• Show
Clear All

• Sunken Japanese carriers found

Hi

Hope this is of interest

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-50124313

Regards

Andy
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

A lot of lost stuff is being found these days. Even Ballard is now running around looking for Amelia Earhardt. (Big special - didn't find it)

Makes me wonder why no one can find The Lost Squadron.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      A lot of lost stuff is being found these days....
      Anyone care to guess why ?

Has sonar improved ? Or has it simply become cheaper and more available to anyone doing historical research ?

This month's discoveries came after weeks of searching by crew members based on the research vessel Petrel. The vessel is owned by Vulcan Inc, a company created by the late Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen.
      The crew deployed an autonomous underwater vehicle (AUV) fitted with sonar, which helped to pinpoint the locations of the Kaga and Akagi.
      Last edited by Snowygerry; 23 Oct 19, 05:21.
      High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post

Has sonar improved ? Or has it simply become cheaper and more available to anyone doing historical research ?
        AI used in autonomous submersibles
        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
        Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          A lot of lost stuff is being found these days. Even Ballard is now running around looking for Amelia Earhardt. (Big special - didn't find it)

Makes me wonder why no one can find The Lost Squadron.
          I saw a map of the "Bermuda Triangle" recently and thought the same thing. Awful big area to search though.
          I wonder, with all this new AI tech that an autonomous vehicle, possibly nuclear powered, could survey the area and find all kinds of stuff that was lost.
          ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
          IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post

1. More searching for resources on the ocean bottoms.

2. highly improved sonar.

3. autonomous vehicles, and cheaper, more reliable UAV's.

4. Seems to be greater interest in finding historical wrecks. Earns big money on television.
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X