• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force.

Some recent updates to their navy.

Japan Commissions its 1st Li-Ion Battery Submarine SS-511 JS Ōryū

JMSDF Commissions First-of-Class AEGIS Destroyer DDG-179 JS Maya

Japan Takes First Steps Towards Refurbishment Of JMSDF Destroyer Izumo

The purpose of this refurbishment is to give Izumo the operational capabilities of the state-of-the-art STOVL fighter jet, the F-35B.

To begin with, Izumo has been designed to operate the F-35B from the design stage. For example, Izumo’s aircraft elevators are designed to fit the size of the F-35B and to withstand its weight.
    https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news...stroyer-izumo/
    "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
    Ernest Hemingway.

They are a Top Five navy, IMO. The Li-ion batteries are said to give better performance than AIP. The Chinese hate the Japanese because of history, but I think they still secretly fear them.

Comment

I'm glad Japan has removed its restriction on operating fixed wing carrier aviation.

I'd like to see them lay down a class of America sized carriers next. I don't think they'll ever operate supercarriers, but if they'd build some CATOBAR middling-size carriers, that would provide them with enough force projection to protect their interests against China by making China have to put WAAAAY too much effort into suppressing them if they're also going to be taking on Taiwan, South Korea, and the US PacFlt simultaneously.
      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Will the two Izumo class have ski jumps on the flight deck?
        Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

Where the Sky Meets the Sea: F-35B Ski Jump Testing
          August 22, 2017

https://www.f35.com/in-depth/detail/...i-jump-testing

Japan’s two Izumo-class “helicopter destroyers” are supposed to be converted from helicopter carriers into small aircraft carriers, flying a dozen or so F-35 jump jets off newly fitted ski-jump flight decks just as British and Russian aircraft carriers do.
          A defense Web site has posted a photo – apparently a leaked Powerpoint slide – that shows an Izumo modified into a carrier that flies catapult-launched F-35C fighters – the same jets flown off the U.S. Navy’s carriers.

Interestingly, the bottom of the slide is marked General Atomics Electromagnetics. While best known as the manufacturer of America’s Reaper and Predator drones, General Atomics also makes the Electromagnetic Aircraft Launch System (EMALS) and Advanced Arresting Gear (AAG) that will replace traditional steam catapults and arresting gear on the new Ford-class carriers.
          https://nationalinterest.org/blog/bu...carrier-101787
          Last edited by OttoHarkaman; 08 Apr 20, 17:44.

Comment

This might seem to be an reasonable design.

4A797975-BF66-45E6-8560-8A07E827A33D.jpeg
            Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

Japan has launched its first dedicated submarine-hunting warship in nearly 30 years, with Tokyo concerned primarily with monitoring Chinese submarines operating close to and within its waters, while also keeping an eye on North Korea’s submersibles.

The twin-hulled ship, named Aki, was unveiled by the Japan Maritime Self-Defence Force (JMSDF) at a launch ceremony on January 15 at Mitsui Engineering & Shipbuilding’s facilities in Okayama Prefecture, central Japan. It is currently being fitted out before it can start sea trials.

The Aki, which weighs 3,048 tons, is the third in the JMSDF’s Hibiki class of ocean surveillance vessels, but the first since its sister ship was launched in 1992.

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/politics/article/3074680/japan-builds-new-surveillance-warship-targeting-chinese-north

579df88e-6370-11ea-8e9f-2d196083a37c_image_hires_175317.jpeg?itok=52OQpT-m&v=1583920402.jpg
              Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

They should be spending money on aircraft they can afford to lose not on aircraft they can't afford to replace.

Not that the Japanese are alone in making this mistake.

Comment

For a navy without a CATOBAR carrier there aren't any other options that are in production and reasonably good shape. The Brits and the Corps have utterly clapped out what's left of Harrier production, and there aren't other options for a STOVL fixed-wing aircraft.
                  Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

I see your point clearly they lack options.
                    To my way of thinking striking a balance between tech and quantity is paramount. War is attrition.

If you can't afford to lose planes, I guess even keeping them in the air is eye-watering expensive. Then at the end of the day what do you really have?

You have something that you can't afford to lose, barely afford to use, barely afford to maintain, practicing is a questionable luxury at best etc.
                    Last edited by walle; 09 Apr 20, 20:54.

Comment

The Japanese Diet, or parliament, approved a US$46.3 billion defense budget on March 27, replete with earmarks for new hypersonic anti-ship missiles and helicopter carrier upgrades that will allow for the carrying of Lockheed Martin F-35B stealth fighters.
                      Meanwhile, more China-oriented defense spending is on the way. Ministry of Defense forecasts show that the defense budget will increase to $48.4 billion in fiscal 2021 and rise to $56.7 billion by 2024.
                      https://asiatimes.com/2020/05/japan-...hina-conflict/
                      Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

Originally posted by walle View Post
                        I see your point clearly they lack options.
                        To my way of thinking striking a balance between tech and quantity is paramount. War is attrition.

If you can't afford to lose planes, I guess even keeping them in the air is eye-watering expensive. Then at the end of the day what do you really have?

You have something that you can't afford to lose, barely afford to use, barely afford to maintain, practicing is a questionable luxury at best etc.
                        The same applies even more to some countries' ships. Only fools build ships for national prestige.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X