Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Return of the High Speed Transport?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Return of the High Speed Transport?

    a while ago the commandant of the USMC said he wanted to distribute marines amongst more ships in an ARG to avoid having all of his eggs in one or two or three large expensive baskets.
    well austal heard him, and their answer is an enlarged, and armed version of the EPFs packing a mk110, at least 8 ASMs and SEAram, with the capability to transport a significant number of troops and supplies.

    think the USN will go for it? even if not to carry marines ashore, with the aging sealift fleet and the lack of sailors who know how to operate steam powered ships, a handful of these could help keep some sealift capability until more and newer ships can be built or purchased.
    the answer is on the floor- john roseberry

    A tiger dies and leaves his fur,
    A man dies and leaves his name,
    A teacher dies and teaches death.
    Seikchi Toguchi 1917-1998

  • #2
    Unless there's a huge problem with inserting marines by air I don't see a new class of fast transports being justified.
    ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
    IN MARE IN COELO

    Comment


    • #3
      most marines in an ARG aren't going to be inserted by air...particularly not their vehicles...
      the answer is on the floor- john roseberry

      A tiger dies and leaves his fur,
      A man dies and leaves his name,
      A teacher dies and teaches death.
      Seikchi Toguchi 1917-1998

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by General_Jacke View Post
        with the aging sealift fleet and the lack of sailors who know how to operate steam powered ships, a handful of these could help keep some sealift capability until more and newer ships can be built or purchased.
        Most of our amphibious ships have diesels. The EPFs are designed for intra-theatre transport. I saw the USNS Trenton in Malaga last year. I wasn't really impressed.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by General_Jacke View Post
          most marines in an ARG aren't going to be inserted by air...particularly not their vehicles...
          Oh. I thought you were referring to a quick response unit. Given the correct aircraft, however, it's entirely feasible to project a light armored recon battalion to a forward area.
          ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
          IN MARE IN COELO

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Jose50 View Post

            Oh. I thought you were referring to a quick response unit. Given the correct aircraft, however, it's entirely feasible to project a light armored recon battalion to a forward area.
            no, the commandant said he wants to disperse the marines in an ARG to complicate the enemy's targeting situation (instead of targeting purely one or two big decks, having marines on smaller vessels to force the enemy to spread their attacks out rather than saturate one or two specific ships.)
            the answer is on the floor- john roseberry

            A tiger dies and leaves his fur,
            A man dies and leaves his name,
            A teacher dies and teaches death.
            Seikchi Toguchi 1917-1998

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by johns624 View Post
              Most of our amphibious ships have diesels. The EPFs are designed for intra-theatre transport. I saw the USNS Trenton in Malaga last year. I wasn't really impressed.
              i don't recall them saying a specific size, but they mentioned the new concept would be larger than the EPFs (they had an osprey on the flight deck), and said it could act as a RO-RO as well.
              the answer is on the floor- john roseberry

              A tiger dies and leaves his fur,
              A man dies and leaves his name,
              A teacher dies and teaches death.
              Seikchi Toguchi 1917-1998

              Comment


              • #8
                Let's see how many arcane, inane, alliterative and unknown acronyms we can use.
                ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                IN MARE IN COELO

                Comment


                • #9
                  it seems they picked up on a concept the navy was already looking at so it might have pretty good chance of getting picked up.

                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEAB...OxUtRinB_I1H_0
                  the answer is on the floor- john roseberry

                  A tiger dies and leaves his fur,
                  A man dies and leaves his name,
                  A teacher dies and teaches death.
                  Seikchi Toguchi 1917-1998

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The Australian navy had a fortunate position in acquiring a catamaran just prior to the East Timor Conflict. And that paid big dividends in the logistical department and quick response times.

                    Running the catamaran was found to be more efficient than using air transport to move materiel to and from East Timor, with the higher sailing speed meaning she could turn around a payload faster than multiple C-130 Hercules flights for an equivalent load.
                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMAS_Jervis_Bay_(AKR_45)
                    "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                    Ernest Hemingway.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
                      The Australian navy had a fortunate position in acquiring a catamaran just prior to the East Timor Conflict. And that paid big dividends in the logistical department and quick response times.



                      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMAS_Jervis_Bay_(AKR_45)
                      interesting precursor, but i wouldn't quite put them in the same class since they're not armed.
                      the answer is on the floor- john roseberry

                      A tiger dies and leaves his fur,
                      A man dies and leaves his name,
                      A teacher dies and teaches death.
                      Seikchi Toguchi 1917-1998

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by General_Jacke View Post

                        interesting precursor, but i wouldn't quite put them in the same class since they're not armed.
                        More often than not, such a taskforce would be under the umbrella of a carrier strike group. An armed high speed transport isn’t going to add much of a effective extra layer of protection to what’s already provided.
                        "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                        Ernest Hemingway.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post

                          More often than not, such a taskforce would be under the umbrella of a carrier strike group. An armed high speed transport isn’t going to add much of a effective extra layer of protection to what’s already provided.
                          in the even of transporting troops maybe, but supplies probably not. the USN has already said they don't have ships to escort MSC vessels, but since its only armed with a 57mm a RAM, and 8 ASMs i think it's mostly just some basic self defense and that 'distributed lethality' concept.
                          the answer is on the floor- john roseberry

                          A tiger dies and leaves his fur,
                          A man dies and leaves his name,
                          A teacher dies and teaches death.
                          Seikchi Toguchi 1917-1998

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by General_Jacke View Post

                            in the even of transporting troops maybe, but supplies probably not. the USN has already said they don't have ships to escort MSC vessels, but since its only armed with a 57mm a RAM, and 8 ASMs i think it's mostly just some basic self defense and that 'distributed lethality' concept.
                            I wouldn't have that particular load out. Better bet for that duty would be a 76mm, a RAM, and then some ESSM. But in the interest of minimizing the expensive electronics, possibly 2 SeaRAM to give some self defense in a lighter package. I'd want any offensive missiles to be useful for ashore targets as well if installed.

                            The point is to maximize space for Marines and gear and minimize the expense of the ship and the crew requirements. I'd go with a helipad able to land an osprey, but hangar space for either 2 hueys or a seahawk. The 76mm can be dual purpose. The SeaRAM is for protection only as this isn't a frigate or even a Corvette. I might include space for more defensive or even offensive armament, but not a ton.
                            Last edited by TacCovert4; 02 Feb 20, 01:47.
                            Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by General_Jacke View Post
                              it seems they picked up on a concept the navy was already looking at so it might have pretty good chance of getting picked up.

                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEAB...OxUtRinB_I1H_0
                              With some changes that concept would make sense. I'd probably cut the speed slightly of all things as 50kt territory is pretty ridiculous. 35 is perfectly fine for this role.

                              One other thing to consider is amphibious capabilities. Not that much would be on any one ship. But if this is distributing lethality, several combined would need to be able to put stuff ashore amphibiously.
                              Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X