack of funding to install the original radar setup and installing the Joint Universal Weapons Link has hit a hurdle no one wants to cross due to costs and time. The Multi-Function Radar (SPY-3) is untested, yet its been fitted out on the Ford carrier. Originally the Zumwalt was supposed to have the Dual Band Radar (DBR) which consists of the SPY-4 (S band) volume search radar and the SPY-3 (X band) horizon search radar. The SPY-4 was deleted from the Zumwalt design as a cost saving measure. As a result, the SPY-3 was to be reprogrammed to selectively perform volume search and/or its intended horizon search function.
                  So there seems to be possible lingering flaws in the SPY-3 that can't be rectified.

                  If that isn't enough to cause speculation, the US navy plans to remove their SPY-3 radar from the Self Defense Test Ship (SDTS) later this year. So any chance to iron out the flaws will soon be greatly hindered.

                  Last edited by Achtung Baby; 04 Jun 20, 03:35.
                  "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                  Ernest Hemingway.

                  Sapere aude.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Salinator View Post

                    There is nothing to bombard. The Chinese are squatting on thousands of tiny islands. Most of those islands are either tiny or just a man made reef with just enough room to put a flag and one soldier. What defends those outposts are mainly ships patrol the waters between these that bring daily provisions and rotate the soldier guarding the flag to prevent someone else from poaching on it. It there is room to stand, there is a Chinese soldier on it out in the South China Sea.

                    except you know for the islands that have entire airbases on them...but ya play stupid like anyone was talking about some rocks just barely above the water...not like they have any islands they're planting crops on to create economic exports to solidify their claims of island-hood and get an EEZ around them in the future...
                    the answer is on the floor- john roseberry

                    A tiger dies and leaves his fur,
                    A man dies and leaves his name,
                    A teacher dies and teaches death.
                    Seikchi Toguchi 1917-1998

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Salinator View Post

                      There is nothing to bombard. The Chinese are squatting on thousands of tiny islands. Most of those islands are either tiny or just a man made reef with just enough room to put a flag and one soldier. What defends those outposts are mainly ships patrol the waters between these that bring daily provisions and rotate the soldier guarding the flag to prevent someone else from poaching on it. It there is room to stand, there is a Chinese soldier on it out in the South China Sea.

                      The world wishes that's all that China had in the SCS.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by johns624 View Post

                        The world wishes that's all that China had in the SCS.
                        I did not say that was all China had. But the reality is that what is an actual base with naval and air facilities are a tiny faction of what they occupy. Each rock they have a man standing on an a flag planted extendes their claim for the entire South China Sea. China is leaps and bounds ahead of what they claim because unlike other nations, they see fit put even one guy standing on rock in the middle of an ocean just to ensure no one but them has a possession claim. Territorial rights are measured by the distance from rock, not how big the rock is, have a building, airship, or dock. Possession is nine tenths of the law so the saying goes. If one cannot see how pragmatic the the Chinese interpretation of international laws in comparison to Americans, we have already lost the war.
                        Last edited by Salinator; 05 Jun 20, 18:05.
                        Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

                        Prayers.

                        BoRG

                        http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Salinator View Post

                          I did not say that was all China had. But the reality is that what is an actual base with naval and air facilities are a tiny faction of what they occupy. Each rock they have a man standing on an a flag planted extendes their claim for the entire South China Sea. China is leaps and bounds ahead of what they claim because unlike other nations, they see fit put even one guy standing on rock in the middle of an ocean just to ensure no one but them has a possession claim. Territorial rights are measured by the distance from rock, now how big the rock is, have a building, airship, or dock. Possession is nine tenths of the law so the saying goes. If one cannot see how pragmatic the the Chinese interpretation of international laws in comparison to Americans, we have already lost the war.
                          they're a tiny fraction, but none of the rest of what they claim matters in the context of a military conflict. those rocks will be completely ignored and over looked and will play 0 role in the planning and execution of a naval war against china in the SCS
                          the answer is on the floor- john roseberry

                          A tiger dies and leaves his fur,
                          A man dies and leaves his name,
                          A teacher dies and teaches death.
                          Seikchi Toguchi 1917-1998

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by General_Jacke View Post

                            they're a tiny fraction, but none of the rest of what they claim matters in the context of a military conflict. those rocks will be completely ignored and over looked and will play 0 role in the planning and execution of a naval war against china in the SCS
                            Those rocks are SUPPORTED by the ships. You know..........the ones you claim the Zumwalt are ideal in a hunter/killer role.
                            Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

                            Prayers.

                            BoRG

                            http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Salinator View Post

                              Those rocks are SUPPORTED by the ships. You know..........the ones you claim the Zumwalt are ideal in a hunter/killer role.
                              i made no such claim. i stated how the USN intended to use them.

                              ya...rocks with a hut and a single dude being supported by ships...so worried about that.
                              the answer is on the floor- john roseberry

                              A tiger dies and leaves his fur,
                              A man dies and leaves his name,
                              A teacher dies and teaches death.
                              Seikchi Toguchi 1917-1998

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X