potential issues with the SCS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• potential issues with the SCS

To me it seems that the fishermen and what not from smaller claimant nations in the SCS would be getting fed up with the apparent inability by their nations' leadership, navies, and coast guards, at protecting them from chinese maritime militia vessels. fairly recently one rammed and sunk a vietnamese ship.

to me this seems like an environment ripe for unofficial militias for lack of a better term to self organize amongst these civilian sailors to protect themselves from the chinese aggressors.
    i could see molotovs becoming a common sight in the SCS to deter chinese aggressors, if not other greater improvised weapons

i wonder how such a development could effect the situation...would some nations outright support/endorse such militias and their actions? would some nations simply turn a blind eye on trying to investigate and arrest persons involved?
    the answer is on the floor- john roseberry

A tiger dies and leaves his fur,
    A man dies and leaves his name,
    A teacher dies and teaches death.
    Seikchi Toguchi 1917-1998

RPG's are easy to come by in that part of the world, have a decent range and can be devastating against patrol craft and even a frigate.That would be my choice.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      RPG's are easy to come by in that part of the world, have a decent range and can be devastating against patrol craft and even a frigate.That would be my choice.
      define devastating in regards to a (legitimate) frigate...also look at the japanese experience sinking a chinese militia boat...4 cutters with phalanx style guns and it still took quite a while to sink the boat.
      honestly i was just thinking a crew with molotovs and improvised weapons like we saw in the hong kong battles recently.
      5 guys tossing molotovs as fast as they can could probably burn most vessels that aren't dedicated military vessels up pretty well...

https://chuckhillscgblog.net/2020/04...3iTqLnrD8uNvmM
      Last edited by General_Jacke; 21 Apr 20, 18:05.

Comment

Originally posted by General_Jacke View Post

define devastating in regards to a (legitimate) frigate...also look at the japanese experience sinking a chinese militia boat...4 cutters with phalanx style guns and it still took quite a while to sink the boat.
        honestly i was just thinking a crew with molotovs and improvised weapons like we saw in the hong kong battles recently.
        5 guys tossing molotovs as fast as they can could probably burn most vessels that aren't dedicated military vessels up pretty well...

https://chuckhillscgblog.net/2020/04...3iTqLnrD8uNvmM
        The Iranians have frequently attacked our naval vessels in the Gulf with rpg's. "Devastating" - something that can destroy a tank or a small building, and is effective against the relatively thin aluminum armor common on American warships.

If I were a fishing boat captain, an rpg would probably probably the most effective man-portable weapon available to me, and it would give pause to the average Chinese skipper.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

The Iranians have frequently attacked our naval vessels in the Gulf with rpg's. "Devastating" - something that can destroy a tank or a small building, and is effective against the relatively thin aluminum armor common on American warships.

If I were a fishing boat captain, an rpg would probably probably the most effective man-portable weapon available to me, and it would give pause to the average Chinese skipper.
          it would also be hell to aim and successfully hit with outside of throwing range...in which case just use molotovs, they're cheaper and you can have lots of people tossing them.

also american warships have had steel hulls pretty much since the 80s when we found out aluminum makes shipboard fires much worse.

it's a lot easier to destroy a tank than it is to sink or destroy a ship, and i could probably destroy a garage (aka small building) with a commercially available firework

besides a lot harder to get in trouble for glass bottles, gasoline and styrofoam than it is to get in trouble for an RPG and rockets.
          Last edited by General_Jacke; 22 Apr 20, 12:35.

Comment

Originally posted by General_Jacke View Post

it would also be hell to aim and successfully hit with outside of throwing range...in which case just use molotovs, they're cheaper and you can have lots of people tossing them.

also american warships have had steel hulls pretty much since the 80s when we found out aluminum makes shipboard fires much worse.

it's a lot easier to destroy a tank than it is to sink or destroy a ship, and i could probably destroy a garage (aka small building) with a commercially available firework

besides a lot harder to get in trouble for glass bottles, gasoline and styrofoam than it is to get in trouble for an RPG and rockets.
            Good points all, so you take your bait and your molotov's, and I'll take my bait and my rpg's, and we'll meet at the fish market when we get back!

Comment

Meh.

Spar Torpedo. I can guarantee the Chinese Naval Militia wouldn't be expecting a 30ft steel pipe with 25kg of Semtex and a pressure plate on the end.......they go to ram, you turn away and thrust the sucker out.....they run into it....well damn, I don't know why they're sinking, we better continue on our way......
              Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                Meh.

Spar Torpedo. I can guarantee the Chinese Naval Militia wouldn't be expecting a 30ft steel pipe with 25kg of Semtex and a pressure plate on the end.......they go to ram, you turn away and thrust the sucker out.....they run into it....well damn, I don't know why they're sinking, we better continue on our way......
                i like the way you think lol

Comment

Name of the fishing boat "The African Queen"
                  Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse